Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by Jeff Klopomeyer:

However, the Jets/Colts game was terrific. Manning played like a champion, and all in all, his team could have won that game. I hate to blame everything on any one circumstance of a game, but seriously: Jim Caldwell gets an F in time management, and that final time out is one of the most inexplicable coaching calls in recent memory. I dont think theres any way to defend that decision.

It is unfortunate for Manning that his legacy will suffer if he ends his career with "only" one Championship. There has been some talk of that by Sports Writers. This season proved once again that football is a team sport. Manning did the best he could with what he had to work with this season. Jim Caldwell has been making some bone-headed decisions of late. Manning may be a better coach than Caldwell.

and......

You have Saturdays AFC matchup of Baltimore at Pittsburgh, and Sundays game with the Jets going to New England. Being a medium-strength hater of the Pats, Id love to see the J-E-T-S shock the world by eliminating New England, but... cmon, you think Im putting money on that?

I have to say the Ravens are ready to go into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers. The Chiefs played like the Washington Generals use to play the Globtrotters, so the Ravens got in a great "practice" to tune up for the Steelers. Mike and Mike were saying that many of the Ravens players were hobbling around on the side line before the end of the game, so the advantage would be for the Steelers. The Steelers will have that extra week of rest, and they're gonna need it if they expect to beat the Ravens. Pittsburgh has had some success against them of late, but I don't think this Steelers team is any good. It might be the Ravens against New England in the AFC Championship game because the Jets have NO Chance to beat New England.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Manning's 35 when the season starts.

The are are only 8 QBs 35 or over who started a Super Bowl.

Only 4 won. Elway's the oldest to start and oldest to win (38) and much of that was due to the club putting all its resources into his last couple years. Unitas also won a Suoer Bowl at 37. Staubach (35) and Plunkett (36) round out the list

The window's closing. Manning's in a contract year.

Manning's 35 when the season starts.

The are are only 8 QBs 35 or over who started a Super Bowl.

Only 4 won. Elway's the oldest to start and oldest to win (38) and much of that was due to the club putting all its resources into his last couple years. Unitas also won a Suoer Bowl at 37. Staubach (35) and Plunkett (36) round out the list

The window's closing. Manning's in a contract year.

Out of curiosity, ho were the four who didn't win?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Fran Tarkenton (36) Vikings 1977

Roger Staubach (36) Dallas 1979

Rich Gannon (37) Oakland 2003

Kurt Warner (37) - Arizona 2009

Then there's 4 tied at age 34 who lost (Earl Morral, Kurt Morton, and Joe Thiesman) along with .Tarkenton and 3 others who won Bart Starr, Len Dawson, and Brad Johnson.

Manning's got 3 years by historical norms.

The Jets did their part for the Chargers, delivering a 2nd round pick to the Chargers for Cromartie by winning vs. the Colts. Now Charger fans must root against them. The pick could be anywhere from 58th overall to 64th, depending on whether the Jets reach the Superbowl. Go Patriots!!!

Similarly, the Chargers get the best value out of the Whitehurst trade if the Seahawks fail to make the Superbowl. Go Bears!

Can someone explain to me why the AFC team that played on Saturday last week plays on Sunday this week and vice versa? It really doesn't seem fair. For The Steelers, it is the meaningless difference between 13 or 14 days of rest. For the Ravens it is the quite meaningful difference between 6 and 7 days' rest. Jets get an extra day to heal and prepare, which I like, but...

Is it simply a ratings-based decision? It wouldn't seem that way, as both AFC games are marquee matchups and intra-divisional rivalries.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Manning's got 3 years by historical norms.

So the Colts will give him five and count themselves lucky if three of them are peak. I wonder whether Peyton--who clearly likes money--would consider pulling a Brady and signing for less than #1 QB dollars to help Polian build a cast for his late career run. I also wonder whether Manning would thrive on a more balanced team. I bet that, like Elway, he would learn to.

Speaking of the Colts' cast, there are two guys in the league who are absolute impact defensive players, guys whose teams and prospects are completely different when they are on the field, which is NEVER:

Bob Sanders is the obvious one, but the other (whose specter is in play this weekend) is Kris Jenkins--an absolute dominant force for the 13 plays he is on the field for each year.

The thing is, Jim Irsay continues to say publicly that he's going to make sure Peyton's the highest paid player in the league, period. Seems like a great negotiation strategy, heh. If I were Peyton, I'd take less to get more on both sides of the ball, but at the same time, the Colts and the Patriots both have two of the lowest payrolls in the league anyway....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

A few thoughts before I leave for NAMM (which will, understandably, limit my time for important football-related talk)...

1. I'm secretly rooting for all the dogs. Despite my logical choices of New England and PIttsburgh to win, I'd be happiest to see Seattle, Green Bay, Baltimore and yes, the Jets win this weekend.

2. That having been said: I think the Seahawks have a better chance of beating Chicago than I do NYJ beating the Pats. In the other two games, really anything could happen... wins, losses, tight games, blowouts... I have no idea. But nothing I see in the Jets tells me they have any chance of beating the Pats. But stranger things have happened. Not many, but they have.

