Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moonglow's rig got me off my butt....

Tonysounds

Looks great Tony! More innovative rig pr0n!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a bit of a keyboard noob so much of the greatness of the rig would be lost on me, but a question: I was under the impression the sound set of the S90es was the same as the motif es, yet you have a Motif module in your rack, is this not redundant? Just wondering why you have the motif in your setup.

The S90ES has a killer piano not featured in the Motif module, although I believe Tony digs the piano in the module as well. The S90ES also has some fine MIDI controller functions. It is not uncommon to have some redundancy at times, especially if you like the sounds, plus there are often slight variations among the sounds. For years I played with a Triton-Pro keyboard and a Korg TR-Rack, which is essentially the sound set of the Korg Trinity in a box. To this day, I prefer many sounds in the Trinity over the Triton.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The S90ES has a killer piano not featured in the Motif module, although I believe Tony digs the piano in the module as well. The S90ES also has some fine MIDI controller functions. It is not uncommon to have some redundancy at times, especially if you like the sounds, plus there are often slight variations among the sounds. For years I played with a Triton-Pro keyboard and a Korg TR-Rack, which is essentially the sound set of the Korg Trinity in a box. To this day, I prefer many sounds in the Trinity over the Triton.

Yes, that, and in multi-timbral setups, there's just something phatter about layering 2 souunds from different units. Over using the multi-timbral capabilities of any keyboard can be limiting and less sonically powerful, I find.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Yes, that, and in multi-timbral setups, there's just something phatter about layering 2 souunds from different units. Over using the multi-timbral capabilities of any keyboard can be limiting and less sonically powerful, I find.

Excellent observation. I certainly agree, but can offer no explanation as to why this is the case.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Excellent observation. I certainly agree, but can offer no explanation as to why this is the case.

If I had to guess, it is latency. I think the human ear finds imperfection appealing and more natural. For this reason, I play horn parts from two different keyboards with two different hands. Just a theory, mind you.

Regards,

Joe

I think a lot of what you guys notice is that the Voice (or Patch depending on the gear) modes are generous with the FX, and when in multi-timbral modes, the FX sharing is a bit taxing.

I prefer stacking modules as opposed to Performances/Combinations for this reason. As stated, horn parts really bear this out: stacking brass sounds from a couple different sources sounds much more realistic and fatter than a performance. I tend to grab a Motif brass sound (depending on the part, either a lead instrument, or a section), layer it with a section part from the Fantom, and then slip a little JD990 Mr. Brass in there (a fat, yet greasy analog-y patch from the JD990), or some Prophet brass from my Receptor.

As for why the duplication of S90es and Motif module, I owned the Motif module originally, and had the first Motif 8 that came to Chicago. The Motif 8 was my standalone board, but for my midi rack, I wanted the Motif in there too. The point of swapping my A90 for the S90es is that in the event some musical spontaneity were to occur, I could just switch out of Master mode on the S90es, and use it as a standalone board and grab any number of things out of my Favorites or User Banks and just go. And since piano is the bedrock of everything I seem to do, having the piano be something I like is of extreme importance, and right now, the big piano sound in the S90es is my favorite, with the Natural Grand in the Motif being my second (although for years, it was my standard). I also have some Masters set up with favorite sounds for those spontaneous moments: I have some killer Atmosphere CS80 type things for ridiculously fat and wide synth brass tones, Mtron for a couple go-to Mellotron sounds, the JD990 for my take on the DX7 electric piano sound (I always hated the DX, but the Crystal Rhodes patch is very satisfying alternative), and the Fantom CP80 sound.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a S90ES, and a Ventilator on the way. Main intention is to use the Ventilator with my NE3 and/or VB3, BUT have you ever tried the Ventilator on the S90ES organs? I've always through they might be pretty solid and swondered how they'd sound with a good sim. Er, ah, without the crappy sim on there already. Some of the organs sound really interesting, as do the Bees Knees and especially the Organimation patches, but I can't get past the crappy leslie sim. Ever tried putting them through the Ventilator (with sim effect off on the Yamaha, of course)?

thx

Neil

Neil

www.prymary.com

ww.myspace.com/AlteredDominant

myspace.com/AlteredDominant www.Prymary.com

NordElectro3/S90XS/SteinwayS(midi'd)/KX88/Apple MBP, iMac/MainStage2/Scrbee/NI Komplete/ApogeeDuet/QSCplx1804/JBLmrx512/SpcStnSRX/LogicPro9/DP/ProTools

Tony,

Do you also use the gaffer's tape/velcro on the top of your S90ES to hold the drawbar controller and Line 6 unit in place?

Thanks!

I do. You know Im addicted to gafftape and Velcro! I should buy stock in those companies.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived