Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Support your forum! (Perhaps OT)

Joe Muscara

You may have noticed (if you're not running an ad blocker) that a certain large chain musical instrument store is running ads here. If you're like me, you don't like that chain. Clicking on that ad costs them money, and helps support this place, which we obviously do like.

So I say, click away and kill two birds with one... click. :evil:

Also, if you do click, you'll notice that their web site title is "Guitars, Musical Instruments, and Musical Equipment." Think about that for a sec. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are these ads you speak of? :D

You know. Those things that those of us that don't use ad blockers completely ignore.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Clicking on that ad costs them money...

Um... no. :D

Advertising on MusicPlayer forums is done via the number of impressions the ads receive, meaning that when you are served the page with the ad(s) on it, that counts as an impression. Clickthrough is good for this forum, since it shows that the impressions are effective, and the advertiser is likely to continue supporting the forum by buying more impressions. But they are not charged per clickthrough.

Nice try, though. ;)

Advertising on MusicPlayer forums is done via the number of impressions the ads receive, meaning that when you are served the page with the ad(s) on it, that counts as an impression. Clickthrough is good for this forum, since it shows that the impressions are effective, and the advertiser is likely to continue supporting the forum by buying more impressions. But they are not charged per clickthrough.
Oh, okay. It did cross my mind that it might not work as described. But at least clicks show they should still keep paying to run the ads. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

[OT -ish] An e-commerce newbie question ...

There's got to be a back-end metric other than click-throughs right? Surely different audiences vary in their click conversion rates and someone is tracking that? At what level of aggregation do people measure that?

For what it's worth I clicked. Thanks. :thu:

Curiously, Avast is complaining that 2 ads here at the moment link to a trojan horse. I don't know if it's a false positive and I don't know what the ads are as Avast blocked them.

I got that here too... the second time I visited this site today. But didn't happen this time. Hmmmm.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I didn't say the best way, I said a way. :D

Signed,

Long Time Subscriber.

[OT -ish] An e-commerce newbie question ...

There's got to be a back-end metric other than click-throughs right? Surely different audiences vary in their click conversion rates and someone is tracking that? At what level of aggregation do people measure that?

For what it's worth I clicked. Thanks. :thu:

Complicated question.

There are value added advertising companies/agencies that lease the space from web sites (like Keyboard) just like they are billboards. They then resell the space along with some value added advertising tools and will also create the banner ads if necessary for a client.

For example you may want an ad campaign to sell xxx product to males 16 to 44 who like music and gadgets. The value added advertiser/agency has blocks of pre-purchased ad space (paid based on impressions), and puts together say 20 sites for the seller/product client based on a proprietary demographic model.

The product client manages the ads from a custom dashboard of value added software that includes every metric possible concerning click throughs and purchases and conversions. Various banner ads can be swapped out via the dashboard to ensure effectiveness and different banners ads can be put on different sites, etc. The effectiveness of each banner ad can be measured in near real time and campaigns can be tweaked over and over. The worst performing sites and ads can be swapped out with alternates. etc.

The site where the ads actually appears have little to do with any of that. They simply sell space based on impressions (much like a billboard) to the value added advertiser and have nothing to do with ad content or ad metrics.

Think of it as outsourcing the ad department and simply selling 'space'.

That's not to imply that's the model Keyboard uses but it's common among many larger sites. Another variation is based on who you are and the value added advertiser will display ads likely to appeal to you. In other words the ad rotations are not static but a tailored to your demographics. This model is popular with larger General Merchandisers like Sears. Then there's 'based on your last query' model from search engines.

Companies like Advertising.com and Doubleclick are the value added aggregators.

Here's an example of one such dashboard. There's always premium services available. In some cases ad agencies simply use the platform and charge a package price.

http://advertising.com/advertiser/ad-desk

That scratches the surface...

Archived