Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new web site

Ross Brown

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a web site like this is kinda like a resume--it might get you an interview, but it's the personal interaction that will get you the job. That said, I think this is a nice web site--clean, professional, not overly show-offy, you get the sense Jeff is a solid guy and a talented player.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

a web site like this is kinda like a resume--it might get you an interview, but it's the personal interaction that will get you the job. That said, I think this is a nice web site--clean, professional, not overly show-offy, you get the sense Jeff is a solid guy and a talented player.

That's what I want... the interview...

Thanks for taking a look.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Overall I like it. One suggestion I'd make; On the FAQ page, in the "what do you bring..." question, the answer has words like "hopefully", "decent", "do some of the promotional stuff", and "goofy stuff". You may want to consider a little more confident wording.

For example, starting with "Hopefully I bring..." gives an impression (to me anyway) that the odds are against whatever is after 'hopefully' actually happening, if that makes sense. I'd suggest something like "I make every effort to bring..." or "I've been known to bring...". Starting out like that gives a little more assurance to the statement.

As far as the singing question, maybe give some more specific examples of songs you can sing, how you do at lead versus harmony (like singing echo parts, background, etc.) and anything unique you can do (sing like the BeeGees or Barry White). This might give someone a better idea of what you could bring in vocally.

As far as other artists' influence, maybe expand a little bit and include 2-3 guitarists and bassists that might be easy to recognize.

I like the last part about bringing the show. One thing that might help tie it in, some good pics of you smiling and having fun. The pics up there are good, but a couple of pics that you can stick in there that support where you try to make a show an event backs up your statement a little stronger.

I tried to listen to the recordings. I made it through Fortunate Son but the work network started barking at me after that one...

All in all, I like the site. It's easy to navigate, it's straight forward, and organized. Looks like you did a good job :thu:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Overall I like it. One suggestion I'd make; On the FAQ page, in the "what do you bring..." question, the answer has words like "hopefully", "decent", "do some of the promotional stuff", and "goofy stuff". You may want to consider a little more confident wording.

For example, starting with "Hopefully I bring..." gives an impression (to me anyway) that the odds are against whatever is after 'hopefully' actually happening, if that makes sense. I'd suggest something like "I make every effort to bring..." or "I've been known to bring...". Starting out like that gives a little more assurance to the statement.

As far as the singing question, maybe give some more specific examples of songs you can sing, how you do at lead versus harmony (like singing echo parts, background, etc.) and anything unique you can do (sing like the BeeGees or Barry White). This might give someone a better idea of what you could bring in vocally.

As far as other artists' influence, maybe expand a little bit and include 2-3 guitarists and bassists that might be easy to recognize.

I like the last part about bringing the show. One thing that might help tie it in, some good pics of you smiling and having fun. The pics up there are good, but a couple of pics that you can stick in there that support where you try to make a show an event backs up your statement a little stronger.

I tried to listen to the recordings. I made it through Fortunate Son but the work network started barking at me after that one...

All in all, I like the site. It's easy to navigate, it's straight forward, and organized. Looks like you did a good job :thu:

+1

the website looks good. 5 string mike, this is excellent constructive feedback

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Most excellent site! Since 5StringMike did most of the grunt work, I can only offer this: while reading the FAQ (I love that you have a FAQ section), one question immediately came to mind:

I love to sing. //snip My voice has a bit of a growl sound to it. I have performed Hoochie Coochie Man, Sky is Crying, Midnight Train, Texas Flood and more.

All good and well, but there are no recordings of you singing. Anywhere on the site. Why is that so?

Oh and I was always told that giving away your (cell) phone number and personal email address are two big no-no's on the innernet ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Most excellent site! Since 5StringMike did most of the grunt work, I can only offer this: while reading the FAQ (I love that you have a FAQ section), one question immediately came to mind:

I love to sing. //snip My voice has a bit of a growl sound to it. I have performed Hoochie Coochie Man, Sky is Crying, Midnight Train, Texas Flood and more.

All good and well, but there are no recordings of you singing. Anywhere on the site. Why is that so?

Oh and I was always told that giving away your (cell) phone number and personal email address are two big no-no's on the innernet ...

I will put some clips of my singing on when I can find some decent ones.

