Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

should I upgrade from S90ES to S90XS?

jimmymio

I've used the ES for several years and really like it. I've been considering an upgrade but on another list I saw this post:

"...While I love my S70XS and wouldn't trade it, try your best to play one before buying; a lot of people hate the piano on the S70/XS and much prefer the piano on the earlier S90/ES. Some people really hate the piano on the new model...."

Can anyone comment?

Also I played the XS briefly in a store and the action seemed different than the ES. Is this true?

And finally, what's up with that miniature LCD screen? It looks like it's from a 1990's KB.

Thanks, JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I upgraded from a S90ES to a S70ES. To me, the S90ES piano is a better gigging piano (cuts through a band better) and the S70XS/S90XS sounds more detailed/realistic (especially in the higher register) in solo context, but has this weird boxyness to it in the low end. I partially changed to a S70XS for the smaller size and weight....not sure I would switch to a S90XS. In terms of the interface, there are things on the XS that are now more intuitive, but there are times when it's a drag that you can't edit a patch without a computer.

Regarding the action, Yamaha says the weighted actions on S90 ES, S90XS, Motif XS, XF are all the same.....but when I play them in stores side by side (with the volume turned down), they all feel slightly different. For a short period I owned both a S90Es and S70XS.....they did not feel identical.

I would just purchase one from a store that had a generous return policy and play both of them for a week or so and make a decision. I will say that I would like my S70XS a lot better if I had access to the S90ES piano for certain situations.

My experience was very similar to Nicky's. S90ES worked out better as a band piano; S90XS sounded great for solo/small ensemble work. Being that the S90ES had also -over the years - worked well as a solo piano, I sold the S90XS. Unfortunately I also just moved the ES - as the heavy, balanced action was beating up my right hand too much (started developing tendonosis). I did notice that the actions of the two keyboards felt slightly different. If the main piano in the S90XS had been based on a CFS III sample, I might have tried working with it a bit longer to see if the different action aggravated my RH as much as the ES. However for those whom the S6 piano works out well, the S90XS is a dream machine, IMO. I thought the improved front panel features were great; that 'Panel Lock' function is awesome. I wish that had been on my S90ES, and I certainly miss it on my FP-4 (I've hit the Function button, Metronome, etc. a couple of times already during some wilder solos... Think I need the equivalent of a cafeteria 'sneeze guard' between the back of the keybed and front panel.)

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

and I certainly miss it on my FP-4 (I've hit the Function button, Metronome, etc. a couple of times already during some wilder solos...

Sorry to OT, but I think the FP4 does have this feature. It's a combination of 2 buttons, as I recall. Look in the manual.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I'm an S90ES owner who has never played or heard the XS.

I'm curious on hearing others comments regarding the ES piano not sounding as good as a solo piano... are we comparing the Natural S (patch #1) piano? Because I find the Dark S piano on the ES (I think it's patch #3) to be very well-suited to solo piano work.

I guess I'm wondering how others feel the Dark S compares to the pianos on the XS.

Well it is a digital piano, like a Hammond clone it is only going to be so close. You guys are splitting hairs.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

and I certainly miss it on my FP-4 (I've hit the Function button, Metronome, etc. a couple of times already during some wilder solos...

Sorry to OT, but I think the FP4 does have this feature. It's a combination of 2 buttons, as I recall. Look in the manual.

:thu: Just found it: Function + Equalizer = Panel Lock; repeat and it unlocks. Thanks !

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived