Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond organ (beauty in the B) -Does anyone have the files?

superquint

recently i bought the book "the hammond organ - beauty in the b" (2nd edition) by mark vail. on page 176 it says, that there are midi and audio files for download under www.backbeatbooks.com/b3/

when i point my browser to the page i get an error message. i then contacted the "so called" customer service. they wrote me

---

Backbeat Books (the books original publisher) no longer maintains this website. I do not know of any availability of these files.

Customer Service

custserv@musicdispatch.com

---

what kind of crap is that?

does anyone of you could help me out?

thanks and best regards, superquint

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, I would love those as well as I also have that book. There should be someone that can help on this forum::: you might want to post this over in the 'Editor's' page.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

recently i bought the book "the hammond organ - beauty in the b" (2nd edition) by mark vail. on page 176 it says, that there are midi and audio files for download under www.backbeatbooks.com/b3/

when i point my browser to the page i get an error message. i then contacted the "so called" customer service. they wrote me

---

Backbeat Books (the books original publisher) no longer maintains this website. I do not know of any availability of these files.

Customer Service

custserv@musicdispatch.com

---

what kind of crap is that?

does anyone of you could help me out?

thanks and best regards, superquint

Considering the book was published 8 years ago, one might have expected URL's to change, or files to have been "lost" and forgotten, particularly since Backbeat Books has gone through ownership changes, which always equals site redesigns, server migrations and the like. In other words, it's not crap, just the effects of time and reality....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hi guys,

My friend Avery Burdette of Yamaha brought this post to my attention. I've pestered Backbeat Books and Hal Leonard for years to restore the online supplemental MIDI and audio files for the Hammond book, but to -- heh heh -- no avail. But I've finally been successful in uploading them to my own website: MarkVail.com. Please let me know if you have any trouble with the downloads, but they seem to work for me.

As for alleged inaccuracies in this book, I went to the sources for all of the information that was published. While I admit there were a couple of caption mistakes in the first edition, these were fixed in the second edition. Also, there was another mistake in the second edition: the omission of Ernie Rideout's name from the Master Class pages; he was the author of that section and I'm forever sorry that the publishers left his name off of those pages.

I now respectfully ask that we raise a glass to toast a couple of gentlemen who helped me immensely with my research and contributed so very much to the Hammond cause, but have sadly since passed away: Don Leslie and Alan Young. While we're at it, cheers to Laurence Hammond himself! Oh, and to Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Brother Jack McDuff, Shirley Scott, Charles Earland, Merl Saunders, Wild Bill Davis, Richard Groove Holmes, and all of the other giants of jazz organ who are no longer with us.

Sincerely,

Mark Vail

Thanks Mark!

I have the first edition of the book and I have a question.

I downloaded the mp3 relative to the Larry Goldings Masterclass, and they are labelled 'Master Class May 2001'.

Is this Masterclass in the latest edition of the book or in the May 2001 issue of Keyboard Magazine?

I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Thank you

Nic

Hi Nic,

The Larry Goldings Master Class originally appeared in an issue of Keyboard (probably the May 2001 issue, but I'd have to retrieve the magazine to verify that) and it's also in the second edition of Beauty in the B (2002). Please let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance, and thanks for your support.

Cheers!

Mark

Mark,

great. thanks for the rapid answer. quite the opposite to the mentioned customer service.

great book by the way. i really like the ad for a leslie 700 as a piece of furniture in the living room :-)

yeah, and hail to all the hammond/leslie kings.

best regards, superquint

kranker wrote

"Considering the book was published 8 years ago, one might have expected URL's to change, or files to have been "lost" and forgotten, particularly since Backbeat Books has gone through ownership changes, which always equals site redesigns, server migrations and the like. In other words, it's not crap, just the effects of time and reality...."

yeah what ever. they have my money, so customer service should provide a solution and not a lame answer.

i think marks reply says it all ...

I have this book, and I'd recently dug it out to see if there was anything in there to help me solve a "dry" bearing problem. My copy has nothing about midi files or downloadable anything. Was that added later as part of an updated version? Mine dates back to 1997.

In spite of the OP's attitude, you gotta admit this place is great when you need a bit of info and the source shows up to respond.

Thanks Mark. And say hello to my old friend Avery when you see him. I didn't know he hung out here either.

Dry bearing in a Leslie? Easiest solution is to replace them.

If I have the terminology correct, it was a dry bearing in the organ (an old C2). It had sat for a very long time, and would make that horrible grinding like sound and A3 first drawbar would play under pitch and wobble. I think I have it fixed now, but I'm no tech, and it took me a while to figure it out and (hopefully) solve it. I believe one of my oil funnel tubes was blocked (with waxy buildup??). Someone told me to try mixing Hammond oil 50/50 with cigarette lighter fluid and after a few days, it seems to have worked its way through, and opened up the pathway. The organ must have been pretty thirsty, cause I've had no puddling whatsoever.

If a tonewheel Hammond tone generator has dried out and started squeaking, it takes several DAYS for oil to reach it if the oil is placed in the normal cups. An intricate system of waxed strings is used to slowly transfer the oil through the instrument.

I've worked on some that had been sitting for a while, and had to put ViceGrips on the shaft and force it to move to break them loose. Then spray the bearings themselves wth contact cleaner to loosen up and flush out the dried crud that was blocking them. Then put a drop or two of Hammond oil on the outside of each of the bearings *and there are a bunch of them), and finally oil in the normal manner. I don't ever remember a funnel tube being blocked, although it is possible.

If one does oil the old Hammonds too much, it does drip out and lands on the padding in the bottom of the generator, so it won't do any harm (unless grossly overdone).

The same kind of cotton strings are used to lubricate areas inside the vibrato scanner.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Hi Nic,

The Larry Goldings Master Class originally appeared in an issue of Keyboard (probably the May 2001 issue, but I'd have to retrieve the magazine to verify that) and it's also in the second edition of Beauty in the B (2002). Please let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance, and thanks for your support.

Cheers!

Mark

Thanks again,

looks like I'll have two copies of the same book.

>>If one does oil the old Hammonds too much, it does drip out and lands on the padding in the bottom of the generator<<

Aside from the L-100 and possibly the E-100, R-100, and H-100, the generators really didn't have padding under them, and the oil runs down the generator lockdown bolts resulting in an organ that "piddles" on the floor. My B-3 piddled for two years after I got it, it had so much oil in it.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I have the 2nd version of this book and enjoyed it very much. I've actually dug it out to have another read thanks to this thread. I'll definitely be checking out the files now too.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

Archived