Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mick Jaggers responds to Keith Richard's bio

Eric Jx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although it's pronounced the same, 'asshole', is spelt 'arsehole'.

It is? Then why is there an 'r' in it?

Because 'ass' is another name for a donkey - 'arse' refers to your bum/buttocks/backside :deadhorse:!!!

It's 'English' English - not 'Americanised' English.....

Have you ever heard of someone calling someone else a "donkey-hole" ???

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

John, that's what lets "ass" but not "ass____" get by censors in America. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

John, that's what lets "ass" but not "ass____" get by censors in America. :D

Conceded - I don't want to fall out with you American guys :D -

just wanted to clarify something!

John.

some stuff on myspace

IIR, Richards said that Mick had read the book and, by and large, was OK with what he'd written.

Well, that's a relief and good to hear.... even if not as interesting as the article (before I knew it was a hoax). How does the song go? "We love dirty laundry." :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I just got into work, and I found the article I had printed off to read at lunch. And as Joe had said (and I had agreed but then pulled my comment as I couldn't verify it until this morning), the piece definitely was being passed off as legitimate; nowhere was the Imagine if Mick Jagger had preamble. In big bold letters it says MICK JAGER RESPONDS TO KEITH RICHARDS ABOUT HIS NEW AUTOBIOGRAPHY followed by Editors Note: Journalist Bill Wyman received a UPS package containing a typed manuscript If I could figure out how to post a copy of that 1st page here I would (at work I can only scan to a PDF file).

Not that it matters at this point, but I had a hard time believing I (and others) were so easily misled, or had missed such a glaring alert that this was a piece of fiction.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I believe it was Bernard Shaw who stated that Britain and America were countries "separated by a common" language. I much more prefer the notion that during the revolution America declared war on the English King and on the King's English as well. I'll get off my "arse" now and go back to work.

I was always under the impression that Shaw preferred his middle name to his first and routinely signed autographs as G. Bernard Shaw. This is not all that uncommon. A. Conan Doyle did this as well. I've signed my own name in this fashion for the better part of 60 years. So there. :)

Although it's pronounced the same, 'asshole', is spelt 'arsehole'.

I wondered about your assertion. First of all it doesn't make any sense to me, but I am here in the colonies. So I asked a friend of mine who lives in London (born and raised).

"Arse is more common these days. Arsehole is the pronunciation used. Arsenal football team naturally cheers "Up the Arse." Ass I suppose refers to being assinine? He's an ass (as in stupid stubborn donkey?) sounds a bit posh or antiquated. Never heard 'asshole', and saying it sounds rather strange."

Even in our English television programming (usually on PBS) they pronounce it "arse," so I'm wondering why you say the 'r' isn't pronounced? Although it seems everyone, even those educated at Eton, Cambridge, Oxford, etc. say "wif" instead of "with," etc. Hey, there's no 'f' in "with." But who am I to tell you how to speak your own language?

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Even in our English television programming (usually on PBS) they pronounce it "arse," so I'm wondering why you say the 'r' isn't pronounced?

Ah, he's a bleedin' Manc, they're a breed unto themselves! (joke!).

Most of the UK pronounce it Arse. At least they do in the south. Historically, the word was ass in England too, but it changed over the centuries. I think it was due to Southerners having (what we now think of as) a West Country drawl, so in the regional dialect it sounded like arse...and then the spelling stuck due to the South being the power base.

[video:youtube]

Okay, so how do you go backwards, saying the word 'arse' is pronounced 'ass'? What happened to the 'r'?

I suppose it comes down to regional dialects - in the Fast Show sketch above, the (very funny)

Paul Whitehouse is using a west-country (Devon/Somerset area) accent where the 'r' is more pronounced

than in other dialects across the UK.

On reflection I would have to concede that 'arse' IS pronounce 'arse'!!! -

but with vaying degrees of the accent on the 'r'.

My original point, though, is that an Englishman (as Jagger obviously is) wouldn't spell it 'ass'.

John.

some stuff on myspace

... I much more prefer the notion that during the revolution America declared war on the English King and on the King's English as well. I'll get off my "arse" now and go back to work.
It's not just a notion, it's a well-documented assertion by linguists who study the differences between American and British English (cf., "I Hear America Talking" by Stuart Berg Flexner.) While before the revolution Americans tended to idolize and imitate the British (esp. aristocracy), during and after the war they went the opposite way rather extremely. People "sounding British" were reviled, resulting in an unusually rapid shift in pronunciation and usage.

The hillfolk in the American Southeast, most of whose ancestors had immigrated much earlier, spoke a dialect more similar to English of the early 1700's, and were isolated from the linguistic changes elsewhere. For example, "ain't" was a perfectly respectable contraction for "am not", and lived on (though generalized to include "is not") in Southern America. The language they now speak (at least until recently) remained truer to earlier English and shares a lot of common traits with populations in Australia that were settled early and similarly isolated.

What were we talking about?

Archived