Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introducing the NEW semi-weighted Novation Impulse!!

Darcity

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/impulse/Overview/

What are your thoughts?

I personally would've thought that they would've improved on the SL MKII and made that semi-weighted (no 76 or 88 keys...what is the mindset)?!

Is this a direct competitor to the M-Audio, oops I mean AVID, Axiom Pro 61?

[video:youtube]

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pads on the Akai and M-Audio aren't that great. With the Akai at least you can disassemble them and place tape/pads underneath to increase the sensitivity. If Novation can come with good pads out oft the box a lot of people will be happy.

But it's a little strange that they didn't just update the SL Mark II line of controller keyboards (which I think still cost more than these new ones). No touch-sensitive knobs like the SL units but a lot more knobs for twiddling.

very good looking keyboard, wonder how much it's gonna cost and how is the semi-weighted keybed actually feels, I wish like kronos semi-weighted...

I have recently bought novation nocturn 49 and built quality is excellent as well as the action fro the not weighted board.

At least they improved the pads, for what that's worth. I like my Cakewalk A800-Pro very much as a synth action, but I'd be curious to see how this feels. (I thought the SLMkii was just borderline "okay"). If it's closer my Kurzweil PC3's action, that would make it passable for piano. The two together + laptop would be a super lightweight dual key rig.

UI looks better than the SLMkii, which I found too "touchy".

Actual MIDI i/o on this, or just USB?

-John

I make software noises.

we have both midi and usb, nice, wonder if its heavy...

http://www.soundware.co.uk/imgPool/Novation%20Impulse%2049%20Key%20Midi%20Keyboard1_width=700&height=600&crop=true.jpg

http://www.soundware.co.uk/imgPool/Novation%20Impulse%2049%20Key%20Midi%20Keyboard2_width=700&height=600&crop=true.jpg

don't like novations action and the keys are too short and fat. That seems to be the norm these days but I'd rather have a roland, they seem to at least have the key shape right.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

motif... thanks for that shot of the rear of the keyboard. I didn't see that on Novation's site. Web-blindness?

Throbert: that shortened key thing can be a bother, although I find that if it still pivots ok, unless you play way at the back of the keys, it's workable.

Is it just me or do the keys appear to have more of a matte finish? That could make this nice choice as well.

I make software noises.

well. yea pivot is one thing, but when the black keys are too close and playing streched out runs or chords and you come up short because the keys are wider than normal.

don't like novations action and the keys are too short and fat.

and where did you measure this??? because before I bought nocturn I went to store especially to check keys length different controllers. Guess what, novation had the longest one, m-audio and roland have around 1cm (0.4 inch) shorter keys, roland also has very narrow keys, black ones in particular. Novation has very playable and quiet keys.

well. yea pivot is one thing, but when the black keys are too close and playing streched out runs or chords and you come up short because the keys are wider than normal.

wider then normal? :facepalm:

what is normal for you?

because for me it's acoustic piano keybed...

I measured the keys on my remote SL, a few years ago so I don't remember the difference and they are wider then the ones on my kawai. For me it was a noticable amount. It might be a different keybed now. who knows, but it also might be barrowed from maudio

Very interesting timing! I posted the following in the KC Classifieds about a week ago as I was looking for an M-Audio Axiom to buy:

...if anybody has any other suggestions for a similar midi controller, feel free to mention it (I know M-Audio is not the most reputable brand around here). I'm looking for 61 keys, synth action or fast semiweighted (I'll be using this for organ, synths, strings, bass, and anything else that my Casio PX320 and it's sluggish action isn't suited for), 9 faders for drawbar control, and also pitch/mod wheels (for synth, bass etc duties). I hear great things about the actions of Novation controllers, but the Nocturn doesn't have faders/drawbars, and the Remote SL has that funky looking joystick thing instead of traditional wheels.

Prophetic! Now assuming the price is right, and the action isn't too heavy for synth work (semi-weighted is such a vague term that covers such a wide range of actions...) I'll be all over it.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

From the Keyboard website:

Novations Impulse Range will be shipping in September 2011, priced:

Impulse 25: USA: $329.99 MSRP / $249.99 at dealers. UK: £199.99 inc. VAT typical street price. DE: 259 inc. Tax UVP (MSRP)

Impulse 49: USA: $449.99 MSRP / $349.99 at dealers. UK: £249.99 inc. VAT typical street price. DE: 339 inc. Tax UVP (MSRP)

Impulse 61: USA: $499.99 MSRP / $399.99 at dealers. UK: £299.99 inc. VAT typical street price. DE: 399 inc. Tax UVP (MSRP)

Looks very interesting - going by what's on paper, at least. I would have been *very* interested in this, if I didn't need 73/76 keys...

...but I'm optimistic - if this product succeeds, a 76-key version doesn't seem too unlikely...

:snax:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Hmmm.....I wonder what you guys think is the best small controller (2-3 octaves) with regard to keyboard with decent action and aftertouch? I could use a little something to knock around with my laptop and headphones away from the studio......? The Impulse looks intriguing.

When is anyone going to do a proper live controller. With zones. And direct access presets.

I'm talking to you, Kurzweil.

The Kurzweil SP4 actually performs that function somewhat nicely. You can consider the built in sounds a bonus. ;-)

Also, the Axiom Pro 61 is a decent live controller with 4 zones and a ten-key keypad, plus 9 sliders and aftertouch. So if 61-keys is enough, that's a pretty versatile board and a good value.

Of course, another consideration is the feel of the actions on these boards. I slightly prefer the feel of the SP4-7 over that Axiom, but they are very similar, and neither would be among my favorite actions.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, the SP4 doesn't have enough sliders and knobbage to run softsynths running on a Receptor, for instance.

I'd love to have the PC3 interface, lose the minimoog wheels for something more to my liking, keep the plug in ribbon controller.

And sell a 76 key version for $800 - $900. I'd buy one.

Moe

---

Well, the SP4 doesn't have enough sliders and knobbage to run softsynths running on a Receptor, for instance.

True. Though you could add a Novation Zero SL or some such.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

BTW why they don't do 37keys version??? I find 37keys the most optimal for travelling and playing. 25 keys is useless for playing and 49keys too big especially if the chose to put those silly wheels on the left which I never use anyway...

+1. I was lucky enough a couple of years ago to get a Novation ReMOTE 37 SL at a clearance blow-out price. Love it. Can't imagine trying to work with 25 keys and 49 wouldn't fit on my computer keyboard shelf. The 37 fits perfectly just north of the qwerty keyboard and is actually useful.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

For me and PC I LIke them providing a driver so I can Tell instead of everything having the same name in the assignment page.

I'm looking at this intently. My Axiom is on its last legs, and I need both 9 sliders for drawbars (most other controllers only have 8 sliders...) and the MPC-style pads. If I ever get more involved with Ableton Live this looks pretty damned ideal as well. Fantastic news. Could anyone find out what difference there is between this and Nocturn (except that there's a 61-key model)? I assume Automap plays nice with Mainstage?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I'd love to have the PC3 interface, lose the minimoog wheels for something more to my liking, keep the plug in ribbon controller.

That´s why I buyed the PC361 and love to have the MOOG style wheels, all the pedal inputs AND the ribbon controller, sliders as well as buttons in setup mode.

Combine it w/ any existing 88-weighted keys controller via MIDI In of PC361,- and it´s dead on for controlling a DAW over USB MIDI while using it as a tone generator and synth action keyboard over physical MIDI I/O in a live playable rig set up simultaneously here in my room.

And sell a 76 key version for $800 - $900. I'd buy one.

A blow out PC3 w/ 76 semi weighted keys would do it IMO,- and you´d have the additional sounds from PC3 available.

A.C.

some sites are taking pre orders this board already.

In stock next week as they say. I'm interested in trying this one out also because bundled Ableton Live Lite which I wanted to try.

Action should be semi-weighted so except some metal underneath the keys like in motif XS for instance.

Archived