Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But then Carroll went on to coach UCLA and turned them into the most dominant team in college football in the 2000s, so go figure.
All it takes is some under the table $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

But then Carroll went on to coach UCLA and turned them into the most dominant team in college football in the 2000s, so go figure.
All it takes is some under the table $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....

Carroll was guilty of what amounted to basically paperwork violations. A few "improper gifts," while illegal in the eyes of the NCAA, certainly had no effect on Carroll's coaching nor his players' performance. That's like saying that Brett Favre would have had a better season if the Vikings had paid him more.

There was the question of Reggie Bush's eligibility and several other recruits while at USC. That's Carroll's biggest charge; looking the other way while agents were plying his recruits with dollars before and after coming to USC.

Kentucky basketball faced several similar charges recently. It's all around high profile programs. Agents and money.

The only thing that may save UConn basketball from similar sanctions is that the tainted player in question never played a game. The player had the good taste to get booked on sexual assault charges and violating the subsequent restraining order during his first couple weeks on campus.

So, the new overtime rules now go into effect for the playoffs, right? :idea:

As I understand it, if the team that gets the ball first (Team A) scores a TD, they win...but if they score a FG, the other team (Team B) gets a shot...and if Team B then turns the ball over on downs, the game is over, if they score a TD, the game is over...but if they score a FG to tie, the game goes on.

Sounds like fun.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

So, the new overtime rules now go into effect for the playoffs, right? :idea:

As I understand it, if the team that gets the ball first (Team A) scores a TD, they win...but if they score a FG, the other team (Team B) gets a shot...and if Team B then turns the ball over on downs, the game is over, if they score a TD, the game is over...but if they score a FG to tie, the game goes on.

Sounds like fun.

Thank god they changed that. I always hated the NFL's overtime rules. Nothing worse than seeing an overtime game end on a field goal, in my opinion. Things should be a little more interesting and balanced now. It's sort of a hybrid of the old NFL rules and college OT rules. I like it.

Seattle enjoys a nice homefield advantage, it is true (5-3 this year) but they are what we experts call a "bad team."

:D :D :D

I like the Seahawks. They have great fans at Qwest (it's a fun place to see a game), and their "12th man" advantage is formidable. That having been said, they're just not very good this year. Some would even call them "bad", and they'd be right. ;)

By the way... they played the Saints in November and lost 31-19. Oakland beat them 33-3. The Giants beat them 41-7. They're ranked #31 in running yards this season. I don't think I need to qualify the word "bad" any more than this. :D

Personally, I think the new overtime rules suck. These guys are pros. If you're on defense, do your damn job and stop the opposing offense

True to an extent, but if you're looking for manly man defense, let them stop teams in the red zone rather than only allowing them to get in Vinatieri range and lose on a FG.

Personally, I think the new overtime rules suck. These guys are pros. If you're on defense, do your damn job and stop the opposing offense

True to an extent, but if you're looking for manly man defense, let them stop teams in the red zone rather than only allowing them to get in Vinatieri range and lose on a FG.

+1. The new rule gives both sides of both teams the opportunity to step up, and somewhat mitigates the advantage of the overtime coin toss.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Considering the chances of winning the game if you win the coin toss is about 52%, this is a stupid rule change IMO that amateurizes the game.

I disagree. If the first team scores a TD, it's over anyway.

I'm sick to death of teams kicking a FG as soon as they're in comfortable FG range in OT. It's lame. Man up and ram it down their throats! Then the game is over, period.

by Griffinator:

Congrats to Kevin and his Colts for proving me wrong and getting it together just enough to win the division as the Jags fell apart at the end of the season.

Do they get past the Jets? Probably, although Rex's crew is going to beat them up good before they let them loose.

Do they get past the Steelers? Well, that depends on which Steelers team shows up - the one that got crushed by the Pats or the one that just crushed the Brownies.

I don't have any faith in the Steelers, and as a life long Steelers fan, I still say they stink. They're getting old, they haven't beaten any team that is any good, except maybe the Ravens. Sure, the Steelers beat Atlanta in the first game of the season, but that doesn't mean anything. So Scott, in summary, the same Steelers team will show up. "Maybe" the Steelers can steal a win at home in the Divisional round, but I won't bet on it. I wonder how many points they will give the Steelers if they have to go to New England for the AFC Championship.

