Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweet Caroline Intro

Fusker

So what's up with that intro instrumentation wise? My band decided to add a double shot of Neil Diamond...I'm guessing quite a few of you have dealt with the intro on this tune, how did you approach it?

Thanks!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's up with that intro instrumentation wise? My band decided to add a double shot of Neil Diamond...I'm guessing quite a few of you have dealt with the intro on this tune, how did you approach it?

Thanks!

I'm working on laptop speakers here so I may be a bit off, but it sounds like (in order of appearance) guitar, organ, flugelhorn, then brass section.

Larry.

I'm working on laptop speakers here so I may be a bit off, but it sounds like (in order of appearance) guitar, organ, flugelhorn, then brass section.

Larry.

+1, to elaborate:

1. Organ (LH), then

2. Organ (LH) + fuglehorn (RH), then

3. Organ (LH) + brass (RH)

I use four splits on this song (organ, fuglehorn, brass, strings). Fun tune to play!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My experience is that you can do whatever you please to get into the song; the audience is only waiting to yell "Bah Bah Baaaaaaaaah" at the top of their lungs during the choruses, and the sooner you get to that, the happier they are. ;)

The actual intro on the original recording has the guitar and organ starting at the same time; the guitar plays the rhythmic pulse while the organ plays the melody... but I suppose there are alternate versions around that have any number of variations.

You might be overthinking this tired old chestnut, frankly. ;)

The actual intro on the original recording has the guitar and organ starting at the same time; the guitar plays the rhythmic pulse while the organ plays the melody...

Yep.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

the audience is only waiting to yell
"Get to the workin' overtime part!!"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My experience is that you can do whatever you please to get into the song; the audience is only waiting to yell "Bah Bah Baaaaaaaaah" at the top of their lungs during the choruses, and the sooner you get to that, the happier they are. ;)

Now THAT'S funny (because it's true). :laugh:

Tom

PS Ummmmmmmmm, +1.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It is one of those songs that spans generational and cultural divides like few other songs are capable of doing.

Especially if everyone is drunk.

Combine it with "Highway To Hell" and you'll really have them in your pocket.

More important than the intro is making sure you have a lead singer who can hit a strong :laugh: low F# in a club band setting.

+1. (Seriously :) )

We played this song a few times a few years ago; I couldn't quite hit that note.

Stuff and things.

We start the intro with just a quarter note "pulse" on the opening chord (which I play with a simple piano voice). When we actually start the intro I swell in the Motif VeloHorns patch on top of the piano to play the intro melody. Once we hit the chorus - I add a bit of strings with my left hand on my 2nd board.

As Sven says - it's the singalong stuff that makes the tune an audience fave - I think you can use pretty much whatever sounds goods to you and nobody would notice much less actually care.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

You might be overthinking this tired old chestnut, frankly. ;)

Can I use this? It's the "that's what she said" of KC.

Reminds me of an old joke...

The Cow, the Ant and the Old Fart

A cow, an ant and an old fart are debating on who is the greatest of the three of them.

The cow said, "I give 20 quarts of milk every day and that's why I am the greatest!"

The ant said, "I work day and night, summer and winter, I can carry 52 times my own weight and that's why I am the greatest!"

Why are you scrolling down? It's your turn to say something.

:laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I play this part on the organ. The first guy that asks for fake horns is going to get the hairy eyeball from me.. and no horns.

+1. Not a big fan on non-KB sounds unless I'm playing 2nd KB in a show.

That being said, I added a finger-picked banjo part to "Fire On the Mountain" at a country band rehearsal as a joke. The singer insisted I leave it, so I humor him.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived