Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Oberheim new SEM

BP3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mr. Helper. :rolleyes::bor:

Hey Bill - Yep I've had mine (patch version) since January and absolutely love it. The sound quality is beautiful and it's really easy to dial in to the sweet spot (as they say). I've been controlling it with my Voyager through the VX-351 interface but have ran into some problems. The tracking is fine until you start running through the mixers, lag, mults etc. I believe this introduces too much error in the pitch CV causing scaling/tuning problems. I just got a Moog MP201 pedal which also provides it's own CV outputs(4) and this works much better. It has adjustable cv voltage per octave (the Voyager itself does not) and also has glide and pitch bend so you don't have to do a lot of patching just to add in these capabilities.

... I've been controlling it with my Voyager through the VX-351 interface but have ran into some problems. The tracking is fine until you start running through the mixers, lag, mults etc. I believe this introduces too much error in the pitch CV causing scaling/tuning problems. ...

Just to be clear, are you saying the mixers, lag and mults of the VX-351 are the problem or those features on the Oberheim?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The pics on Markyboard's thread got me wondering... has Tom mentioned any future plans to market a 4 or 8 voice keyboard assembly that could/would hold 4 or 8 SEM's plus a programmer and/or arpeggiator? I could imagine a few folks around here who would consider a second mortgage for one...

I went to his website and did send him an email and got on his mailing list so I might hear about it if he should announce it but does anyone know of any rumours?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Hey Bill - Yep I've had mine (patch version) since January and absolutely love it. The sound quality is beautiful and it's really easy to dial in to the sweet spot (as they say). I've been controlling it with my Voyager through the VX-351 interface but have ran into some problems. The tracking is fine until you start running through the mixers, lag, mults etc. I believe this introduces too much error in the pitch CV causing scaling/tuning problems. I just got a Moog MP201 pedal which also provides it's own CV outputs(4) and this works much better. It has adjustable cv voltage per octave (the Voyager itself does not) and also has glide and pitch bend so you don't have to do a lot of patching just to add in these capabilities.

I may have to come down to Springfield for a demo, if you'll have me. ;)

When I emailed Tom about signing up for his mailing list I asked him if he has any plans to market a 4 or 8 voice keyboard assembly that could or would hold 4 or 8 SEM's plus a programmer and/or arpeggiator. I actually wasn't expecting a reply, but he had this to say:

"Now that the MIDI to CV version of the SEM is shipping, I am starting to get busy on the re-release of the old 2 voice. Should be interesting...

It's just that the final feature set, the final price and delivery dates are by no means settled.

Best guess of delivery date is end of the year. It will have an enhanced minisequencer, and of course 2 SEMs, but also the keyboard will have 2 voice, 3 voice and 4 voice modes. In 2 voice mode it is just a 2 voice with the 2 built in SEMs. But in 3 or 4 voice mode, jacks on the back can be used with one or two external analog modules (SEMs or anything else with 1 volt/oct & +5 gate signals)."

All straight from Tom's email.

Well, it's a start!!! And thanks Tom...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

... I've been controlling it with my Voyager through the VX-351 interface but have ran into some problems. The tracking is fine until you start running through the mixers, lag, mults etc. I believe this introduces too much error in the pitch CV causing scaling/tuning problems. ...

Just to be clear, are you saying the mixers, lag and mults of the VX-351 are the problem or those features on the Oberheim?

Sorry - yes on the VX351. The SEM is just fine and the same problem would occur with any oscillator module being controlled. The 351 (and 251) are great for routing control voltages except where accuracy over large ranges is required i.e pitch cv over several octaves.

I may have to come down to Springfield for a demo, if you'll have me. ;)

Fridge is well stocked with beer. :thu::rawk:

Sorry - yes on the VX351. The SEM is just fine and the same problem would occur with any oscillator module being controlled. The 351 (and 251) are great for routing control voltages except where accuracy over large ranges is required i.e pitch cv over several octaves.

Thats good to know. I have the VX-351 but so far Ive only used it to access CV from the touch pad and wheels to control variances of the sound. Im using MIDI to CV modules for controlling note pitch. So far both the Doepfer and the synthesizer.com MIDI to CV units work well for this. Problem is, all they do it the note conversion. I have read about some active multis that avoid this problem but I expected the Moog Multis to be quality enough to hold steady. I wonder if the problem is a weak CV from the pitch output of the VX-351 that does not divide well once it hits a multi. I may experiment with that over the next week or so.

I wonder if the problem is a weak CV from the pitch output of the VX-351 that does not divide well once it hits a multi. I may experiment with that over the next week or so.

Could be. Like I said (or tried to) just using the Key CV works fine. But when I configured to add pitch bend and brought the KEY CV and Pitch Wheel CV to the mixer on the CP-251, that's when things started going south. Also when using the voyager pitch wheel the SEM pitch does not return to the same point each time causing it to be slightly detuned. Again this does not affect the Voyager. Trying to simulate glide , running the key CV through the lag circuit on the 251 also created tuning problems. Same for the mults on either the 351 or 251. I did find that moving the patch cables around also affected pitch so this too may indicate a weak CV voltage. On the other hand the MP201 has pitch bend and glide functions built in with lots of options and can be added to any of the 4 CV outputs making things a whole lot easier and freeing up the 351 and 251 for other stuff.

The pics on Markyboard's thread got me wondering... has Tom mentioned any future plans to market a 4 or 8 voice keyboard assembly that could/would hold 4 or 8 SEM's plus a programmer and/or arpeggiator? I could imagine a few folks around here who would consider a second mortgage for one...

Oh, hell yes. If Mr Oberheim says a 2 voice is likely to ship later this year, maybe I can save enough for a Oberheim SEM 4 voice next year. I've had 30 years of GAS for one. It's time for the longing to end.

[...]in 3 or 4 voice mode, jacks on the back can be used with one or two external analog modules (SEMs [...])."

All straight from Tom's email.

Well, it's a start!!! And thanks Tom...

That's the best gear news in a LONG time. And the worst for my wallet... :crazy:

While a polyphonic SEM reissue sounds kewl, I hope he can implement better patch storage. The original SEM programmer was limited and couldn't store settings for filter resonance, waveform mixers, LFO modulation routing...

He didn't say anything about it having a programmer. That was part of my question to him. In his reply he did mention a minisequencer but no mention of a programmer.

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

"Now that the MIDI to CV version of the SEM is shipping, I am starting to get busy on the re-release of the old 2 voice. Should be interesting...

It's just that the final feature set, the final price and delivery dates are by no means settled...

Best guess of delivery date is end of the year."

Tom, I think most would forgive you for departing from the original by putting pitch and mod wheels on the left side of the keyboard. :cool:

><>

Steve

I heard about the two voice a month ago when it was accidentally leaked, but can't remember where I read about it. Anyway, I thought I remembered it being said that it would be a keyboard vs. a table-top module. I do hope it has patch memory.

The thought is that it will cost more than twice as much as SEM due to certain features. I'm less concerned about waiting it out for a four-voice, as the two-voice has enough tricks up its sleeve to cover a lot of ground, and as I get pretty good Oberheim polysynth type sounds from my Prophet '08.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Markyboard posted about his SEM in January 2010. Found via, you guessed it, a forum search. :thu:;)

I'd just like to say this: fortunately for me both the SEM and Ventilator topics were reopened. I've learned something new about both pieces because of it.

These two threads are a great example of how no gear discussion is ever a closed case. Users always have additional insight as time goes on. I am lurking in both threads so have nothing to say about the gear - just a Saturday morning thought.

Oh, hell yes. If Mr Oberheim says a 2 voice is likely to ship later this year, maybe I can save enough for a Oberheim SEM 4 voice next year. I've had 30 years of GAS for one. It's time for the longing to end.

Ever since I saw The Tubes use one on TV.

Archived