Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Nord Boesendorfer is here!

Tobias Åslund

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obviously a sampled Bosendorfer. But while it captures some of the character of the original, something is lacking. I don't know - So far, I have never heard a Nord piano sample which doesn't sound boxy and contrived to my ears. Maybe is their way of compressing the audio data, or... I just don't know. I had big hopes for the Bose, but it still has that "non-singing" sound.

Just a personal theory of mine, but the people who generally play digitaly sampled pianos, especially in an electric band setting don't really want an accurate sample of a Bosendorfer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To my ear- this is easily the best effort by Nord to date. I think this Bosendorfer is the closest to the real thing so far.

There maybe some imperfections but to be honest I can't tell as I'm no expert- it just sounds fantastic. I've recorded Gymnopodie 1 and "Someone to Watch Over Me" and sound great which proves that it suits both Classical and Jazz.

But we all obviously have differing opinions on what sounds to be a good piano. But I think Nord have given us a great Christmas present.

I dig it. It definitely isn't as nice as a Bosendorfer from Ivory or better yet Vienna Symphonic ::drools:: but it is great for Nord and hardware pianos and I don't think any of the current competition offers a Bosendorfer sample. While I agree with CEB that most users could care less about an accurate Bosendorfer sample, it is still a nice weapon to have in your arsenal, just another sound in the palate. I'd rather have that then a CP5 with ALL Yamaha sampled pianos.

Me personally I am GASSING for the Vienna Imperial. That Bosendorfer library is amazing. Totally worth the $800. But I LOVE the sound of a Bosendorfer and I don't foresee ever having one, so for me it's the closest I will ever get.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

I dig it..... a nice weapon to have in your arsenal.....

I'd rather have that then a CP5 with ALL Yamaha sampled pianos.

Since Bosendorfer is owned by Yamaha, do Yamaha not have ANY Bosie pianos in their DP's?

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Hi guys,

I have a Kawai mp8 that triggers a Nord electro 3.

With the possibility to actually create some usefull user velocity curves the result is pretty convincing.

I tried a Nord piano several times in the store, but it didn't impress me like my own set up.(although I've been missing some resonance/noise features).

The new Bosendorfer (I could only load the large version) is my personal favourite.

Warm, but cutting through slightly better than the grand lady.

I played along with my mp4 player and even with a low volume it was more pronounced than the other Nord piano's that I tried.

Before I sent my loaner NP back to American Music & Sound I wanted to check this new sample to see if it would inspire me to keep it and give them some money.

I have to say after loading it in on Wed., playing around on it and comparing to my CP-5, the verdict is still the same.

It was nice, bigger sounding then the Grand Lady D and more clarity then the Yamaha Studio Grand sample but in the end the whole playing connection/experience is not doing it for me for AP unfortunately. Like Carlo said, I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel or sound right to me--especially after continually going back to the CP-5 has a point of reference, the NP is not even close really imo--at least for Jazz. Which is a drag because I REALLY wanted and tried to like this. It has that outstanding mono feature and it's the perfect weight/size.

Like I said before a few times, if one of my main voices were the Rhodes, wurlitzer or Clav I wouldn't think twice about writing a check. But since none of those are a real high priority on my list, back it went today to AM&S.

Gymnopodie 1

Someone to Watch Over Me

These pieces were recorded using the new Bosendorfer sample. I think it sounds great but realise we all have different opinions on how a good piano should sound. These files are raw so maybe a bit loud through headphones.

Someone to Watch Over me is a shortened Keith Jarrett version.

Just got the small new Bosie installed on my Electro 3 - definitely a keeper - especially when I MIDI the PC3X to it and play it with a weighted board. Nice dynamic range.

Had to lose the Bosie Upright (and replace it with the smaller Schimmel sample) to get enough room - now have 0.2 meg of free space.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Today I had the opportunity to play the Bösendorfer in a trio/quartet setting. For jazz as well as funky rock, it just seems to kill. Sparkly while full and rich, stereo even through a pair of marginally decent PA speakers totally ruled.
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

The question, it seems, due to the sample size of this beast, is - when Clavia are going to finally come out with an improved Nord Stage with a bigger ram, sample library compatibility etc.

Fingers crossed for NAMM 2011.....and don't forget the C2 organ engine.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

And while we are dreaming, the Wave synth engine.
Also, while we're dreaming, they send me one for free.

Along with a blond, brunette, and redhead, all with liberal attitudes.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

And while we are dreaming, the Wave synth engine.
Also, while we're dreaming, they send me one for free.

Along with a blond, brunette, and redhead, all with liberal attitudes.

...each with a set of massive.....pocketbooks.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived