Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NHL 2010-2011 Thread

Bridog6996

With the new season underway, I figured it was time. I apologize if this has already been started, but a search didn't turn up anything since last season. I guess it's because hockey is, well, not all that popular state-side, but anyway...

I was super psyched to wake up today to catch the Bruins' opener in Prague against the Coyotes. Unfortunately, it was a disappointing loss. Really impressed by Nathan Horton and his two goals though. He's got a deadly wrist shot.

On a related topic, is anyone interested in joining a fantasy hockey league? I do it every year with friends, and I thought it'd be fun to have a Keyboard Corner league if 6-10 people (hopefully more) want in.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hockey is the main sport here in the frozen North, so if the fantasy league was simple enough for me to grasp (like the NFL pick 'em), I would be interested....

GO RANGERS! Henrik is the King!

Though I think it is far more likely that Vancouver or San Jose win it all....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

HOOOOOMMMMMMIIIIIEEEE:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWbrZ_PE0U

What a first game for the Oilers. The three kids rock the house, the suspect goalie looks solid as ever, the defence is unbreachable and Steve Macintyre knocks Raitis Ivanans out. 4-0 in the year's first Battle of Alberta. Different tune from last year, when Calgary swept the season.

[video:youtube]

The new season is under way and hope is the word about town. Second game tonight against Nashville, we'll see how it all holds up.

I guess Derek Stepan kind of outdid Eberle with the whole hat-trick in the first game of his career thing.

It's tough to do a pick 'em style thing for a sport like hockey, but it works with football because there are so few games in the season. The fantasy hockey I usually do is through ESPN. It's much like the other fantasy sports where you draft players, set your rosters, get points through statistics, etc.

Missed the second Boston-Phoenix game in Prague today because it was on too early, but it looks like it was the game I wish I had seen yesterday. Another goal by Nathan Horton, rookie Tyler Sequin's first NHL goal on a sweet breakaway, and a shutout by Tim Thomas. Looks like Thomas and his new hip are saying that the goalie battle in Boston isn't over yet.

Not to put too much pressure on my Capitals, but anything other than a Cup this year will be a disappointment. If you ask me, though, they'll need at least one hardass defenseman and a rock solid goalie to get 'em there. I'm not sure the young kids they've got minding the net (Varlamov and Neuvirth) are capable of taking the team to Lord Stanleyland.

As evidenced by the dominating win against the Devils last night, though, this team continues to have offensive firepower galore!

Noah

Though I think it is far more likely that Vancouver or San Jose win it all....

I would love for my hometown Sharks to take it, but I am too cautious for such optimism until the 2d or 3d round of playoffs! They looked great last year, #1 going in and just choked it, which has happened before. :( We shall see ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Went to the Nashville Predators opener last night against Anaheim. While they won 4-1, it wasn't terribly energetic play from either team. Preds are going to have to step it up a bit or they're going to get eaten alive.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I went ahead and set up a fantasy league on ESPN.com if anyone is interested in joining. There are a total of 10 slots (9 left after myself), and I made it public so that there's no dealing with passwords and whatnot, and also so maybe some stragglers will fill in the empty slots in case not enough people here are into it. Usually I like to do a live draft, but in this case I figured it would be to tough to coordinate, so I made it autopick. The draft will take place this Sunday morning, Oct. 17, at 5am ET. If you join, sometime before then you'll need to set your draft settings and player rankings, and the draft will take place automatically.

To sign up click here for the league directory, then put "KC Forum" in the search box and it should come up. You have to create an ESPN.com account (which only takes a second), but it's free to join.

Hope some people sign up. It should be fun!

Didn't watch the Edmonton-Florida game last night, what with the local blackout and canadian Thanksgiving, but we're lucky the goalies played the way they did. Khabibulin made 26 saves, while Vokoun made ten. We won 3-2. Talk about ugly.

Do you guys think Edmonton can pull off last year's Colorado? Young hotshots riding a solid goalie surprisingly make the playoffs?

Signing up for the pool right now.

Ah shit, totally missed out on the auto-draft! I completely forgot. I was busy at my first practice of the year! Woot woot! My team looks ok, though. Just ok.

Hmm, Oilers... 2-0, now 2-2. They really should be 1-3. They need to get some energy back in their game. A good solid forecheck, some fast rushes and quick shots. Crash that net!

Well. 2-3. Here we go. We played well, but couldn't put the puck in the net. Fourth line benched after giving up two goals on two shifts. Khabibulin is still looking great. Hall played very well, but couldn't score. He got 11 shots! We'll see where we get. We need to play with more energy, dammit!

How's everyone else doing?

Hey, what do you guys think about Québec's (the city, that is) chances at bringing back an NHL team? The mayor and the province premier have both commited money and Stevie Harper seems down for it too. The Remparts de Québec are the top team in the CHL and have had the best attendance for several years in the LHJMQ. We've heard these rumours before, but could they be true this time? It seems closer than before...

or Winnepeg or Hamilton, or a second team in Toronto...there has been a lot of discussion and rumour, but I don't see the NHL expanding...so it is only a question if one of the southern teams (TB? Florida?) needs to move. Coyotes seem set for Phoenix now, and Atlanta and Carolina seem stable...Dallas and the California teams arent going anywhere....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

You kinda have to go where the action is if you're the NHL. Unfortunately, hockey ranks pretty low in popularity here in the states, so another Canadian team makes more sense. There are a lot of teams in poorly chosen markets that have to be losing money. The Blue Jackets and the Thrashers stand out to me as prime candidates to be relocated. I don't see either team ever having a chance at being successful where they are.

Another team in Toronto. GIVE ME A BREAK! :mad: Even though I know there are plenty of people who would put money behind it... For me, Toronto fans just plain suck. There just seems to be no passion in the building. I tell you, when I watched the Hockey Night in Canada season kick-off, the difference between the Montréal-Toronto game and the Calgary-Edmonton game was huge. I mean huge . I don't think Toronto is that much bigger than any other place that it could realistically support a team any better than another city. Even Hamilton's questionable IMNSHO.

I'm a little biased towards Québec, though. Just a bit.

Tim Thomas is, indeed, looking crazy good. I watched the home-and-home series with the Capitals a couple of weeks ago (including being there live at the game in DC), and he simply stuffed the Caps both nights.

Nice to see my Caps get back their offensive mojo last night in Calgary, though. Six goals in the second period (including back-to-back goals by Ovi just 12 seconds apart) shows that this team can still bring it.

On the topic of relocation, I heard recently that the NHL is currently paying the bills for the Dallas Stars. If true, that doesn't bode well for the future of that franchise in that city.....

Noah

Shades of last season for the Bruins tonight against the Blues, when there seemed to be an invisible force field keeping Bruins shots from going in the net. Nathan Horton had not one, but TWO shots beat Halak, only to hit off the goal post/cross bar, land exactly on top of the goal line, then somehow defy the laws of physics by bouncing away instead of into the goal. I've never seen anything like it. Horton's going to be having nightmares about that. On top of that, the Bruins rang the goal post twice in the overtime shootout.

SO FRUSTRATING!

The Blues are off to a great start this season. It's still early, but who would have thunk that 11 games into the season they'd have only 1 loss? Not me.

Archived