How does everyone else feel about cell phone number and e mail address on a site like this. I am trying to get business, but there are a lot of flakes out there.... thoughts?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I don't put my email or phone number on any site.

You could have a specific email button that linked to an address you used only for this site but better to just have the contact form. Or at least a button that opens and email link but doesn't have the address in text on the site.

On my site people still find a way to contact me through comments or twitter or the like.

I don't mean for any hurt feelings, but if my fly was down I would want somebody to tell me instead of letting me walk around proudly. False praise is no virtue. To me the whole thing screams lack of confidence and alot of time to mess with computer stuff. Maybe I'm too old school, but what is the measure to differentiate personal satisfaction against real results when you put yourself out there like that? I don't like it for a whole lot of reasons.

I don't mean for any hurt feelings, but if my fly was down I would want somebody to tell me instead of letting me walk around proudly. False praise is no virtue. To me the whole thing screams lack of confidence and alot of time to mess with computer stuff. Maybe I'm too old school, but what is the measure to differentiate personal satisfaction against real results when you put yourself out there like that? I don't like it for a whole lot of reasons.

No problem. Took about 30 minutes. The goal is to simply have something (web site) to point to when someones asks. Good for responding to want ads. Good for on business cards so after I have a conversation with someone ie at open mics/jams, they can go back and look me up and learn a little more, and have easy contact info. I am trying to find a good band that acts like professionals. This seems like a professional web site/thing to do. It should scare away the garage bands and folks that "jus' wanna jam". I don't really understand your point, especially second to last sentence.

I do appreciate your thoughts so if you could clarify why is seems wrong to "put myself out there". I want to be out there.

I checked it out earlier. It is/was not bad. It is sort of your press kit. It does that effectively.

I don't understand what Imogene is asking either unless he asking if you will actually gain "real results", that of which you are looking for, or did you put up a site to make yourself feel special...boost your ego kind of thing.

I can see his point; guys like Alberto and Jeremy are professional musicians and make a living doing it. They promote themselves through their website. Why does a weekend warrior need a website to promote himself? Not agreeing or disagreeing with him, just explaining what I think he is asking.

As far as scaring away the garage bands, I think that could backfire. The garage band could rely on you to be the pro and get them gigs and out of the basement. Of course, you would be able to judge that at the audition.

I feel I should mention that I jammed with some dudes that were uber talented and sounded phenomenal but did not want to play out. They played for the love of playing. I can respect that. I think their music should be heard, but that isn't up to me. It is wrong to assume that just because a band doesn't want to gig that the quality is terrible. Why do I like to gig, because it makes me happy and I like watching people have a great time knowing that I am hopefully partly responsible for it.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Good points.

I think of it as I am dressing for the job I want.

Will I keep the site forever? Probably not. Who knows.

I don't teach. I have made $3500-$5000 a year playing. Not a living, but worth doing since I love it so much anyway. I am marketing.

If it were me, I wouldn't post songs from my old bands on my site. If I were doing this I would like to keep it less wordy, with only basic info, and as positive as possible.

You're a good enough player that you will sell yourself at the audition, jam, etc. Just my $.02 though.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I don't really understand your point, especially second to last sentence.

I believe the point is don't be tentative - it makes you look like a girl. ;) Claim it. Own it. Kick it's ass or don't bother.

"I can play anything, anywhere, anytime . . . If I want to."

An army of me

I can see his point; guys like Alberto and Jeremy are professional musicians and make a living doing it. They promote themselves through their website. Why does a weekend warrior need a website to promote himself? Not agreeing or disagreeing with him, just explaining what I think he is asking.

I will use this as a basis for my comment. I see absolutely no correlation between being a professional or not and the right to have a website or not. Which is basically how I perceive Imogene's comment. Ross is looking for a band and wants to put himself out there. Why the hell not? What is the difference between preparing a standard mail / press kit and building a website? The only difference is this: it shows that he can bring "building websites" to the table in addition to his bass skills.

