Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NHL 2010-2011 Thread

Bridog6996

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for my yearly deja-vu moment, when the Caps get outed early.

I don't know. It looks like Boudreau has finally grabbed the bull by the horns and turned the caps from a collection of great goal scorers to a team that plays like a unit offensively and defensively. They scored 96 less goals than last season while allowing 36 less goals. I think they've got a good chance. The only question mark for me is the goaltending, because you know Lundqvist will be solid on the other end.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

The Rangers will have to get scoring from their secondary players to have any shot I think. Guys like Boyle, who was really hot during the first half of the season and then went ice cold in the second half, although he's generally not thought of as a goal scorer anyway. Dubinsky and Gaborik are gonna need to find the back of the net with regularity as well. Basically, Lundqvist will do his part, but they're gonna need to give him support by scoring, especially against a team like the Caps.

Completely agree with Ian about the Montreal/Boston series likely being decided between the pipes. And with Price and Thomas in net, what a matchup that will be.

As for the Caps, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic this year, although the Rangers scare me (especially since they outscored the Caps 15-1 this year). I'd feel better if the Caps could get some of the D-men back from injury, but what will be will be....

Noah

I don't know. It seems like every game the Caps win is a 1 goal game

I'd say thhat's one of the improvements over previous years. Playoffs are all about one goal games.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Boston/Montreal might get ugly.

I think it'll be a great series. Long-storied rivalry plus all the shit that went down this year.

However, I think both teams will show some restraint. Montreal can't play the physical/robust game especially against Boston. And Boston can't afford to give the Habs too many powerplay opportunities.

This one will be decided between the pipes, IMO.

I think Vancouver-Chicago could get uglier because of what Ian said. They've got pretty recent bad blood.

• 1 month later...

Go Canada!

hope the Canucks can solve Thomas, if the Bruins win it will be because of him...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

I've definitely been routing against the Canucks, because if the Bruins made it they'd obviously be the toughest team to face. If the Bruins can be patient and keep to their defensive system, they can hang with any team in the league. Other teams have been successful when they've been able to suck the Bs into a run-and-gun type game, which is when they start to play really sloppy. They start giving up turnovers and making questionable decisions with the puck, despite the fact that they're a vastly improved offensive team compared to previous seasons. The Lightning did a pretty god job of that, and the Bruins barely survived.

On the flip side, I think if the Canucks are going to win, they're going to have to skate harder than they have in the playoffs so far, for two reasons. One, the Bruins have a tendency to wear teams down, especially in tight, fast-paced games. They've been doing it all season, and it's why they've been so successful in close games. Two, if Tim Thomas brings his A game, goals will be scarce, so every point will have to really count.

Bridog, good points. The Bruins, as usual, will have to try and bang up the Canucks. Not always an easy feat, as Vancouver is still fairly tough, but as you said, Boston's game is wearing their opponents down.

However, I think Luongo is just as capable as Thomas. One area that I feel Vancouver can exploit is Thomas's lack of technical skills. If he starts flopping around his crease as Sedin, Sedin & Co. pass the puck around, he'll get very dizzy very quickly. Which also means that the Bruins need to stay out of the box at all costs. Vancouver's PP is deadly.

I think we'll see a very passionate series with two good coaches trying to match lines, two fast, physical teams trying to suck the other into it's game. I expect that the team who can play it's game the most will win.

Actually, Thomas is really at his best when he's moving and flopping around. He will let in the occasional soft goal though. 3-4 times thus far in the playoffs he has failed to stop a puck that was lightly backhanded from virtually no angle, from almost the exact same spot every time. The Canucks best bet is to just fire pucks at him as much as possible.

The Bruins definitely need to avoid penalties.

Meh, I don't know that I'd call that his best. If he keeps it under control, it can make for some sensational stops, but he can easily be thrown way out of position. Game 7 against Tampa, I remember him being two feet to the left of his net at one point.

Anyway, both teams need to shoot. Luongo and Thomas have both been known for being inconsistent at times.

BTW, the Saint John Sea Dogs won the Memorial Cup yesterday, becoming the first maritime team to win it in it's 93-year history. It caps a stellar season for them after finishing first in the CHL and tying the LHJMQ's Regular season wins record.

Wow! Game 1, huh? Good show, I'm excited for the rest of the series.

I missed the first fifteen because of rehearsal, but a very good game nonetheless.

Lots of good hits and some nice, spirited scrumming. :) Dan Hamhuis rocked Milan Lucic (Milan Lucic! 6'4"-240 Lbs!). And who ever saw Janick Hansen throw a check like he did on Andrew Ference?! Crazy what playoffs do to players!

Phenomenal goaltending, especially from Thomas. Luongo was solid as well, but didn't face as many quality shots. Thomas just couldn't stop that last one, not that he's to blame. Vancouver turned up the heat at just the right time. They tired the B's out at the end with the dump-and-chase, leading to the bad coverage on the winning goal.

