Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Autotune live?

Mogut

Anyone have experience using this effect live onstage? I dont know much about it, I would have known it to be an after effect used in studios. But the band keeps talking about getting it.

Should a coverband just stay away from it, too much hassle?

[video:youtube]

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, pretty simple but like any effect it can be overdone.

There's a certain perverse irony there. :laugh: The effect almost has to be overdone to get the right sound, which of course is a crappy, cheezy overdone sound. :laugh:

Cheesy if you take it too seriously...

-Greg

Yes, pretty simple but like any effect it can be overdone.

There's a certain perverse irony there. :laugh: The effect almost has to be overdone to get the right sound, which of course is a crappy, cheezy overdone sound. :laugh:

I guess I'm a cynic: I find the effect 100% cheezy at all times. :laugh: That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it: if the goal was to emulate a certain song or artist, I wouldn't hesitate to use if it served that purpose.

IMHO there is never an appropriate time to use autotune live - it sucketh mightily - yea verily! I can't wait until it gets SO overplayed that even the lounge lizards and advertising droids get sick of it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I can't wait until it gets SO overplayed that even the lounge lizards and advertising droids get sick of it.
Yep, look what happened to prog rock, and hair metal :thu:

yeah, autotune is gimmicky IMO!

-Greg

I guess I'm a cynic: I find the effect 100% cheezy at all times. :laugh: That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it: if the goal was to emulate a certain song or artist, I wouldn't hesitate to use if it served that purpose.

I agree. When Cher did it, at least it was novel (though not particularly creative).

I think the "overdone" above meant how often it's used, not how much the effect is cranked up. But I still got a laugh from the irony. :-)

My reaction on hearing that effect is to change the music (station, CD, venue ... whatever).

I'd think for a coverband the key would be to only use it rarely, and to make it a fun gimmick (band looking surprised, hamming up any robot moves etc).

Audiences can often like the unexpected little extras that take them by surprise.

I can't wait until it gets SO overplayed

I feel the same way about "Reality TV". Waiting.... waiting... :(

Ah, sorry guys ... both have been overplayed for a loooonnnggg time, but doesn't stop the onslaught! :deadhorse:

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived