Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PLG150 VL Dilemma

StanC

I have an opportunity to grab the plug in for my S90. But I may soon want to upgrade that to a 90ES or 90XS. Wondering if the card is compatible with either of those? Anyone know?

Thanks

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Oh!! Svengle will get me for this!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

I got the BC already. Couldn't do much on the S90 without the plug in. So if I score it, I'll give the BC another chance.

Stan

Grab it while you can - they're out of production AFAIK. I had to order mine from the US when I got it because no one in the UK had them anymore - Keyfax told me I'd got one of their last shipment (of 5).

Oh, and it rocks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! The PLG150 is installed! Still trying to figure it out. Saxes sound awesome but for my comfort zone I want to drop the pitch an octave. But the first Q&A from the 150 Manual reads: 1. Some voices sound as if they are in the original octave even when shifted down an octave.

So I wonder if the saxes I want to lower is one of those that I can't? Now here's the problem. The only way I know of lowering a voice an octave is to bring it into a performance, adjust note shift and save it as a performance in the user bank. However, when I try to create a new performance I cant select any of the voices from card slot PLG1, where the 150 is installed. From the S90 manual: Plug-In boards . . . you can play voices like the internal voices and use them as parts of performance. Anyone have an idea what may be wrong?

Thanks!

Stan

I'm at work now too, but check out www.motifator.com. Bad_Mister (aka Phil Clendeninn) is a Yamaha tech rep who has written some really useful Tech Tips on using the 150 VL - as well as a whole bunch of other Motif related stuff. Ooops! I meant sninety.com

here's the one you want http://files.keyfax.com/download/S90PLG.pdf

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Phil's extra sounds for the VL are truly outstanding (especially the solo strings!). He also writes some of the best tutorials on the planet.

As for breath controllers, Nick Batzdorf has announced that he has FINALLY gotten production issues settled for commercializing his controller concept that he first publicized a couple of years ago:

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20775

This breath controller will be WAY more advanced and ergonomic than the BC3a, so if you're frustrated by the BC3a you might want to consider this ocarina-style controller. I can hardly wait to order one myself! I sold my BC3a years ago, not realizing people would start putting out polyphonic libraries that accept BC (I use my Yamaha WX-5 wind controller for monophonic libraries).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, about the register thing, I've noticed vendors sometimes transpose instruments from their native range so that the primary playable range also corresponds to the central octaves of an 88-key board -- especially for monophonic/mono-timbral instruments, where this doesn't get in the way of setting up full sections via split points. But I haven't had a VL in a couple of years now (Tim bought mine), so don't remember whether the baritone sax etc. were placed into the "wrong" octave. I think you can resave it transposed though, in the user voices.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Any of the Motif articles on Perf Mode or PLG cards also apply to the S90. (Except for things on song and pattern mode there is none on the 90). This is original Motif to the S90, not es or other versions.

Archived