I think there's a good chance they won't make it past the Divisional round.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Personally, I think the new overtime rules suck. These guys are pros. If you're on defense, do your damn job and stop the opposing offense. It happens about half the time.....

The new rules don't diminish the importance of defense IMO. In fact, I think defense is even more important now. It makes both teams equally accountable. Whereas under the old system you could kick a field goal and walk off the field, now if you kick a field goal, your defense has go out and stop the other team. And you still have the sudden death aspect by automatically winning on a touchdown. I think the change injects a higher requirement of effort and gameplan from teams on both sides of the ball into the overtime scenario, compared to the old mentality of "let's just get to field goal range and kick it."

They could have just eliminated field goals.

Personally, I don't know what I think of the playoff OT rules. And what do they call them, "sorta sudden death"? "Sudden death if"?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So a field goal can win it walking off the field in regulation, but not in overtime? The Colts made it into the playoffs on a last second field goal that broke a 20-20 tie. Say they don't get that opportunity, but 5 seconds into overtime after a good runback they do. Alternately, they stop the Titans in overtime and kick a game winner. What's the damn difference? Nothing except that someone bitched about being beaten by a field goal in the playoffs. Either it's a valid way to win, or it isn't. If it isn't, get rid of field goals. If it is, play real sudden death OT. Either it's a full part of the game or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

The new rule is stupid. It's a high school rule. A 7-9 team has a home game in the playoffs, and overtime is wussified because the way it was "just ain't fair."

Grow a pair Goodell. Sudden death OT made the NFL...

So a field goal can win it walking off the field in regulation, but not in overtime? The Colts made it into the playoffs on a last second field goal that broke a 20-20 tie. Say they don't get that opportunity, but 5 seconds into overtime after a good runback they do. Alternately, they stop the Titans in overtime and kick a game winner. What's the damn difference? Nothing except that someone bitched about being beaten by a field goal in the playoffs. Either it's a valid way to win, or it isn't. If it isn't, get rid of field goals. If it is, play real sudden death OT. Either it's a full part of the game or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

The new rule is stupid. It's a high school rule. A 7-9 team has a home game in the playoffs, and overtime is wussified because the way it was "just ain't fair."

Grow a pair Goodell. Sudden death OT made the NFL...

I thought the old OT rules were stupid. True sudden-death OT in a game like football, where there's more than one way to score, makes no sense to me, just like it wouldn't make sense for a game like baseball. I don't see how changing the rules slightly "wussifies" overtime at all. Anything that helps to ensure that the best team wins the game is a good thing in my opinion.

Field goals in OT are still meaningful, and you can still win games with them. All that's changed is that somewhere along the line your defense has to make a stop in order to win on one. If you want to win the game instantly, score a touchdown. That's the opposite of "wussified" if you ask me. If anything, they "machofied" OT.

Then why aren't you an advocate for timed overtime? Whoever has the most points at the end of the period wins, period.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am curious of what the Raider fans think of Cable being let go. I thought it was a strange move considering the team appeared to be making progress and were just a few key players (QB) away from contending.

Me too. Typical Al Davis idiocy? Something else?

Holy cow. I guess certain teams just don't want to win. Was it the Panthers where Fox NFL Sunday was talking about how they were more interested in cost-cutting than building a winning team? Whoever it was, they haven't signed a free agent in years, are looking for a cheap, inexperienced guy to be head coach, etc.

There's a debate going on about that in College Ball too.

UConn went to it's first BCS game. That was the good news.

The bad news: UConn was stuck with $2 mil in unsold tickets, the best players are leaving early for the NFL draft, Maryland poached the Head Coach with 3 Assistants, other teams are picking at the carcass-- Miami took the RB coach, etc.

We can't afford to win the Big East again :)

Kevin:

I do believe there has to be a different set of rules for regulation, which is the team with the most points after 4 15 minute periods wins, compared to establishing a winner after they've already played 4 quarters and they want the game to win ASAP (to avoid injuries). I always hated the OT rule when the first team to kick a FG wins. The new rule allows the first team to score a field goal (or TD) but gives their opponent a chance to score a TD to end the game.

The OLD rule sucked, the new rule is an improvement (no, its not perfect) but it allows both teams to get the ball.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived