Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another dead x-stand video ...

fjzingo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone remember when X stands used to have a simple flat brace across both legs thus making it virtually impossible for an x stand to break...[where the quicklok system is on modern X stands this was a simple nut and bolt on early ones]

this was before the brace got the serrated teeth on the end to speed up changing height [have seen them bend]...originally it was simply a flat steel brace with a hole drilled at one end and numerous holes at other end to allow adjustability...once the nut and bolt was secured at each end it could take a lot but people got sick of undoing a single bolt to allow adjusting onstage..of coarse it still relied on the operator doing these bolts up properly but this was much more likely as if it wasnt done up it didnt work...

whereas the modern click lock is a lazy mans disaster..it can even look ok to a careful operator but may not be sitting squarely.

Sure it was a pain doing up the original design and the modern clicklock is quick...but the original design certainly felt safer

Sometimes improvements for ease of use are at the expense of safety...mind you I have never had a modern one go on me...but I can see that it could happen if I was not diligent. and i am happy enough with my quicklock and have often used el cheapos with my privia as it is light...I guess it comes down to being careful and judge what you think is fair weight

I have often thought about drilling two holes in my quicklock and other similar "modern" X stands , one hole on each leg and replicating these braces from old, it would give a solid system that cant break. [brace does need a slight bend in it to fit squarely. Numerous holes can be drilled to allow adjustability if you use more than one height but a simple brace if not.]

Archived