Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new web site

Ross Brown

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The frequency and style of the posts lead me to believe she really is a 26 year old man hating divorcee.

who played in a band briefly and therefore knows it all.

I think her sign off pretty much says it all - an army of me.

Not sure who she's warring against though. :)

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I thought/think that Brian is the guy selling the Alembic bass. I can't remember out of his many basses if that was one of them or not.

Possibly. The poster claims to reside in Rat City, WA. Brian lived in/around Seattle. He had an Alembic in his arsenal. Went old thread surfing and found that "Bumpcity" and "Tater Nuts" have been completely wiped out on the contacts page. Hoping that there was still a link to his website somewhere as I have forgotten his last name.

The band was "Mr. Myagi" and as far as I can tell, even the MySpace for the band has been elimnated.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I thought/think that Brian is the guy selling the Alembic bass. I can't remember out of his many basses if that was one of them or not.

Possibly. The poster claims to reside in Rat City, WA. Brian lived in/around Seattle. He had an Alembic in his arsenal. Went old thread surfing and found that "Bumpcity" and "Tater Nuts" have been completely wiped out on the contacts page. Hoping that there was still a link to his website somewhere as I have forgotten his last name.

The band was "Mr. Myagi" and as far as I can tell, even the MySpace for the band has been elimnated.

I thought Brian had an Alembic Rogue and an Alembic Omega bass. Where is ol' Tater? He was getting married and then fell off the face of the Earth.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

If you spell Miyagi right and are creative with the search. You'll find him.

Yeah, thank God Bing and Google know I'm stupid and can't spell "MIYAGI". The MySpace for Mr. Miyagi either profiles a band in Long Beach or shows a cancelled link.

Man, this threat sure got hijacked.

The frequency and style of the posts lead me to believe she really is a 26 year old man hating divorcee.

who played in a band briefly and therefore knows it all.

Getz was smarter....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I thought Brian had an Alembic Rogue and an Alembic Omega bass. Where is ol' Tater? He was getting married and then fell off the face of the Earth.

She suckered him in letting him get all those basses and the gear....got him married and locked'em up!

How do you sign a computer screen?

If you spell Miyagi right and are creative with the search. You'll find him.

Yeah, thank God Bing and Google know I'm stupid and can't spell "MIYAGI". The MySpace for Mr. Miyagi either profiles a band in Long Beach or shows a cancelled link.

Man, this threat sure got hijacked.

http://www.myspace.com/mistermiyagiseattle

http://www.mistermiyagi.com/

http://www.briantimpe.com/

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/users/12448

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'd say that the post of the Alembic for sale definitely came from Bumpcity. The link to a band in the initial post is to a band he plays in.

I'm also guessing that "Hippie Wood" may be Getz.

As to websites, I used to have a signature that said:

Everyone should have a website: here's mine:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com

Ross's website is fine. He gives someone a business card and they will be able to get an idea his playing. Yes, it should have examples of him singing. Singing bassplayers get more gigs than non-singing bassplayers.

We are all weekend warriors (except for the trolls).

Ross, your website is fine. My only comment is that less may be more.

Tater no longer plays with Mr. Miyagi. I'm not sure if the band still exists.

If you think that a poster isn't serious, it is better to simply ignore the post. As mods and administrators, we can go through various machinations to ban people, etc., but honestly, folks can switch IP addresses and do various other things if they want to come on and get your goat. Thus, the phrase, "Don't feed the trolls." Given that Bob, Sam, and I do this voluntarily, we can't monitor the joint constantly, and we can't spend tons of time tracking folks. We can encourage folks to approach posting in particular ways and via PM and other methods behind the scenes we are often in touch with folks privately to try to affect their behavior. This practice is reminiscent of and linked back to Mod Emeritus Madball Capasso. It does not guarantee success.

That said, despite the attitude, it's not as if some of hotlix's critique is without merit. I think it is often possible to engage the content of a post without letting the attitude get the best of you.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

TimR - There you have it! I didn't spell out "mister". And I had Brian's last name wrong.

Anyway, I was waxing laconic about the good ol' days. You remember. Brian was there ... Maury was there ... Matt was there ... and you, Tim! You were there, too!

Good times, good, good times.

I've hijacked this thread enough.

Wow. You guys are worse than a bunch of old women.

At the request of a member here I have been investigated . . . and cleared. Some people have nothing better to do. :whistle:

I'm not Maury or Brian or Tater Nuts, but I do think the name is funny. I am a bitter divorcee but I don't really hate men. They are a constant source of amusement.

Face it, I'm good for your blood pressure. :wave:

An army of me

I do not come here for your amusement Miss Lix. I come here for serious and highly intellectual debate about Bass guitars and associated equipment.

Happy Christmas folks :wave:

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Agreed there. Most bands and club owners can tell in three minutes if it's going to work or not. Our demos are typically four or five songs with about 45 seconds to a minute each of the "best" part of the song. I can get anyone to give me five minutes. Not everyone is willing to part with enough of their lifetime to fill an album.

You look at your website like a resume. The more stuff someone has to wade through, the sooner they are going to lose interest and give up.

Wow. You guys are worse than a bunch of old women.

At the request of a member here I have been investigated . . . and cleared. Some people have nothing better to do. :whistle:

I'm not Maury or Brian or Tater Nuts, but I do think the name is funny. I am a bitter divorcee but I don't really hate men. They are a constant source of amusement.

Face it, I'm good for your blood pressure. :wave:

You've referred to us as a bunch of old women more than once. But if I have to be honest, sometimes you're right. I don't have a problem with the attitude, honestly.

I'm glad men amuse you, women certainly amuse me. So What?

As far as you being good for my blood pressure.... huh? A colleague (day job) after seeing a pic of my GF asked how I don't have a heart attack (I'm a dirty old man, I guess). But I don't see how you think you would affect anybody's BP positively. Your comments fire some folks up for sure (not me). And if you looked like your avatar, that might fire some guys up. But I guess I'm at a loss as far as being good for BP. Maybe I missed the joke, I'm slow.

And SW - you and all the moderators do and EXCELLENT job! You're certainly right about the trolls. One guy got banninated from the KB corner (not by my request), and found me on YouTube and proceded to bash me there. I left his negative comments up and ignored him, and he went away. Some people have an axe to grind. You just have to grow a thick skin and run with it, and sometimes you might actually learn something from it.

Oh, and Scott (Jeff, whatever), overall I think the site is great. Originally there were some wording issues and maybe capitalization issues to be picky - I haven't looked at it for a while they may have been fixed. I'll wait til the dust settles and check it out again. If anything remains, I'll PM you. Overall though, good. I agree that nobody will probably listen to ALL those audio clips. Maybe half dozen top of your best stuff. FAQ was a nice touch I agree - liked it. Pics I agreed could be better. And yes, in general, always keep the wording positive - like a resume - I do this well, I excel at that, etc. Don't word anything in a wishy washy sort of way. But generally I think it does exactly what you want it to do.

My suggestion is pretend you are a potential client (band, whatever). Look around for some "competitors" web sites and peruse them. Then look at yours from the mind set of somebody you would want to hire you. Think about what information they would want to know about you. Give yourself 1 minute of initial browsing. If in that first minute there is enough to draw them in, give it a few more minutes to generate significant interest to really drill the site. If they get to that point, and they really want to know all they can about you, they should be able to get it all in 30 min or less. My opinion, FWIW.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Another good point was brought up but only briefly discussed. Vain or not? In my PM I mentioned BandMix as an online alternative. Would that also be considered vain?

Obviously the interwebz is still relatively new. An up and coming bassist in the '70s, say, would not have this option.

The tried and true method may still be best: get out and play with everyone and let your abilities be your promotions. If you manage to get on the right guys' radars (and you don't suck) then you may become a first-call.

Another avenue that has ligitimitely worked for some is YouTube. Has anyone gotten a call from posting bass karaoke? It may be best to stick with band vids (especially tribute bands).

No luck with BandMix. I'm not spending $10/month for the privelege of being able to message a bunch of posers, wannabes and flakes.

Actually, I've had more success with CL than BandMix, Musician's Forest, BoobTube, et. al.

Ain't that scary?

Archived