Vancouver's defence is sooooo deep! They're never in a tight spot defensively and always have good puck distribution for breakout/transition.

Come to think of it, Vancouver's deep everywhere. Their third line, Lapierre-Torres-Hansen, won the game tonight, eclipsing the Kelly-Peverly-Ryder line. Corey Schneider is without a doubt one of the best backups in the league.

Andrew Ference is an idiot. He annoys me every time I see his face. Ever since he flipped the bird in MTL in the first round, I can't look at him without thinking that he's a prick. Sorry if he's got fans here.

Gary Bettman. Ugh. Hate. He was interviewed on RDS and he sounded to me like a cancerous testicle. A cancerous testicle that we have finally won a battle against!

WINNIPEG!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING BACK THE JETS!!!!!!! Screw the south! Bring hockey back where it's valued! YEAH! :):D:cool:

I gotta say, I like one of the suggestions on RDS's panel. Call them the Jets again. The fans identify with the name, the brand's already built and, hell, vintage is in style right now. But on top of the name, you sign Teemu Selanne to ring in the new era. Why not? He's a free agent, and while he could cost more than what he might end up producing, he would be a huge mobilising factor. Let's hope it happens!

Great game, though I think both teams need to notch up the discipline a bit, far too many penalties.

I go for Manitoba Moose for the new name.

Also, can't see Selanne signing for Manitoban winters, if he plays it will be in sunny CA.

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

Strange game. Lots of penalties, but neither teams' power play could get anything done. The Bruins got caught flat-footed with 19 seconds left to lose 1-0 (maybe they thought it was offside?), and we learned that Alex Burrows is a biter. I hope he gets suspended for that, if for no other reason than just because it's super lame. Overall, though, I think these teams are pretty evenly matched. Both have deep rosters, can beat you with any line, and great goaltending.

Regarding Winnipeg, the Jets franchise is still owned by the Phoenix Coyotes, so I'm not sure calling a Winnipeg team the Jets is even an option. I don't know for sure, but I would think it's trademark issue.

I'm still a little miffed that Vancouver won on a play that very easily could have been called offsides. That's not an excuse, because that stuff happens, but it kinda sucked to see a great game end on a questionable note, especially if you're on the losing end. Between that and the Burrows "biting incident," I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after game 1. The rest of the series should be just as tightly played, which will be entertaining, so hopefully the Bruins will get one back on Saturday.

I'm still a little miffed that Vancouver won on a play that very easily could have been called offsides.

Slo-mo replays shows that Kesler wasn't offside. It was close, but he had part of his skate on the blue line when the puck went into the zone.

It was an exceptional game, and Thomas was spectacular. There wasn't anything he could do on that play.

In the end, Vancouver deserved to win: they completely dominated that 3rd period. And while Luongo made more saves and got the shutout, the real scoring chances were all on the Vancouver side.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

I think Selanne would be down for at least one more year, considering the history he has in Winnipeg. At least I hope. Finland ain't Florida, after all.

I believe I heard on RDS/TSN that the Jets name is owned by the NHL. Hopefully that means that, if True North wants it, they could name the team the Jets.

Agreed, biting is hella-lame. Burrows is a good agitator with plenty of skill, but he sometimes steps over the line. I gotta say, it was fun to see the two of them go at it, though (Especially if you can read a few of the words off their lips!).

As far as penalties go, I'm chalking it up to the refs setting a tone for the series. I don't believe they called a single penalty in the third. Same as the way they'll call more in the beginning of the season, of a series or of a game. I'm sure the number of calls will diminish as the series progresses.

Injuries. Dan Hamhuis is supposedly going to be back for Game 2. Manny Malholtra is day-to-day. Kesler is apparently playing hurt, but seems to be holding up fine. Luongo looked shaky at times, but the result was still solid. Marc Savard... :(

Colin Campbell stepped away from his disciplinarian duties yesterday, ending what must have been years of hell for him. Brendan Shanahan is taking his place. Will any changes be made to policies? We'll have to wait and see... Burrows might be his first order of business!

Draft, anyone? Who's going first? No one knows, but it's already been a hot topic for months here, seeing as, well, we locked up that spot months ago... Heh.

I'm still a little miffed that Vancouver won on a play that very easily could have been called offsides.

Slo-mo replays shows that Kesler wasn't offside. It was close, but he had part of his skate on the blue line when the puck went into the zone.

It was extremely close. On one replay angle I saw, it looked like he was slightly balancing on one skate at the time the puck crossed the line, and that his other foot that was "on the line" was actually an inch or two off the ice. If that was the case, then he was offside.

It was the very definition of a borderline call is all I'm saying. If it had been called offside, probably nobody would have second-guessed it either. It's tough to tell for sure. It kinda sucks to be on the butt end of it in that situation though. Ultimately, any blame lies on the Bruins for letting Torres waltz in unchecked to get that goal.

Oh well, still plenty more games to go hopefully.

I saw the replays, the toe was definitely down :)

er, GO CANUCKS!

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

Archived