Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NHL 2010-2011 Thread

Bridog6996

The best ratings for a Game 1 in 12 years.

Amazing as one team was Canadian and the ratings are over double comparable finals with a Canadian team.

Vancouver must have a lot of US fans :).

The bad part: New England led the ratings with Hartford 4th in the nation.

That set the Hartford Hockey loyalists into Whalers fever. It's a temporary sickness that grips middle-aged guys who belong in asylums. It's much like rutting and you don't want to be near these fans when it takes hold and their eyes glaze over.

The return of the Winnipeg Jets after 15 years in the wilderness just furthers the mania of these wild-eyed beasts. It's prophecy.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That set the Hartford Hockey loyalists into Whalers fever. It's a temporary sickness that grips middle-aged guys who belong in asylums. It's much like rutting and you don't want to be near these fans when it takes hold and their eyes glaze over.

The return of the Winnipeg Jets after 15 years in the wilderness just furthers the mania of these wild-eyed beasts. It's prophecy.

???????????

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

The best ratings for a Game 1 in 12 years.

Amazing as one team was Canadian and the ratings are over double comparable finals with a Canadian team.

Vancouver must have a lot of US fans :).

The bad part: New England led the ratings with Hartford 4th in the nation.

they can continue to dream. Quebec, Ontario (either Hamilton or Toronto), Seattle, Kansas City are all on the list to be done first, if/when Coloumbus, Phoenix, Islanders, etc pack their bags....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Between that and the Burrows "biting incident," I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after game 1.

I imagine Burrows might be able to say the same thing... :rolleyes:

Burrows is a real piece of work, and the fact that a suspension wasn't given out by the league is pretty much the icing on the cake for me... I'm out. The NHL has become an out-of-control, grossly mismanaged, shitty excuse for a professional sport league. The sooner Bettman is gone, the better for the league, the players, and the fans.

(It was interesting to read what Dan Marouelli has to say about the incident.)

Winnnipeg Jets announced what is for all purposes a 5-season sell out.

13,000 season tickets sold with a minimum 3-year package. The 5 year package was the most popular. 8,100 on the waiting list are paying a waiting fee. 2,000 are held back for single ticket purchases to each game.

Over time. Not another win by the Hansen brother.....one Hansen's enough

Ironic that the biter scores the GWG.

I don't think the B's are out of this series, though. Attrition is going to be a big part of the next few games, and Vancouver is on the wrong end of attrition right now.

I will say, though, that the B's looked absolutely terrible handling the puck from the 3rd period on. Sloppy, sloppy stick work all around. I was astonished at how many times they just failed to make easy passes.

So far, this is playing out very much like round 1 against the Canadiens. The Bs looked extremely lackluster and sloppy, losing the first two games, then turned it around and eventually won the series. I don't doubt that they will their game back, but hopefully it's not too little too late. They're definitely not out of it at least, but they're certainly not in an ideal situation right now against a team that's clearly playing like they want it more.

More than the fact that the Bruins have lost 2 games, I think the way the Canucks have won these games is the most...embarrassing, really. They just kind of gave it away both times. At least make the other team work for it, for cryin' out loud. It's tough to fault Tim Thomas with the way he's played, and I think his aggressive style is what makes him so good, but last night just left me with this feeling: :facepalm:

WTF was he thinking about there?

And yeah, of course it would be Bitey McBite who scored it.

Tough pill to swallow for Boston fans, but hey, Vancouver is just too good imo.

As great as Tim Thomas is and has been, his sloppy technique and aggressive style makes him vulnerable in certain situations.

Whether you like it or not Thomas looked very bad on both of Burrows's goals.

Luongo on the other hand has been solid as a rock without being spectacular.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

That's why, although Thomas is very good when he is on his game, I don't trust him. The best goalie is the one you barely notice. If you're always in position, challenging the shooter and cutting off angles, there shouldn't be much trouble. Of course, if the guys in front of the goalie are blocking shots, steering traffic outside and giving the goalie a clear view, that always helps.

Hopefully, they'll adjust. The Canadiens were a much faster team than the Bruins as well, and they were able to wear the Habs down by playing smart and battling in the corners, something they haven't been able to do to the Canucks. It took the Bruins 2 games to make that adjustment against the Habs in round 1, so maybe the same will be true again.

Tim Thomas has completely earned my trust. The way he has played this year, I'll easily forgive the occasional blunder because they're so few and far between. He set the record for highest season save percentage and will in all likelihood run away with the Vezina, so who am I, or anyone else, to critique the way he plays?

As much as I love my Canadiens, you really can't compare them to the Canucks.

Vancouver is a much more talented team with speed not only up front but on the blue line as well. Their defense is extremely good regaining possession of the puck and clearing the zone for the counter-attack. They've also got a lot of depth everywhere.

After 2 games I'd say the biggest place where Boston is being outmatched is with the 3rd line.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Can we roll over some of those extras goals to Wednesday's game?

Wow, whatever the Bruins were smoking tonight, I hope they have a big supply. Finally they start firing on all cylinders. Tyler Sequin performed well when he was called upon, but I like that Julien brought Thornton back into the mix. He's the kind of player that you probably absolutely hate if he's not on your team. He'll get some penalties, but he also draws a lot of penalties from the other team as well, and plays with a lot of fire on every shift. His biggest contributions don't show up on any score sheets, and his energy can be infectious, which I think definitely played a role tonight. And speaking of penalties, how about the Bs goose-egging the Canucks on 8 power plays, while scoring two shorthanded goals in the process, plus two PP goals of their own. A total reversal of fortunes on the power play tonight.

The only dark cloud (and it's a big one) over tonight's game was Horton going down after a late hit. Fingers crossed that he's okay, but judging by the way they were handling him after the hit, I'm expecting that he likely won't be back this season. I hope I'm wrong. He's a huge loss for the Bs, which really sucks. It's comparable to if the Canucks lost Kesler or one of the Sedins. In my opinion, the guy who hit him (don't remember who it was offhand), should be suspended no questions asked because of how late the hit was, but we'll see. Nothing surprises me anymore about discipline in the NHL.

Horton was a scoring option for the Bruins, Horton is the 5th defenseman, so it is not at all a good trade for Boston...

Still, GO VAN!

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

The way Boston played their 2 home games, they look like the team who'll win the cup.

Thomas has been unbelievable, the defense has been great at not giving up the blue line, getting a hold of Thomas few rebounds to avoid second scoring chances and are constantly in the shooting lanes.

They completely dominate in the face-off circle, have killed all but one penalty from the best power play in the NHL and are imposing their physical style.

I hate to say it, but I think Boston will take this series in 7 games.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

A number of Van fans I've spoken with are claiming it was "slow ice" in Boston that gave them the edge.

Let's see... Van wins two at home, 1-0 with the winning goal happening at 0:18 left in the 3rd, and one in OT.

Van goes to Boston and gets outscored 12-1 in 2 games.

And that's slow ice? Nah.

the ice was clearly choppy, but the puck hopped over Bruin sticks as much as it did to the team in white and blue/green...Thomas is the problem, not the ice...

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

I'm trying to figure out how it is that, with all the buzz on this thread after the first couple games, that no one bothered with it once the series got fiercely competitive, especially with all the controversy...

I suppose I'm putting it to bed by saying...

F*** YEAH! CUP COMES HOME TO BEANTOWN!

Archived