Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 0-2 yesterday and 2-0 today. I assume many of us were.

Rodgers is my favorite young QB going. In fact, age considered, I am not sure who I'd take ahead of him right now.

And how about this cat Starks? From Buffalo St., no less. The beauty of it is how fresh he is, clearly.

Akers was a bit of a goat, as would have been Jones for dropping that breathtakingly perfect would-be TD pass at the end of the half.

GB is poised to do some damage, but, you know, sometimes, not always, the rested bye teams just come out looking bigger, stronger and more life-like in the divisional round, even if the Falcons are not as top-to-bottom talented and dangerous as GB.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I completely forgot to put my picks in, so I was 0-4.

However, I can say with confidence that I would have nailed the Seahawks game, because I always take double-digit home dogs in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't have expected the outcome, but I figured it'd be competitive.

See...for reasons that escape me, I've watched several Seahawks games this year, and they were just awful...just really a bottom dweller-type team. Only their formidable homecourt advantage enabled them to even reach 7-9, in my opinion, so I reluctantly took the Saints and gave the points. I guess you would have had to have been really attuned to NO's defensive woes to have seen this coming.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I took Seattle for two reasons. One was that 10+ points is a lot on the road, especially in a place that takes pride in it's "12th man"...but that wasn't the main reason. The main reason was that Seattle was totally stoked just to be in the playoffs, and had nothing to lose. I've seen that be a major factor way too many times (e.g. the Flyers last year).

I didn't expect them to win - just to keep it close. The win just made it more fun.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I was listening to ESPN radio before the games started today. They had Tom Jackson on to review the Saints/Seahawks game. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like the Saints couldn't tackle, did a poor job of blocking, and just couldn't stop Seattle. The Saints were not getting the turnovers this year, and they had a lot of players hurt. Even when one or two key players are not on the field, it can change the chemistry of a team. The Saints didn't have it this season.

The Ravens looked tough today, they are firing on all cylinders. I'm sure the Steelers were hoping for Kansas City to win. Who wants to play the Ravens again? Even if the Steelers are able to win, the Ravens will beat them up. These teams really don't like each other. Expect a couple of fights during next week's game.

The Ravens match up with the Patriots better than any other team in the AFC.

I suppose it really doesn't matter though, no one is beating New England at home.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

When the Seahawks win the Super Bowl it'll prove once and for all that the NFC West is the toughest division in the NFL. Hence the poor records among all it's teams. No one gets a week off. It's like 4 all-star teams in the same division. Playing each other is so physically, mentally, and emotionally draining, of course they're going to take the other weeks off out of respect for their division rivals. That way you never get less than their best.

...and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Come on Packers!

Congrats Geoff!!!

Congrats Pack & Geoff. :thu:

Yep. GB played great. :thu:

Rodgers is my favorite young QB going. In fact, age considered, I am not sure who I'd take ahead of him right now.

Thanks, guys! :thu:

First, my condolences to dB and meccajay. If David Akers had had a better game tonight, I would be congratulating you now.

It's hard to blame Akers for the missed long attempt against the wind; but his second miss for shorter yardage, with the wind at his back, is hard to fathom.

Other than that, I don't think the Eagles played so badly tonight. Despite the Packers' continuous lead, the Eagles gave hot pursuit; and the ending was a nail biter.

Green Bay's next game against the Falcons on their home turf concerns me. Atlanta turned the Packers into a one-dimensional offense in their narrow loss there earlier this season. (Matt Bryant kicked a 47-yard field goal with 9 seconds left to give the Falcons a 20-17 victory.) For Green Bay to prevail next week, James Starks is going to have to step up like he did today--or at least close to that level.

But for now, I just going to savor the win; and save the worry for later in the week. :cool:

http://www.geoffgrace.com/Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Rex Ryan tells it like it is. :idea:

"I was outcoached in that game. I said that then, I'm saying it now," Ryan said. "Belichick, I recognize the fact this is a Hall of Fame coach and he'll go down in history as maybe the greatest football coach in the history of the game or close to it, all right?"

LINK

If division winners don't make the playoffs, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of divisions to begin with. I don't think there's any need to mess the playoff system. A team like the Seahawks making the playoffs is, as they say, the exception that proves the rule.
:idea:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Welcome to the Monday Afternoon Wild Card edition of the Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback!

Well, what a freakin weekend of football! With three out of the four games being exciting as hell, its a nice reminder of why we watch this sport all season long. Despite it being the weekend before NAMM, I was able to wrangle my schedule so that I could actually watch the majority of all four games, and was happy I did so. First, lets take a look at our ongoing Pick Em Pool.

None of us picked all four game correctly, but how could we have? Only dB got his wise pick in for Seattle to get within 10.5 points of the defending Super Bowl Champion Saints. Even he couldnt have predicted an outright win, Im sure. But a couple of us -- Mid Life Crisis and myself -- went three for four, and picked up three points. In the 2-point area, kanker, antimatter, Geoff Grace, dB, Magpel, and richwhite9 all did well. At least saku and ProfD ended up with a single point; GovernorSilver and griffinator didnt bother putting in picks.

For the 12 regular players, that leaves us as follows:

ProfD (136)

kanker (134)

antimatter (133)

Geoff Grace (133)

Mid Life Crisis (125)

jeffk_nfl2010 (123)

richwhite9 (123)

dB (121)

griffinator (117)

Magpel (115)

saku (114)

GovernorSilver (111)

Still three more rounds of playoffs to go! The top four players are still close enough that anything could still happen for them.

Wild Card Musings

NFC: With both games being won by supposed underdogs, I dont think anyone will debate the more surprising one. Seattles victory over New Orleans is historical in nature. While everyone will remember Marshawn Lynchs spectacular GET OFF ME run, the entire game was played very, very well by the Seahawks. Matt Hasselbeck played phenomenally, and Seattles defense was outstanding. A well-deserved congratulations to that team, and their fans. Er, fan.

While I didnt pick the Seahawks to win, I did choose the Packers to beat the Eagles. While I admire both teams, I mentioned last week that the Eagles seemed to be stumbling to the finish, while the Packers played their hardest all year. The Football Gods seem to favor the effort. And while Mike Vick was amazing, his entire support structure from the O-Line through his receivers played lackadaisically at best. Now theyre playing golf, or video games, or something other than football.

Next weekend, while Im slaving away at NAMM, you lucky bastards will likely see some outstanding NFC games. Green Bay heads to Atlanta on Saturday, while Seattle plays Chicago at Soldier Field. I dont think either of these games are a lock for the top seeds, and while common sense tells me that theres no way Seattle keeps rolling in the playoffs, they did beat the Bears on the road in week 6. You never know.

AFC: Kansas City had no business being in the playoffs, and it showed. Baltimore ate them alive... the word hapless came to mind at several points. I can name several AFC teams (cough-Raiders-cough) who would have fared much better. Theres a toughness lacking in KCs team that theyll need to address to go up against teams like the Ravens.

However, the Jets/Colts game was terrific. Manning played like a champion, and all in all, his team could have won that game. I hate to blame everything on any one circumstance of a game, but seriously: Jim Caldwell gets an F in time management, and that final time out is one of the most inexplicable coaching calls in recent memory. I dont think theres any way to defend that decision.

Once again, next weekend should be a treat (and one Ill have to miss). You have Saturdays AFC matchup of Baltimore at Pittsburgh, and Sundays game with the Jets going to New England. Being a medium-strength hater of the Pats, Id love to see the J-E-T-S shock the world by eliminating New England, but... cmon, you think Im putting money on that?

Since Im leaving NAMM early on Sunday, hopefully Ill be back in time to catch that game. In any case, get your picks in, and may your favorite remaining team win!

Right now, 8 Saints are wondering why they couldn't tackle Marshawn Lynch. What a highlight.

I watched it about 175 times last night.

GET OFF ME!!! :D

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpwRSiUbic

That's one of the most amazing runs I've ever seen.

(slow realization sets in)

You're not going to NAMM

Sure I am. Wave Distribution, booth 6324. :thu:

I was grinning at the idea of "slaving away at NAMM". Talking to people all day...you poor thing... :eek:;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived