Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played my NE3 through a different amp yesterday

MAJUSCULE

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of something from long ago. I always played my Juno 60 through a PA, and eventually sold it to a friend.

He had it set up to play through a MusicMan guitar amp. I didn't like the string sounds and others that way, but when I called up my old Hammond imitation patches I was amazed at how much better they sounded!

It's great what a tube or two does to certain sounds. The speaker coloration/distortion is real significant too, a lot more than most people realize. Unfortunately speaker sims are still very weak: most are done using convolutions, which assume linear response and linear they ain't!

Funny, I'm coming to a similar conclusion but from the opposite end. I use a guitar amp (bassman/showman) for keys (Rhodes, NE2/3) but have been toying lately with powered PA's. I mainly use rhodes, organ, clav, and whurly, and the fender just voices those so well in a band setting I don't think I can give it up. Still looking for a solution for acoustic piano patches though .... maybe some serious eq'ing is in order?

EQing an acoustic piano patch to sound good thru a guitar amp is a bit like polishing a turd to see what it's made of, methinks. It's still going to stink.

For the other patches, the guitar amp can make sense as they were often played thru amps like that back in the day.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Back in the day I ran my dyno'd MK 1 through an old Fender Bassman stack. Wicked loud, warm and lovely. The amp head had been rewired by some previous owner who forgot to ground it. If you touched the metal tabs that held the strap on top you'd get pure, unadulterated 120 AC though your hand. Good times.

+1 on Joe. I've tried my Nord's EPs with a Fender and peavey tube amps, it really felt "alive", like i woke up some kind of a monster, amazing sound. But for the APs it's a no go.
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I once played a S90 (Yamaha Motif just after the first ones) through as I recall a Riddenbecker or something, which was totally cool at not soaring volume level like much more alive and stage-ish. Boring after a little while though, all that guitar type of distortion and singular transient trick. Like the same instrument on PAs works pretty good, in spite of an initial bore factor of another kind.

My NE2's ep's sounded great through my old JC120A, but organ and AP were foul. Carting 2 amps is the solution, but ain't going to happen.
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I have hopes that the Musebox which is going to come loaded with the Revalver amp modeling software will prove to be the universal solution and bringer of world peace.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I play the Wurli patch on the Motif ES rack through a little overdrive pedal (made for bass guitar) that adds some grit to it. I can just turn the pedal off when I need to play "acoustic" piano. Works well.
Yep, that's exactly what I do as well. Simple, elegant
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

You are wasting your time trying to get acoustic piano patches to sound good thru a guitar amp.

That is why lots of powered PA speakers are in keyboard rigs!

EQing an acoustic piano patch to sound good thru a guitar amp is a bit like polishing a turd to see what it's made of, methinks. It's still going to stink.

For the other patches, the guitar amp can make sense as they were often played thru amps like that back in the day.

That's definitely been my conclusion so far. A nice, smooth, shiny ... turd.

For me, AP would be a nice plus but not at all a necessity. I can get Ep's & clav to sound perfect through a guitar rig, and still have the organ sound very good. With a PA I found even the AP was still finicky and the EP's & clav were way off what I was looking for. So it's not a hard choice for me.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a Mesa Boogie Mark I re-issue. I think the output section of this amp is sorta based on a Fender Twin, with selectable 60/100W from four 6L6s. The input section is all Mesa Boogie. He was never happy with his guitar tone and left it with me for awhile. I started playing my E2 through it and it was *amazing* for Rhodes. Super punchy, lots of bark, really remarkable. It was OK for organ, and it made the awful C2 acoustic piano sounds even more awful. But the Rhodes was so good I forsake AP for a long time. If I needed AP I'd bring the Receptor and play that through a Bag End.

At some point I figured he was gonna want his amp back, so I started looking on CL for another Mark I reissue and found one - blond, just like his. I could never get a decent tone out of it, but when Paul played guitar through it, it sounded great. So we ended up swapping amps. It turns out that at some point someone had swapped out the speaker in the first Boogie for an EV 12L, which I guess it just too clean a speaker for guitar but sounded great for Rhodes.

So yeah, a Nord's Rhodes through a clean & punchy guitar amp is a wonderful thing.

I got a Stage 2 awhile back but I've been too busy to try it with the Boogie, which is packed away at the moment. When I got the S2 I also got a pair of K10s, which turned out to be overkill. I leave one set up in the studio and leave the other ready to gig. But the acoustic pianos on the S2 are too nice to defile with a guitar amp, and the Rhodes sounds fine through K10 too.

Many years ago a friend of mine bought a Mesa Boogie Mark I re-issue. I think the output section of this amp is sorta based on a Fender Twin, with selectable 60/100W from four 6L6s. The input section is all Mesa Boogie. He was never happy with his guitar tone and left it with me for awhile. I started playing my E2 through it and it was *amazing* for Rhodes. Super punchy, lots of bark, really remarkable. It was OK for organ, and it made the awful C2 acoustic piano sounds even more awful. But the Rhodes was so good I forsake AP for a long time. If I needed AP I'd bring the Receptor and play that through a Bag End.

At some point I figured he was gonna want his amp back, so I started looking on CL for another Mark I reissue and found one - blond, just like his. I could never get a decent tone out of it, but when Paul played guitar through it, it sounded great. So we ended up swapping amps. It turns out that at some point someone had swapped out the speaker in the first Boogie for an EV 12L, which I guess it just too clean a speaker for guitar but sounded great for Rhodes.

So yeah, a Nord's Rhodes through a clean & punchy guitar amp is a wonderful thing.

I got a Stage 2 awhile back but I've been too busy to try it with the Boogie, which is packed away at the moment. When I got the S2 I also got a pair of K10s, which turned out to be overkill. I leave one set up in the studio and leave the other ready to gig. But the acoustic pianos on the S2 are too nice to defile with a guitar amp, and the Rhodes sounds fine through K10 too.

12L's have generally been the stock speaker in Mesas, so it is more likely yours that is stock and your friend's that was swapped out. They are relatively flat and full-range speakers compared to almost any other guitar amp speaker - much more like PA speakers. That said, 12L's are actually very common speakers for guitar, particularly with Mesas and Dumble-derived amps.

Interestingly, it was 12L's that I used in my key rig up until a few weeks ago. Due to back issues I started looking for a lighter option and found the Jensen 12" Neo's, which sound extremely similar to the 12L's and weigh about 4 lbs each.

Especially on the palm smears! (I know, that's organ terminology, but still...)

Archived