I think bassists as a whole sometimes succumb to the whole false modesty thing. Should we weekend warriors then also not create Facebook, Twitter and MySpace profiles? After all, these are web sites :o The shock! The horror! Auditioning for bands is no different than applying for jobs. They are one and the same. Could a website backfire? Sure, same as an open Facebook profile can backfire - people may not like how he looks and decide not to contact him. People may not like how he writes. But it weeds out these people and it saves everyone time.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I think you guys shhould be more specific in your criticism to the actual wording that is an issue. I think 5 string Mike did a great job of that.

There are two main kinds of sites: musician websites and blogs. Recently a lot of musicians have been able to blur the distinction by building in a lot of interactivity and comment space to their sites).

For a site like this, I'd agree that less wordy is better. I like the interview/FAQ section. If anything could be improved for me it would be the photos.

This is an awful lot better than a myspace page guys (and a lot easier to maintain), at least Ross is taking control of how he wants his music to appear. And what's the difference between amateur and professional music at the end of the day. Some of the best gigs I've seen this year have been by guys with day jobs and all the pro guys I know either have to teach or take gigs they hate or both.

Slightly off the topic (it just got taken over by AOL so I'm not sure about its future) but this site takes about 10 minutes to set up and links together your various online presences/links.

http://about.me/philwbass

I'm curious, do you have a marketing strategy that the website fits into? How do you use it?

Working on it. Not completely developed yet, so the answer is no... This was the first element from which I will build.

Why does a weekend warrior need a website to promote himself?

Because we can?

Because I, the most weekend of weekend warriors, don't want to spend my weekends sitting at home, wringing my hands and wishing I were in a band?

Because every social networking site for musicians have 400 profiles for the same tired-a$$ed posers, wannabes and garage zombies as all the other sites and I have to scream to be heard and it makes me look like an egomaniacal freak?

Because if I run into that guy at the open mic, or the music store, or (heaven forbid) at one of my gigs that's looking for a permanent bass player, or even a fill in, I can hand him a card with the website on it and he can check me out from there?

Because technology is a wonderful thing?

Because "real musicians" haven't made it illegal to be a weekend warrior yet?

Any of the above?

ALL of the above?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Because we can?

Because I, the most weekend of weekend warriors, don't want to spend my weekends sitting at home, wringing my hands and wishing I were in a band?

Because every social networking site for musicians have 400 profiles for the same tired-a$$ed posers, wannabes and garage zombies as all the other sites and I have to scream to be heard and it makes me look like an egomaniacal freak?

Because if I run into that guy at the open mic, or the music store, or (heaven forbid) at one of my gigs that's looking for a permanent bass player, or even a fill in, I can hand him a card with the website on it and he can check me out from there?

Any of the above?

ALL of the above?

Best argument for having your own site I've seen yet!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Because we can?

Any of the above?

ALL of the above?

Again, I was pointing out what I thought Imogene was asking. I like the idea of having a website and for the reason that Ross wants one for.

As Phil mentioned, I should be more specific and not cloudy on what I meant.

On that note, to respond to Dave about being professional or not, what I was not so clearly eluding to is think about what you are trying to present, and present that clearly.

Jeremy and Alberto are promoting either teaching, products, themselves etc. I think that what Ross is trying to do is different in the sense that it is being used as a tool to show people what he can bring to the table and not have to go through the audition process if said band thinks he isn't a fit after looking at his site. Make sense?

I thought what Mr. 5 string said was dead on.

SNF, I meant no disrespect when I said "weekend warrior". I don't buy into that Real vs. non Real musician. I meant that I thought that the site needed to have more focus. It reminded me of a cover letter of a resume that had lots of good information on it, if they read that much. I was looking for a "cleaner" description without the fluff.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Because we can?

Any of the above?

ALL of the above?

You forgot one. Compensating. :laugh:

An army of me

FT - No specific offense. There have been threads in the past were the fact that "weekend warriors" are/were taking gigs away from full time musicians, driving down the pay scale, reducing the expectations and quality of live music, subverting the local chapter of the AFM, causing Toyotas to suddenly accelerate, global pandemics, climate change and the mid-term elections (none of which I cop to on my website). When someone used the phrase "weekend warrior" (with or without quotes), I wish they'd just go ahead and use the word "scab" and get it out in the open. I just don't understand why that distinction needs to be made in some instaces - like this one.

HL86 - OVERcompensating.

ALL - And I don't need help looking like an egomaniacal freak.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived