Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new web site

Ross Brown

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please note that I have used the phrase "real musicans" in quotes. Let's not confuse this with professional musicians (which I did NOT put in quotes).

My best friend is a professional musician. He plays trombone and sings bari and bass in various venues in Philly. I admire the fact that he's doing what he loves to do for a living. I copped out and ended up doing something that I was good at.

He drives a cab part time to make bills.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Over compensating?

I play bass. I want to play bass in a good band and I am trying to do that.

Are you saying my bass playing sucks and I am "over compensating" by using this route to promote myself?

ie. Does a plumber that advertises or uses a web site over compensate for lack of plumbing ability?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

As I said, I, too, have a website.

The OVERcompensating was a jab at Hotlix, nothing more. Can't let her have all the fun, can we?

I admire and fully support your efforts to promote yourself to the fullest extent that your economy and technology allow, fellow "weekend warrior" (I used quotes).

I'm also saying MY bass playing sucks, but I have a GREAT head of hair. THAT'S compensating.

Incidentally, Ross, I did go to the website. It's clean. It's concise. It's to the point. It has everything it needs without a lot of crap. It's not covered with distractions. It has made me consider "tidying up" my website as I think mine is busy and over the top.

Thanks everyone. Good, useful comments. I have incorporated some changes and will probably do some more. I am looking for some pictures that are better (ie look like I am having a good time...). I like the site so far. Not sure how it will evolve but I know it will be useful.

This is a good Forum.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I don't mean for any hurt feelings, but if my fly was down I would want somebody to tell me instead of letting me walk around proudly. False praise is no virtue. To me the whole thing screams lack of confidence and alot of time to mess with computer stuff. Maybe I'm too old school, but what is the measure to differentiate personal satisfaction against real results when you put yourself out there like that? I don't like it for a whole lot of reasons.

No problem. Took about 30 minutes. The goal is to simply have something (web site) to point to when someones asks. Good for responding to want ads. Good for on business cards so after I have a conversation with someone ie at open mics/jams, they can go back and look me up and learn a little more, and have easy contact info. I am trying to find a good band that acts like professionals. This seems like a professional web site/thing to do. It should scare away the garage bands and folks that "jus' wanna jam". I don't really understand your point, especially second to last sentence.

I do appreciate your thoughts so if you could clarify why is seems wrong to "put myself out there". I want to be out there.

It simply seems self-indulgent to me. Thats it. I wouldn't put myself out there "like that"- meaning that to someone like me, it appears contrived and I would question if one would get the results they intended. You can do whatever you want, originally you asked for critique and suggestions. If you had expected only positive comments, I must have misunderstood and shouldn't have posted.

I don't mean for any hurt feelings, but if my fly was down I would want somebody to tell me instead of letting me walk around proudly. False praise is no virtue. To me the whole thing screams lack of confidence and alot of time to mess with computer stuff. Maybe I'm too old school, but what is the measure to differentiate personal satisfaction against real results when you put yourself out there like that? I don't like it for a whole lot of reasons.

No problem. Took about 30 minutes. The goal is to simply have something (web site) to point to when someones asks. Good for responding to want ads. Good for on business cards so after I have a conversation with someone ie at open mics/jams, they can go back and look me up and learn a little more, and have easy contact info. I am trying to find a good band that acts like professionals. This seems like a professional web site/thing to do. It should scare away the garage bands and folks that "jus' wanna jam". I don't really understand your point, especially second to last sentence.

I do appreciate your thoughts so if you could clarify why is seems wrong to "put myself out there". I want to be out there.

If you had expected only positive comments, I must have misunderstood and shouldn't have posted.

No, all comments were welcomed. I got a lot of good constructive feedback. That is what I was looking for. I made some changes and like the site for now. May make some more. If it is self indulgent, cool. I still think it will be useful toward accomplishing my goal.

Right now, for me, I will head out to open mics and jams and network with musicians. I will have business cards with name and phone number and web site. I also have a small network of folks I can send the link to that are in the "business". They can pass it on, etc. I may use it when responding to CL ads but I am responding to fewer of those. They are junk opportunities a lot.... Still working on other ideas.

It simply seems self-indulgent to me. Thats it. I wouldn't put myself out there "like that"- meaning that to someone like me, it appears contrived and I would question if one would get the results they intended. You can do whatever you want, originally you asked for critique and suggestions. If you had expected only positive comments, I must have misunderstood and shouldn't have posted.

Now now ... If you are posting an opinion, whether in agreement or disagreement with the OP, you are bound to get comments on it from people with opposing views. Should we deduct from your above comment that it is okay for you to offer criticism on someone's post, but not for someone else to criticize said post in return?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Nice one Ross. I love the stage name where did you get it ;)

The sound clips are really good.

Maybe change the title of FAQ to "About Me", "Meet Ross", "Interview" or something more friendly and less computer tech speak.

There's no problem with having the email on as it's not your personal email and you have to 'expose' yourself to some risk or the site won't work the way you want. As long as you keep it separate ie don't set up forwarding if possible and have it web based mail you're fine.

I think as far as your number, again it's fine. You could create a jpg of it so people can read it but bots can't crawl it and add it to databases. Again nothing wrong with getting a 'business' only mobile either but thats for later.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Now now ... If you are posting an opinion, whether in agreement or disagreement with the OP, you are bound to get comments on it from people with opposing views. Should we deduct from your above comment that it is okay for you to offer criticism on someone's post, but not for someone else to criticize said post in return?

Gosh, who doesn't love a cavalier. A lot of people . . .

You can deduct all you want. :whistle: I think Imo was spot on but, after all we are all entitled to our opinion. that's just mine.

Maybe his post would have gotten a thumbs up if he twisted it around and made it a whiny diatribe about his band?

An army of me

You can deduct all you want. :whistle: I think Imo was spot on but, after all we are all entitled to our opinion. that's just mine.

Maybe his post would have gotten a thumbs up if he twisted it around and made it a whiny diatribe about his band?

Nice.... making friends again....?

Most folks liked it or said they liked it. No matter the topic there is always someone that has a different opinion. That is good. I don't think the site is self indulgent. This feeling is based on how I plan to use it. No more self indulgent than a resume', facebook page, myspace, LinkedIn profile, etc. That is why I didn't understand and asked for clarification.

HL - you seem to come off as a pain in the ass. My "opinion" of that is that it is a compensation for lack of true wit and perhaps unrefined intelligence. I also can be a pain in the ass but usually when I am tired or hungry. Please go eat something....

My apologies Ross. I didn't mean to seem to come off as an unrefined pain in the ass.

Guess I need to try harder. :laugh:

I did state my opinion, as so many others did. It's what you asked for. I just don't see a reason for opinions about opinions. But, again, just my opinion.

An army of me

My apologies Ross. I didn't mean to seem to come off as an unrefined pain in the ass.

Guess I need to try harder. :laugh:

You'll do fine.... no worries. ;)

Thanks for your opinion(s). Seriously.

Yeah ... whatever.

Yet you belittle me for stating mine?

I think this is about as close as you have ever come to being witty on this here forum. For the record, it actually made me laugh out loud :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Chil guys she just comes here to play with you.

At one point I thought she might even really be Melissa Auf der Maur.

No such luck - she's too young.

The frequency and style of the posts lead me to believe she really is a 26 year old man hating divorcee.

Archived