Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MMW in Madison

B3Nut

Went and caught MMW at the Majestic Theatre in Madison last night. Just....wow. I've never seen those guys live before (yes, I need to get out of the house more often when I'm not gigging!) John had the Clav, A-100, Wurly combo organ, Rhodes 54, melodica, and Mellotron. The sounds he was coaxing out of that rig were incredible. All three of them are superb players, a musical force of nature. :)

I had a CD autographed after the show, and I mentioned to John that he was in influence on my organ playing. He chuckled, grinned, and said "sorry!" :D Great night...I'm really glad I dragged my ass out of the house.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw him at a festival in Canada that we played a few months back. All the gear was backline (no Mellotron) but he was killin' it. Got to meet him and talk a bit after the show. A really genuine guy.

It was the first time I'd seen them since probably 1995 or so. And they sound better than ever. You can tell they really love playing.

I saw MMW several times in the early-mid 90's. I was living in DC. They were not yet well known outside of NY, but they would come down to DC pretty often. I can't describe how fun those shows were. The band was more straightforwardly groove-oriented than they would later become, and the audiences could relish that extra little thrill of being in on something that we knew was going to blow up.

Then I sort of lost interest in them. Not sure whether it was changes in them or changes in me. Probably both. But their impact has been huge, even just from the perspective of what a keyboard-centered instrumental band could sound like, Medeski's use of vintage gear, combining solid danceable grooves with insteresting sonic explorations. MMW has been a key source of inspiration for a generation of musicians and listeners.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

When I first heard MMW in the mid-90's, I was kind of underwhelmed, thought they were decent players, but the tunes and grooves didn't really do it for me. A few years alter, a friend turned me on to The Dropper, which I still think is their most "out" album, and I loved it. Also, heard a number of projects that Medeski did with John Zorn, including a bootleg-only homage to Tony Williams Lifetime, on which Medeski absolutely shreds.

Over the years, I've become a total fan. Seen them a number of times, and they are definitely a better live band than in the studio.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I had a CD autographed after the show, and I mentioned to John that he was in influence on my organ playing. He chuckled, grinned, and said "sorry!" :D

Classic. They are one of the bands that I will make the effort to catch any time they come in the state.

I've read a bunch of interviews and there is an interesting theme and relationship that they cultivate with the audience. Medeski talks often about needing the audience to be open to what is being created that night - not pushing (even if to themselves) to go more groovey/out/rock/etc. So if anyone goes to see them for the first time, just listen and see where it takes you.

I have travelled three times to see them - once in London, twice in Paris. Every time i left the hous a better musician and a happier person. Third time i went to see them with two of my band mates. It was a real blessing!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I've only seen them once. I left after 30 minutes due to a lack of good melodies. Honestly, I was bored.
This is exactly why I've never been able to get into them. Such a simple problem to solve for musicians of that caliber.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've seen them a few times - some night way better than others but always trying new things, taking chances, as we all should if attempting to make progressive music.

But my 16 year old son had the privilege of going to "camp" with them this summer and playing in John's band... I was staying nearby working remotely but snuck in for several evening shows and thoroughly dug every note MMW played. So much that I went completely analog for my home studio a month later - had the wurli and some moogerfoogers but added a Clav D6 last month... the A100 arrives Wednesday... Melotron out of reach I think...

Archived