Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hurricane Irene

johnchop

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious concerns about points north of there as well. Take care, everyone.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2011/08/irene-still-a-major-hurricane-taking-a-closer-look-at-possible-ny-effects/

The National Hurricane Centers official forecast track brings Irene over the extreme eastern edge of North Carolina, and straight up the coast along Virginia, New Jersey and inland somewhere near Manhattan. Wow. Thats striking right at the heart of this countrys political and economic epicenters.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We could use the rain - especially for the forest and swamp fires SE of Jacksonville and in the Great Dismal Swamp. Tomorrow morning, I'll be moving all the stuff off the pool deck, and probably disconnecting and moving all the computers on the bottom row in the shop, just in case.

I lived through all the storms in E.N.C. in the 50's and 60's like Hazel, Ione, and Dianne, including the hour or so of quiet when the eye passed over before the wind snd rain started from the other direction. We have a reasonably solid home, high enmough there shouldn't be flooding. Just hope all the nearby trees stay up. I'd really like for it to take a more easterly heading than the course right now, but I've learned over the years that predicting direction of a hurricane even for 5 or 10 hours is not easy.

The officials have called for mandatory evacuations in several counties that are north east of me - not just on the beaches but the whole counties.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Right now the storm is 200 miles due east of us. Not much rain coming from it right now.

It's only slightly windy, maybe 15-20 MPH. But the track has it going just off the east coast, with strong winds.

I was a bit concerned, because the initial forcast track had the center of the storm going directly over us, but as happens a lot, the forcast kept moving east.

Having lived through several bad storms in a row in 2004, including Hurricane Frances followed 3 weeks later by Hurricane Jeanne, I can say that they need to be taken very seriously. If the order comes to evacuate, do it. Property can be replaced. Lives can't.

To everyone along the East Coast, be safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Latest track shows that the tropical storm force winds will be hitting North Carolina by early to mid afternoon today, landfall of the center around midnight or so as a Category 3. Tropical storm force extends west of Raleigh. It a nasty one, so everyone be smart, and safe.

Clonk Here

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Our drummer and bass player were evacuated from Currituck, NC and south of VA Beach respectively. The city of Poquosson, VA had people in Fema trailers for three years after Isabelle. We have two members in Hampton. I'm a little better off being almost 40 miles from the coast. This could be a nightmare.

I'm supposed to vacation next week in Wilmington NC next week!

I hope the hotel is still there!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The officials have called for mandatory evacuations in several counties that are north east of me - not just on the beaches but the whole counties.

Hey Jim. This is nothing new. Shouldn't be a problem. But if I can help you out, let me know.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

To alla youse on the East Coast: Be safe! Thinking about you and hoping for the best!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

We're supposed to have an outdoor gig Sunday afternoon in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, which can only happen if (1) the weather is okay and (2) the lead singer can get here Saturday from New York City. I am not sanguine...

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

We're supposed to have an outdoor gig Sunday afternoon in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland,

I had a solo gig scheduled for tonight here in SE Pennsylvania (outdoors) that was obviously cancelled. The rain will likely start soon and continue through tomorrow morning. We're praying that we won't have any high winds.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Heavy rain at the moment for me (in Montgomery County, Maryland), and the wind seems to be picking up a bit. All in all, though, doing fine. According to a FB post, though, Brother Eric is now without power in Richmond....

Just had a momentary power outage here, but it came back on. Lots of rain and medium winds right now.

I heard a couple of tornado warnings on the news earlier, plus reports of damaged homes in lower Delaware.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I've seen both sides of hurricanes. We had Rita cause the whole town to flee and nothing happened (here). I'm not even sure we got any rain. Then we had Ike pound us for an entire night and knock out power for up to nearly three weeks for some (we were lucky as we got power back in about eight days). Hopefully Irene will be more like Rita and mostly just a nuisance. Better to be safe than sorry.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We have bypassed this one in Raleigh. My daughter I'm Wilmington is without power but unscathed by this storm. It could have been much worse. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Neighbor had a huge tree fall. Just missed his house. I have several missing shingles and no power. The lack of air conditioning, and refrigeration sucks. Ton of stuff spoiling. No idea when we will get power. We are rural so last on the list.

Last time it took weeks and that was just a tropical storm. My generator would choose this moment to crap out!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Neighbor had a huge tree fall. Just missed his house. I have several missing shingles and no power. The lack of air conditioning, and refrigeration sucks. Ton of stuff spoiling. No idea when we will get power. We are rural so last on the list.

Last time it took weeks and that was just a tropical storm. My generator would choose this moment to crap out!

Good luck, man!

Glad to see most everyone came out ok. Our power flickered 4-5 times but was never out for more than a minute.

Archived