Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Pink Floyd to reissue albums

gryphon

I don't think I've seen this here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110512/en_nm/us_pinkfloyd

...digitally remastered versions of all 14 of its studio albums, both individually and as a boxed set on September 26.

Re-mastered and re-released. 2 and 5 disc versions of Wish You Were Here, and 6 and 2 disc versions of Dark Side of The Moon. A version of "Wish You Were Here," featuring French jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli. A fast-tempo live version of "Money," and an early mix of "The Great Gig in the Sky" without the soaring vocals of session singer Clare Torry. More.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope there's going to be surround mixes as well.

It's a damned shame that DSOTM is the only offering they have in this format at present.

Re-mastered versions... :rolleyes:..I can just turn my own volume up. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Why I oughta... :cop:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not even close if they don't merchandise every possible aspect. Stuffed "Animals," DSOTM prisms, The Wall with bricks you can knock out, etc. :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not even close if they don't merchandise every possible aspect. Stuffed "Animals," DSOTM prisms, The Wall with bricks you can knock out, etc. :poke:

You forgot to mention Flying pigs, a saucer-shaped toy filled with secrets from every member, a pipe, a bell and of course, toy cows. :cop:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

The word "re-mastered" makes me cringe

C'mon. Don't tell me you haven't heard some great remasters. The stuff they just did for the Stones (like Exile on Main Street) sounds about a trillion times better than the original, and that doesn't just mean "louder = better". The Who's Quadrophenia also benefitted greatly from the remaster.

That having been said, I was always told not to fix what wasn't broken. :idea:

Of course, some re-masters do improve the original, but they're definitely the "exception that proves the rule."

If they're going to be providing surround-sound mixes, I can get on board with that. The previous batch of re-mastered Floyd albums sounded like garbage though. The original pressings of their classic work sound gorgeous. I have them on vinyl. No need to tamper with them in my opinion except to squash them to holy hell to keep them "up to date" volume-wise.

Four words: Let It Be Naked

What an unlistenable piece of crap that was. Personally I thought the Phil Spector version was just fine as-is and nothing needed "fixing." They quantized it to death and successfully managed to suck every last ounce of charm out of that record.

Also, the band hated what Spector did, so I think that justifies the Naked version's existence. There's a fine line between enhancing a song and turning it into 1001 Strings Play the Beatles.

Actually, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to hear "The Long And Winding Road" without the slather of Spectorisms that strangle the intimacy out of the lyric.

Same here. Even though i like the original version better, the way i see it it's a different album that contains the same songs with a different perspective.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Actually, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to hear "The Long And Winding Road" without the slather of Spectorisms that strangle the intimacy out of the lyric.

Same here. Even though i like the original version better, the way i see it it's a different album that contains the same songs with a different perspective.

I agree with this.

I also like the stripped down across the universe.

One more....the version of "I've got a feeling" is grittier, which in this case is a good thing.

A) Outtakes and demos rarely surpass the released versions.

B) They are of more interest as an insight into the creative process.

C) Most remasters I've heard are as good as it's going to get on CD.

Floyd's thing sounds like excess.

we don't need your adulation....we don't need your starry gaze

Archived