Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Will the McRib ever be permanently on the menu?

MojoGuyPan

All the talk about Wendy's new burger got me thinking. Fast food burgers generally suck, even the new Wendy's burger but The McRib has to be the crown jewel in the McDonalds menu. Do you think it'll ever be a permanent fixture at McDonalds?

Peace,

D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've seen the machine used to strip meat off the chicken bones for the nuggets in action and it is disgusting. I'm sure that the McRib is made in the same way as it too is fused and pressed into that weird shape that sort of looks like a small slab of ribs.

But oh man it is so freakin tasty. The combination of pork and the tangy BBQ sauce is a homerun. When they announce it each year, I am all over McDonalds. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead eating in there. But McRib is simply the Oscar Peterson of the fast food world.

Peace,

D

Phoenix has Honey Bear's which is okay, but this ain't Memphis out here. The big attraction to the McRib is the fact that it is some sort of awesome boneless ribs and the sauce brings it right up to the stratosphere.

Mate-Stubb, well it is pressed and fused and shaped, the grill marks are fake but the meat is 100% real rib meat.

That Simpsons clip was great the Ribwich even had the little fake ribs bones like the McRib. Like Homer said, they taste like the ribs of God.

I've had good ribs before but you have to deal with all the bones and gristle. The McRib is like the fishstick. Convenient and pleasant to eat. No muss, no fuss.

I don't know what it is with the McRib but I crave them. I won't touch a McNugget. Looking at the vivisection of one doesn't look like real meat. I've seen the liquid chicken that goes into the McNuggets. I haven't inspected a McRib like that. Ignorance is bliss. I did see where some guy maybe on Youtube took apart his McRib sandwich and washed the sauce off of the "meat" it looked really strange and unappetizing. But the same could be said for sausage and hot dogs, I love 'em but they always say that you never want to see them being made.

Peace Out,

D

But McRib is simply the Oscar Peterson of the fast food world.

I know much more about the latter than the former, but even my brief run-in with the McRib from way-back-when tells me, um, no, I'd respectfully have to disagree. :sick::D

I mean, I actually like Oscar Peterson's music, LOL. Just be careful and exercise moderation with your pressed-meat consumption ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

One McRib a year and I'm good. Seriously I'm not sure why they aren't on the menu year round but it doesn't bother me that they aren't.

McNuggets are vile. I don't care how they are made, they're gross and disgusting. I live by myself and am as lazy as anyone in the kitchen but it's so easy to cut up a chicken breast, dip the pieces in tempura batter, and deep fry here at home. In fact I did just that a few hours ago.

That's chicken nuggets :thu:

I cannot eat a McD's burger anymore, of any kind, i loooove burgers but that good sir, is no longer a burger, just if you wonder, yes in my country we do get Mcribs once a year for a limited time too, so its a corporation thing.

nowadays i prefer to pay a little more for a burger at a non fast food joint (applebees, TGI fridays, Chilli's) the beef looks like beef, even BK's and Wendy's beef looks more like beef than McDonalds.

i prefer to pay a little more for a burger at a non fast food joint

+1

Just had an Angus bacon cheeseburger a few days ago at a local restaurant owned by a friend of ours. Delicious with fresh lettuce and tomato. That's a burger.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

As a Memphis resident I can say I'm not sure why anyone in this town would purchase a McRib. I've never had one, but they do show up on the menu once a year. Now if you want some great RIBS, book a flight to Memphis, or drive here, and go to the Rendezvous, Cozy Corner, The BBQ Shop, or Neely's. If you want the best pork sandwich then you'll need to hit Payne's on Lamar Ave. It's in a sort of unsavory neighborhood, but totally worth it. Their slaw is out of control.

If you never had one, how would you know?

I am not a big McD fan, but for $2 or so you can't beat getting a sandwich which has a rib taste to it.

Regular BBQ around is not cheap. For the price of 2 McRibs I can almost get one real BBQ. Think of it as the peoples rib sandwich.

And please, even though it's not heaven on earth, at least TRY one of anything before you say that it sucks! :)

Another vote for a year-round McRib!

Thanks Gman,

I'd like to see a year round McRib too. The only good items on the McDonalds menu are the egg McMuffin, the poor man's chick-fil-a tribute, and the McRib.

You're also right about good BBQ being a bit expensive. I've been to Memphis several times and know that they have some choice restaurants and BBQ. Phoenix is the world of the strip mall, chain restaurant, and no culture. There are loads of Mexican and Tex-Mex places out here but everything else is an Applebees, PF Changs, Macaroni Grill, Buca di Beppo, Cheesecake Factory type place. You know its sad when even the Chinese restaurants have to be chains to make it.

Maybe I need to move to Memphis. The economy can't be as bad as it is here in PHX.

Peace out,

D

mmmmm.....PIZZA!

I posted on another thread about junk food, in that another good value are the $1.00 double hamburgers at McDs.

Hey, you can chow down now with the "poorman's platter extravaganza": 1 of these $1 doubles, a McRib, small fries with a glass of water for about $4!

Don't forget those $1 sausage and egg breakfast burritos at McDs also! I get 2 of those sometimes and take them to my daily Starbucks stop, and eat like a king with a grande coffee, free coffee refill and the 2 burritos for about $4.25.

You gots to do it! I call that one the "breakfast blues platter"! :)

I dont know why you guys are even comparing the McRib to BBQ - they aren't even remotely the same thing. That would be like comparing my kids' fruit snacks that are pressed into fruit shapes to real fruit. It would be more accurate to compare them to gummy bears or something. That being said, I don't know what you would compare the McRib to...a malformed hot dog in a nasty sauce?

....actually, I have a theory: maybe he McRib is what happens when the McNugget malfunctions. Rather than throw it out, the mix up some ketchup, mustard, corn syrup, and liquid smoke, and call it a McRib.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Some people think BBQ is any meat or meat-like substance slathered in a spicy tomato sauce.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Applebees is my favorite 'fast food' restaurant. :laugh::cool:

They don't have a drive-thru. I can't remember the last time I went INTO a McDonalds, but I hit the drive-thru a few times a month. Although the best drive-thru fast food around here is Lion's Choice...I have that almost once a week. You can get a kid's meal with veggie sticks instead of fries.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived