Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What chord is this?

Cygnus64

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have anything like that in my Real Book, but what about Fmi7 to Bb7 with a flat 9? What chord does it resolve to? EbMaj7, Eb6? If so that seems possible.

The RB version I have genearally does show any extensions past "7" for the first 11 measures.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

It's a b9 with a copyist's error of putting the b after the 9.

It's a ii V to Eb which you can see in the next measure.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It's a b9 with a copyist's error of putting the b after the 9.

It's a ii V to Eb which you can see in the next measure.

Yes and yes. Thank you for saving me the trouble of writing that. I'm glad I scrolled down. :D

Used to play this in a trio. The drummer would sing it, and he had a voice like Bluto (Popeye). All the finesse of a chain saw. I still laugh when I think of his gutteral rasp "I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree..."

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I have a version of it that was played on the Dinah Shore Chevy hour in 1960. It doesn't say who the singer was, it sounds like the one Mathis does now but not the version he used in the day.

The parts (xerox) were a mess and somewhat scattered and there was no score. Now there's a score and very neat parts. :laugh:

Used to play this in a trio. The drummer would sing it, and he had a voice like Bluto (Popeye). All the finesse of a chain saw. I still laugh when I think of his gutteral rasp "I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree..."

He was channeling Louie Armstrong. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hmmmm....I thought it was the elusive Bb 9/6 chord..... :laugh:

Nope, just a V chord

Just an old-fashioned V chord

Dominating you back to the One

Just an old-fashioned V chord

Use it right before your song is done

Archived