Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K10

kanker.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used an EON G2 10 for years as a vocal monitor. It finally stopped working two weeks ago, so I bought a K10 to replace it. I don't know how this speaker performs at full bandwidth, but as a vocal monitor it is just sublime! I have never heard my voice so well on stage, which makes it so much easier to sing. Highly recommended!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I have never heard my voice so well on stage, which makes it so much easier to sing. Highly recommended!

My guitar player used it with his Fractal Audio Axe-FX box on a gig recently.

He's selling all of his Mesa gear.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

So the Rolls MX28 came Monday, used it last night. Great little line mixer, solidly built. I wish the wall wart were as sturdy - I think I'll have to find a replacement or 2.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

What is the/a Fractal Axe ?

When I was googling around trying to find user comments on my RCFs, that site kept coming up. I joined to ask a few questions to people who had used the RCF TT08As but I soon realized it was a guitar forum. :cry:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

What is the/a Fractal Axe ?

When I was googling around trying to find user comments on my RCFs, that site kept coming up. I joined to ask a few questions to people who had used the RCF TT08As but I soon realized it was a guitar forum. :cry:

It's an awesome pre-amp/cabinet simulator/FX box. From what I understand, lots of ax grinders have been unloading their racks of gear for this thing. It's quite something to hear.

So the Rolls MX28 came Monday, used it last night. Great little line mixer, solidly built. I wish the wall wart were as sturdy - I think I'll have to find a replacement or 2.

Isn't the Rolls passive? How does it boost the kbs' signal if it's passive? I'm thinking of adding a small mixer, as well, but want to boost the signal a bit and assumed an active/powered mixer was needed...

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Isn't the Rolls passive? How does it boost the kbs' signal if it's passive? I'm thinking of adding a small mixer, as well, but want to boost the signal a bit and assumed an active/powered mixer was needed...

It's a powered line mixer :thu:

On order, it will hopefully be here Thursday. The tote is on backorder but will be shipped when they get them. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A buddy of mine got them shipped with the bag for $690.00 a piece. They sound really crisp.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Mine just arrived. So far I tested it with the CP33 and the C1. Very loud, very clean. The output from the CP33 is sufficient to give enough juice to the speaker for the kind of gigs I do. No mixer needed.

With the Bass EQ set to "deep", I'm quite sure you can kick some nice organ bass. I have the first gig with it on Saturday and will report back then.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

With the Bass EQ set to "deep", I'm quite sure you can kick some nice organ bass. I have the first gig with it on Saturday and will report back then.

I recently played around with this and was quite impressed with the organ bass sounds.

One thing you may notice on your first K10 gig is all the patches sound different - clearer, than before. (I had been using a Behringer kb amp) My bandmates all remarked about my "new" sounds.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

One thing you may notice on your first K10 gig is all the patches sound different - clearer, than before. (I had been using a Behringer kb amp) My bandmates all remarked about my "new" sounds.

Yeah, I'm embarassed to admit I've used an Alesis Sumo 100 until now. Talk about different sound... :laugh:

I was looking into buying new amplification for a long time, but on Saturday I'm subbing in a band I've never played in before. I would have felt kinda stupid to show up with this big, sonical debris-producing bit of Alesis amp, so I ordered the K10.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

There's a link on QSC's web site that for a limited time, if you register your K10 (or K8, K12, KSub, or several other QSC products), they'll give you a six year extended warranty for free. They apparently charge $99 for this. So those of you who have bought new K10s (in the US at least, I don't know about the rest of the planet) should go register.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Mine arrived yesterday. I tried it out at home, and it sounds pretty good. I noticed right away how "pointy" it is, that the sound changed quite a bit depending on where I was relative to it. (I ran a CD through it first to get an idea of how it sounded overall, in case you were wondering how I moved around it while listening.)

I brought it to an audition last night, and at first, it sounded like crap. I had turned up the gain a bit expecting to need to with the Electro, but something wasn't right. I looked, and the mic/line switch had gotten switched to mic. I switched it back to line and got the sound I was expecting. However, as we played, they were having trouble hearing me and I kept needing to turn it up. I finally ended up switching it back to mic and turning it down some.

I'm going to have to figure out how to handle this if it continues to be an issue. I'd rather not get a mixer if I can make things work without one.

Mine arrived yesterday. I tried it out at home, and it sounds pretty good. I noticed right away how "pointy" it is, that the sound changed quite a bit depending on where I was relative to it.

Interesting, since one of its selling points is its conical dispersion pattern. I wonder if you might be better off with the K8, which has a 105 degree dispersion pattern instead of 90 degrees.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There's a link on QSC's web site that for a limited time, if you register your K10 (or K8, K12, KSub, or several other QSC products), they'll give you a six year extended warranty for free. They apparently charge $99 for this. So those of you who have bought new K10s (in the US at least, I don't know about the rest of the planet) should go register.

Cool, it's available in Canada as well.

I'm going to have to figure out how to handle this if it continues to be an issue. I'd rather not get a mixer if I can make things work without one.

I tried the K12 with my trusty Yamaha MG8/2FX mixer and found a bit of noise (these speakers are so pristine) emanating from the mixer. Not nearly as noisy as using the mic input in the K12 .... which creates the additional issue of mismatched impedance.

So (for me) the solution is to use careful gainstaging in the synth for smaller venues. Used it last sunday and was pleased with the clarity and power.

I think I could get quite a few more decibels by adding the mixer in the chain on occasions when I expect to throw the sound out to an audience several feet away. Hoping this helps,

Cool, it's available in Canada as well.

Where did you see this, Dan? On the QSC Extended Warranty Statement it states "The Extended Warranty Offer is only available to purchasers within the United States of America who have purchased from authorized U.S. dealers."

I'd love to double the warranty (although 3 years is pretty damn good!), but didn't see anywhere that led me to believe it was available to us Canucks. ;)

EDIT: Never mind, just found this page that states "U.S. and Canada customers only." QSC's web department needs a gentle nudge to keep their content in sync. :facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestions, Tusk. More experimenting is definitely necessary.

Scott, I don't want to go down to the K8 because I'll probably lose too much low end. The dispersion pattern isn't too bad, I was just saying it can be noticeable.

I'd rather not get a mixer if I can make things work without one.

The Electro has notoriously low output. Have you tried the headphone jack trick?

Yup. I think the benefits of having a small mixer outweigh the pain of another box to pack up and carry. Headphone outputs can distort the front end of many powered speakers. I've tried it with my keyboards and JBL EON.

Plus, having a mixer gives you more control over EQ.

Finally, most mixers have a few mic inputs so that when the lady comes out of the audience and wants to sing to one of your tunes, JOE, you've got the situation covered.

Priorities Joe. Priorities.

(WWPDS?) What would ProfD say? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

OK - advice time folks

The MX28 has an output impedance of 100ohms if I'm reading this right

The K10 has an input impedance of 20kohms Line unbal, 2260ohms Mic through either the XLR or 1/4"

First, am I reading those right, and second does that mean I should run the input on the K10 in mic mode for better impedance matching. The only thing I know about electricity is that my wife goes through a hell of a lot of batteries....

Scott, I don't want to go down to the K8 because I'll probably lose too much low end.

I'm considering a K8 myself. On paper, the bass response is still quite good (down 6 db at 66 Hz vs 60 Hz on the K10, though also with a 2 dB reduction in max SPL overall)... but moreover, when I'm doing left hand bass and really want the bottom to kick, I have a Markbass combo that does the trick (and is still small and light, lighter than a K10). So I figure, when I'm handling the bass, that will cover me... and when I'm playing with a bassist, the K8 should be sufficient.

The down side for stage use is that the K8 isn't physically designed to function as a floor monitor. Not a problem if I sit it on top of the Markbass amp, but it leaves me with no great place to put it if I want to use it alone. At the moment, I bring the Markbass almost all the time anyway, but I would like the flexibility of something that could easily sit by itself too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OK - advice time folks

The MX28 has an output impedance of 100ohms if I'm reading this right

The K10 has an input impedance of 20kohms Line unbal, 2260ohms Mic through either the XLR or 1/4"

First, am I reading those right, and second does that mean I should run the input on the K10 in mic mode for better impedance matching. The only thing I know about electricity is that my wife goes through a hell of a lot of batteries....

You don't really want to try to match impedances for active devices - for passive devices like a mic or guitar pickup, you do.

For active devices, what you want is that the output impedance of the feeding device (mixer or keyboard) is quite a bit lower than the input impedance of the device being fed (QSC). This allows the first device to feed several inputs from its output without being loaded down.

So you should be fine.

Moe

---

The only thing I know about electricity is that my wife goes through a hell of a lot of batteries....

:blush::facepalm:

BWAHAHAhahahahahahahaha!!! :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The only thing I know about electricity is that my wife goes through a hell of a lot of batteries....

:blush::facepalm:

BWAHAHAhahahahahahahaha!!! :laugh:

Same here man!

Look for that on Tom's sig! Friggin' hliarious.

Finally, most mixers have a few mic inputs so that when the lady comes out of the audience and wants to sing to one of your tunes, JOE, you've got the situation covered.

Priorities Joe. Priorities.

(WWPDS?) What would ProfD say? :cool:

Too many cellphones with cameras nowadays. Cop the mixer. Let the singer blow from her table.

I'd hate for Joe M. to run back and forth to Costco buying batteries in bulk. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived