Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone ever see the original Oasys?

Synthoid

Korg introduced the original Oasys at NAMM in 1995. It never was commercially available, but a variety of subsequent synths and workstations were based on its technology, including the Oasys PCI card that was released about 5 years later.

I was curious if anyone was there at that 1995 NAMM show, and had a chance to see/hear the original unit (pictured here below the Prophecy).

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/images/oreilly/digitalmedia/2005/11/oasys-original.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no (didn't want you to feel lonely with no replies.)

yeh me either

Anyone ever see the original Oasys?

well I guess you may have been the only one to see one of these desert named synths...

so being the only one to see this desert named synth..perhaps it was really a Mirage?

sorry an attempt at humour...but it pushed you back to the top....bump.

This is a good version too.

[video:youtube]

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have, but I don't think I count...

Although I wasn't working for Korg when it was introduced, and since I was at a competitor at the time (Ensoniq) they wouldn't let me into any of the demos. A great player/programmer named Ben Dowling did those demos in the private suite.

That proto was dubbed "the blue bomber".

:-)

Jerry

Although I wasn't working for Korg when it was introduced, and since I was at a competitor at the time (Ensoniq) they wouldn't let me into any of the demos. That proto was dubbed "the blue bomber".

:-)

Jerry

ahaa Corporate Espionage.. so I was right with my joke.....

Jerry proved it was a mirage....an Ensoniq Mirage.

[for the youngin's an Ensoniq Mirage was an 8-bit sampler circa 1984]

but seriously...I bumped this thread to find out more about the prototype....any other facts? or even fiction.

Here's some interesting information about the "Blue Bomber" in these Sound On Sound articles:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/korgoasys.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/mar95/korgoasys.html

And if you aren't bored yet, here's yet another article:

http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/musician/korg-oasys/

thanks mate will check em' out

cheers Aussie

edit; thanks now I understand the lineage...I hadnt understood what was going on with your first post on the brown bomber..as i had thought it wasalready a production synth...that last link put it into perspective and now understand the difference between the first announcement to the last production oasys named synth .thanks.

I was able to hear it way back when -- IIRC 1994, not '95 as in this photo. It was 'mostly operational' at the time. Charlie Bright of Korg R&D spent about 45 minutes w/ Andrew Schlesinger and myself showing us the highlights, and I was investigating doing development for it. I believe it was '94 because I'm pretty sure I got SynthKit before the Prophecy was released.

I still have the SynthKit hardware and software buried around here somewhere... just got to fire up a Nubus Mac and OS 7.. lol !

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

thanks now I understand the lineage...I hadnt understood what was going on with your first post on the brown bomber..as i had thought it was already a production synth...that last link put it into perspective

I heard about the original Oasys over at the Korgforums website.... before the 2005 release of the Oasys we all know and love. :D

There wasn't much info posted about it and I didn't give it much thought until recently.

thanks now I understand the lineage...I hadnt understood what was going on with your first post on the brown bomber..as i had thought it was already a production synth...that last link put it into perspective

I heard about the original Oasys over at the Korgforums website.... before the 2005 release of the Oasys we all know and love. :D

There wasn't much info posted about it and I didn't give it much thought until recently.

if you happened to see the prototype, would you pry off the data wheel ?

:)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived