Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another dead x-stand video ...

fjzingo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of all the boards to entrust to an x, I think an XS8 would be near the bottom of the list!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Always hated X-stands...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Some find inspiration in the mantra, "Play every solo like it's the last one you'll get to play before you die." Apparently Matt Cooper has adapted that to, "Play every solo like it's the last one you'll get to play before your overloaded X-stand comes crashing down." And he adjusts his rig to make sure there's always a decent chance that that's actually the case. ;)

(Though I have to admit, last week when my brand new $200 Standtastic failed on its second gig*, the $20 Guitar Center X-stand in the trunk saved the day.)

*My own fault, not the stand's.

Well, putting a Motif XS anything on an X stand is asking for it, and he got it!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I just cant figure X-stands out... There is no room for your feet or for pedals... and they usually collapse...

WS550 Baby!!!!!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

These just arrived in time for the summer x-stand collection at Guitar Center:

http://www.kitchencritic.co.uk/upload/2009/03/skullduggery-ironing-boards.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm wondering if these x stand problems are from actual hardware failures, or from someone not inserting the pin all of the way through the hole.

I've been using X stands for the past 14 years or so, and so far no problems for me. I have 5 of them.

I've never had one collapse; I have 3. I have enough room for 3 sustain pedals and an expression pedal, and that's including room for the legs of the OTHER X-stand I use for my second tier.

But I sure wouldn't put a Rhodes on a single X!

Matt Cooper is forgiven because he's a fantastic player. Check him out in Incognito on YouTube.

Still, that's scary.

I remember Matt back in the early to mid 90s... he was doing much better stuff back then I think... very very hip player..

Yeah Matt is great, one can wonder how many gigs he has done before his x-stand collapsed...

I only heard him with Incognito, apart from that odd video on youtube with the rhodes and clavinet above?

Yeah Matt is great, one can wonder how many gigs he has done before his x-stand collapsed...
Notice that the title of the video is

"Incognito's Matt Cooper drops my Motif XS8"

It looks like the Motif and the x-stand belong to this guy ThePragmo, not Matt Cooper. ThePragmo has one other video where he's playing what looks like the same Motif.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The 2nd tier on my x stand broke Saturday night - not during performance, but while tearing down. It's the style that uses teeth that lock together when you tighten them down. The knob came off the screw that tightens it.

So now decisions, decisions - what to pick up before Friday??? I could just use my broken V stand with a screwdrive and some duck tape. Or my Apex with a 2x4 to give my fusion the necessary tilt so I can see the display.

Any of the stands I've actually been wanting to try, I'd have to order.

I hate keyboard stands....all of them!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

(Though I have to admit, last week when my brand new $200 Standtastic failed on its second gig*, the $20 Guitar Center X-stand in the trunk saved the day.)

*My own fault, not the stand's.

What happened to the Standtastic? In my imagination I can see one of the pins set incorrectly, which is probably the same thing that causes most x-stand failures. Or maybe one of the allen bolts holding the "arms" in place came loose? I quickly lost one of the wing-nuts that secures one of the diagonal braces of my Standtastic. I could see something like that causing failure. In fact, it seems like there are many more opportunities for a standtastic to fail than an x-stand!

I've given up on my 3-tier Standtastic. It's too fiddly, with too many pins and screws, and parts to lose, and it takes up so much room and threatens to poke people in the eye.

I hate keyboard stands....all of them!

I hear you! It's been a source of constant frustration for me. If I were you I'd go with the screwdriver and duct tape, and order something good. Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind?

(for the record I'm quite pleased with my 2-tier monolith, though the recent thread about table-tops has me intrigued)

What happened to the Standtastic?

Based on comments on this board, I knew to be careful not to lose the wingnuts... but I forgot there are wingnuts on the back as well as the sides, and I didn't check them, and I lost one after the second gig. But since I got a replacement (and a handful of spares, naturally), I've had no more problems.

I got the Standtastic because I recently switched to a 3-board rig, after a long time using a 2-board rig with two (*gasp*) x-stands. While there are things I don't like about the Standtastic, I think it's the best option for my needs (I sit, and I want all 3 boards stacked, and tiered as closely as I can get away with). I'll be the first to say I miss the convenience of just dropping a couple x-stands in place, but the more I use the Standtastic, the more "auto-pilot" it becomes. Except for a little side-to-side sway that I only notice when I do a big gliss, it's rock solid. The ends of the arms have some rough metal edges that can be painful if you accidentally jab a finger into one, and I'm thinking of covering them in moldable, removable plastic. Oh, and I was debating between getting the tall 3-tier version, or the short 2-tier version plus an extra tier. I went with the tall one and ended up with the legs sticking up far above the top board, which really looked kind of ridiculous. After three nights of my bandmates making jokes about kicking field goals through it, mounting a flat-screen on it, etc., I took a hacksaw to it (yes, literally) and cut the legs down to a more manageable size.

Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind?

I have been considering the standtastic or the K&M Spider.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If the Spider is built any where near as well as the 18880 & 18881 stand that I have from K&M - aircraft grade aluminum with real pro looking welds - it will hold up very well.

Spacing between keyboards is not ideal, but a 2 tier stand that weighs about 10 pounds and sets up in a few seconds - I don't haul around my 2 tier Z stand any more.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Of course, if I wanted to stick to the whole 80s tribute thing, I suppose I should use an A-Frame...no thanks!

Dan

Dan that Spider would look pretty cool in an 80's band.

The ends of the arms have some rough metal edges that can be painful if you accidentally jab a finger into one...

I went with the tall one and ended up with the legs sticking up far above the top board... took a hacksaw to it (yes, literally) and cut the legs down to a more manageable size.

Oh yeah I forgot about those edges on the arms- I bashed my finger real good on one of those! And I had the same long legs sticking up too. I never got around to cutting them, but I did manage to lose the little rubber pieces that were supposed to cover the ends to prevent injured bandmates.

Still, you're right: the adjustability and the 3-tier nature of it is pretty sweet.

I use a couple of X-stands, but I must say it's about time to get a sturdier one for my mark7.

Yeah man that's an expensive, heavy board to have on an x stand! That would hurt if it fell on your foot, too! :)

Archived