3. I'm really pissed that I'll miss most of the action. Every year for the past 20 years, I have to miss one of the rounds of the NFL playoffs, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now. Sometimes it's the divisonals like this year, sometimes the conference finals. And one year, maybe a decade ago, NAMM was brilliantly scheduled during Super Bowl Sunday. Despite all my bitching about it, I really don't mind working at NAMM, but missing playoff football is a crime.

4. I've really enjoyed this whole season. It's been a fun and exciting year of football. And enjoying it along with all of you made it even better. :thu:

3. I'm really pissed that I'll miss most of the action. Every year for the past 20 years, I have to miss one of the rounds of the NFL playoffs, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now. Sometimes it's the divisonals like this year, sometimes the conference finals. And one year, maybe a decade ago, NAMM was brilliantly scheduled during Super Bowl Sunday. Despite all my bitching about it, I really don't mind working at NAMM, but missing playoff football is a crime.

Yeah, four games are too many to timeshift, I suppose. You ought to be able to catch the second half of the Packers / Falcons game live on TV after the show closes on Saturday, though.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I liked the old Colts w/ Harbaugh and Falk where they had more balance

http://www.1070thefan.com/colts/thisdate/Story.aspx?ID=1313193

That is a joke, I am sure, but I'll bite anyway. They never won more than 9 games with Harbaugh at QB, and they made the playoffs twice! Manning of course has led them to the playoffs in 11 of his 13 seasons, including a current streak of 9 straight--and an incredible 8 seasons of 12 or more wins.

They are THE great regular season team. Now if you want to go tell me Brady (and therefore Roethelisberger too) is better 'cause of the rings and the much higher postseason winning percentage, OK, it is an argument people make. You should also be readying your case that Dilfer is better than Marino, 'cause the the point is useless if it is only applied to one specific QB comparison.

People differ on this, but my feeling is that changes in Peyton are not the cause of the Colts underwhelming postseason history, i.e., he is not a choker. My feeling is that his genius over-inflates the regular season performance of the team. This year is an obvious example, but my opinion is that last year was a much better example. On paper, there is simply NO WAY that is a 14-win team (who could have opted to be a 16-win team).

I'm no prognosticator, but my gut tells me Green Bay wins the NFC- I thought that whoever won the game between them and the Eagles would win the division. For the AFC, 4 good teams, hard to say. I'd like to see the Ravens win it, but NE looks like they are peaking at the right time.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Manning of course has led them to the playoffs in 11 of his 13 seasons, including a current streak of 9 straight--and an incredible 8 seasons of 12 or more wins.

They are THE great regular season team. Now if you want to go tell me Brady (and therefore Roethelisberger too) is better 'cause of the rings and the much higher postseason winning percentage, OK, it is an argument people make. You should also be readying your case that Dilfer is better than Marino, 'cause the the point is useless if it is only applied to one specific QB comparison.

People differ on this, but my feeling is that changes in Peyton are not the cause of the Colts underwhelming postseason history, i.e., he is not a choker. My feeling is that his genius over-inflates the regular season performance of the team. This year is an obvious example, but my opinion is that last year was a much better example. On paper, there is simply NO WAY that is a 14-win team (who could have opted to be a 16-win team).

Let's correct some facts:

New England has 129 regular season wins and Indy 128 for the 21st Century (2000-2010 or last 11 seasons).

NE has the great 18-0 season before losing and failed to make the playoffs with an 11-win team in 2007 when Matt Cassel was QB.

Pittsburg is 3rd in the NFL with 115 wins.

NE and Pitt have 6 SB appearances out of 10 possible with 5 rings. Indy has 1 appearance and 1 ring and is out of the running this year.

Indy has the worse playoff record of the 3.

The problem remains over the next 3 years: NE and Pitt have younger QBs and more complete teams. The Patriots youth movement is a challenge to Indy's which is as young a team but less talented. Pitt has one of the oldest teams and isn't likely to rebuild for another couple years.

The Jets and Ravens? In a good position to knock off Indy year after year.

On the plus side: the AFC South is in complete disarray. An average Indy team has a decent shot at the playoffs for the next 3 years as div champ.

I think they will give Manning his usual huge singing bonus and 5 or 6 years guaranteed and w/ the last couple years treated as back-loaded deferred income while Indy will be rebuilding and Manning mentoring his replacement.

M

Let's correct some facts:

New England has 229 regular season wins and Indy 228 for the 21st Century (2000-2010 or last 11 seasons).

NE has the great 18-0 season before losing and failed to make the playoffs with an 11-win team in 2007 when Matt Cassel was QB.

Pittsburg is 3rd in the NFL with 115 wins.

NE and Pitt have 6 SB appearances out of 10 possile with 5 rings. Indy has 1 appearance and 1 ring and is out of the running this year.

I am not sure which facts you are correcting, but Indy, of course, has two Super Bowl appearances, not one.

by Dan L:

I'm no prognosticator, but my gut tells me Green Bay wins the NFC- I thought that whoever won the game between them and the Eagles would win the division. For the AFC, 4 good teams, hard to say. I'd like to see the Ravens win it, but NE looks like they are peaking at the right time.

New England has beaten the other three teams that are left in the AFC. Although the Jets beat them early in the season, NE destroyed them just a couple of weeks ago. They also embarrassed Pittsburgh. The Ravens gave them the best game and match up with NE better than the other teams. If I were a betting man (and I AM) I'd guess it will be a Baltimore-New England AFC Title game. I would love to know the point spread on that contest!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm no prognosticator, but my gut tells me Green Bay wins the NFC- I thought that whoever won the game between them and the Eagles would win the division.

GB was a VERY fashionable pick to represent the NFC at the start of the season (the other two were Dal and Minn, ha ha).

I like the Pack a lot right now, but sometimes that bye team just comes out looking dominant. Atl is a funny team, though, not likely to blow people out. And plus I love the fact that GB suddenly has something like a running game again.

I'll take the Pack in a great game that I will miss for a very nice reason (big gig in the city).

I think the Bears will win, but I've seen the Bears too many times this year to consider it a given.

I'll be rooting Jets, picking Pats. I won't be shocked if the Jets win, but ultimately, I think the Jets are limited by their QB--they have a really weapon-rich, dangerous offense but the QB is not yet mature enough to fully exploit it. He either plays an extremely conservative game, or he makes big mistakes trying to make grown-up plays. But take note, NE. If it is close at the end, Sanchez has shown a knack. My guess is that it won't be a one-possession game for the Jets late, though.

I think Pittsburgh will probably beat the Ravens on the strength of Roethy alone, and I will find that unfortunate because I think Bal has a much better chance of toppling the Pats.

Thems my picks. GB, Chi, NE, Pitt. But I really don't see any of them as a sure thing.

I had one more comment on the Jets/Pats. I am not a Jets fan. Grew up a rabid Jet hater, in fact, as an NYG/NYY fan raised in the era of Namath and Seaver was likely to do.

But I gotts say, re: Rex Ryan, if all you are getting is the national feed, you are probably missing the point of this guy. He leads off his press conferences with his headline, his story-framing bit: "it's me against Beleichik, and it's personal." And everyone says oh there he goes again. But if you heard that whole press conference, the rhetoric is dispensed with quickly and he goes on to say a lot of interesting, substantive things, none of which are quoted afterwards.

The media blazes him 'cause the media never likes a guys who wants to frame the story and write the headlines. But, really, honestly, if you just listen to Rex, you'll hear within 30 second that everything is in good humor and in good spirit. He loves the game, the gamesmanship, the press, the hoopla, the attention in a completely un-malicious way. I think that's why ownership and the fan base are not alarmed by him--his spirit of play and showmanship is too apparent--well, that and the five playoff games (so far) in his first two seasons, which is pretty abnormal for the NYJ.

I've had the feeling that the Ravens are going to beat my Steelers. I realize the Ravens only got 6 days off and their Defense is a bit long in the tooth, but I thought they were firing on all cylinders when they eliminated the Chiefs. I do agree that the Ravens would provide a better game against the Patriots if they get past Pittsburgh. We'll see, this is the best weekend for Pro Football for the entire season and I'm ready!

Cheers,

Mike T.

I had one more comment on the Jets/Pats. I am not a Jets fan. Grew up a rabid Jet hater, in fact, as an NYG/NYY fan raised in the era of Namath and Seaver was likely to do.

See, I grew up a Jets fan. My Dad, a die hard Giants fan, got a lot of comped Jets tickets. We probably went to maybe 4, 5 Jets games a year. I dont know if my Dad secretly was rooting for the other teams in those games. But anyway, watching the Jets in 79, 80 gave me an appreciation for watching defense. It suddenly became much more entertaining to watch a guy like Joe Klecko manhandle a blocker or two, than watch most of what was happening on offense. Watching defense and keying on guys like Klecko and Gastineau became the best part of watching football for me.

Then the Giants drafted LT. My Dad said just watch this 56, and I did just that. Been blue ever since.

Anyways, I still root for the Jets, unless they play the Giants of course. I think they have a shot, albeit a small one. But geez, Brady is off the charts. Revis can shut down Branch, maybe they cover Welker, but then you have the TE trio and Woodhead. Somewhere theres always going to be a mismatch, and Brady just finds it and throws strikes. So the Jets need to score some points. They need to be able to run the ball, consistently. Convert third downs, consistently. Sanchez of course has to play well Nothing over the last 10 weeks or so, leads me to believe this can happen. But thats why they play the games, right?

Because this is the playoffs, maybe the Jets can keep it closer than the last game with NE. There's nowhere for the Jets to go but up. :/ The Pats have too many weapons to throw at the Jets; someone is going to be open. Unless the Jets have Brady kidnapped before the game, the Jets have NO chance. :wave:

Edit: Just in case the Steelers manage to beat the Ravens this weekend and advance to the AFC Championship game, The Steelers have NO chance either. :sick:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived