Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

if we made the right pick for those two games, then the three of us will enter tonight's final contest in a three-way tie for first!

Congrats to ProfD who made the right picks in those two games and clinched the win in the Pick'em Pool. Well done! :thu:

All that's up for grabs now are the runner up places with Kevin making a good run. In fact, Kevin, antimatter, and I are tied for second place entering tonight's final contest of the season.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I made the call, and I gotta own it.

Congrats to Kevin and his Colts for proving me wrong and getting it together just enough to win the division as the Jags fell apart at the end of the season.

Do they get past the Jets? Probably, although Rex's crew is going to beat them up good before they let them loose.

Do they get past the Steelers? Well, that depends on which Steelers team shows up - the one that got crushed by the Pats or the one that just crushed the Brownies.

Congrats Geoff on the Pack win. I was really impressed that the Bears made a game of it. It's going to be a very interesting off season for the Giants, and their fans.

I loved seeing Belichick after the Pats demoralized the Miami. Unwrankled, no emotion, ho-hum, he's proud of his team, etc. I really hope he does some sort of tell all book when he's done coaching. They're a scary team. Not beating teams, humiliating teams.

I loved seeing Belichick after the Pats demoralized the Miami. Unwrankled, no emotion, ho-hum, he's proud of his team, etc. I really hope he does some sort of tell all book when he's done coaching. They're a scary team. Not beating teams, humiliating teams.

Well, there is a distinct possibility that one of the only two teams to beat the Pats this season will be their first opponent in the playoffs. Either that, or Pats West. Kind of a pick-your-poison situation...

Pats and Steeler ar epalying good ball. No one else in the ACC can make that claim.

And Jacksonville is unexplainable to me. As complete a collapse as any. Move them to the NFC West...

Many coaching firings coming. Has to be. Some simply awful football this year from some early contenders.

Make sure you cover the Seahawks, who are poised to shock the world by winning the NFC West

Nice win. Whitehurst looked great, actually, as did Seattle's D.

, then running the table to a Super Bowl victory.

:idea::D:poke:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Congratulations to steadyb and the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) for being one of the worst teams I've ever seen that somehow ended up in the playoffs. :D

Teams with better records than Seattle who aren't in the playoffs:

NYG (10-6)

TB (10-6)

SD (9-7)

JAX (8-8)

OAK (8-8)

Congratulations to steadyb and the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) for being one of the worst teams I've ever seen that somehow ended up in the playoffs. :D

Teams with better records than Seattle who aren't in the playoffs:

NYG (10-6)

TB (10-6)

SD (9-7)

JAX (8-8)

OAK (8-8)

What a disgrace! What a pathetic insult to sportsmanship! The NFL actually looks worse than the BCS this season.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

This is the price we pay for having divisions, but I still think it's worth it:

If the playoffs started today the 5-6 Rams would be in the playoffs while the 7-4 Bucs and Packers wouldn't.
Im telling you, people are going to revolt when the 7-9 Rams end up with a playoff berth.

As a Packers fan, I'd be seriously bummed if this happened; but I wouldn't call for a change in the system. If division winners don't make the playoffs, then divisions become meaningless.

Division rivals would become rivals for what, then? Bragging rights?

If you eliminate divisions, then you might as well eliminate conferences and play the Super Bowl between the two teams with the best regular season records. Or if regular season records are of paramount importance, then why not simply crown the team with the best record the champions and be done with it altogether? What we'd be left with either way is a sea of teams with no real rivalries and an anticlimactic finish.

That said, my sympathies go out to the players and fans of better teams that didn't make the playoffs. They're the ones who pay the biggest price each year that less qualified division champs get into the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

Congratulations to steadyb and the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) for being one of the worst teams I've ever seen that somehow ended up in the playoffs

What a disgrace! What a pathetic insult to sportsmanship!

C'mon Dan, go easy on Jeff. He's just mad that the Seahawks came in 1st place and the Raiders will be watching on TV.

Congrats Geoff on the Pack win. I was really impressed that the Bears made a game of it.

Thanks, antimatter. Well, despite the prolific abilities of Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are still fielding a second string running game; and teams with a good run defense are making them pay.

Best,

Geoff

if we made the right pick for those two games, then the three of us will enter tonight's final contest in a three-way tie for first!

Congrats to ProfD who made the right picks in those two games and clinched the win in the Pick'em Pool. Well done! :thu:

All that's up for grabs now are the runner up places with Kevin making a good run. In fact, Kevin, antimatter, and I are tied for second place entering tonight's final contest of the season.

And now, congrats to Kevin for leapfrogging his way from fourth place this week into a second place finish. (antimatter and I wound up tied for third.)

Congrats again, ProfD! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

And now, congrats to Kevin for leapfrogging his way from fourth place this week into a second place finish. (antimatter and I wound up tied for third.)

Best,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I had no clue what was happening in the pickem until a few minutes ago - doing a little straightening up around the house during the early games, went to the Colts game, then had company after the game. Just getting some computer time now....

Anyway, ProfD is the man. Big props to our pickem winner.

BTW Griff, a few weeks ago, your prediction looked like a sure thing except you forgot one thing - the Jags implode better than any team on the planet. Del Rio is too much of a hot head to lead a team through the fire of a real fight to get to the playoffs.

That said, the Colts and Titans looked like they were both trying their hardest to NOT win the game....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Well, there is a distinct possibility that one of the only two teams to beat the Pats this season will be their first opponent in the playoffs. Either that, or Pats West. Kind of a pick-your-poison situation...

I Keep thinking the Chiefs aren't very good, can't be all that, and then I remember I really haven't seen them. They've gotten precious little national play this year as everyone waited on the Chargers' late run.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Best,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I had no clue what was happening in the pickem until a few minutes ago - doing a little straightening up around the house during the early games, went to the Colts game, then had company after the game. Just getting some computer time now....

Anyway, ProfD is the man. Big props to our pickem winner.

Congrats to ProfD for the regular season win!

However, the pool is setup for the playoffs too. I assume they just tack on to the regular season.

The final week of the regular season was more meaningful and exciting than many years I can recall. Lets talk about what happened here in this Monday edition of the Tuesday Morning (Keyboard) Cornerback!

Like many of you, I assumed that our Pick Em Pool would wrap up after Week 17, but no! The fun continues this year through the playoffs. I couldnt be happier, since we usually have to find some half-assed way to tack the playoffs on for picking purposes after the season ends. Not this year! And since we have such a close race for the top going, it could get interesting by the time the Super Bowl® rolls around.

In week 17, kanker led the pack with 11 points. Congrats on taking Seattle (which I did as well... theyre still a strong home team), which helped seal the victory. In sole possession of second this week, griffinator had a strong 9 points, while five of us grabbed 8 points -- Mid Life Crisis, saku, antimatter, ProfD, and me. Geoff Grace had 6 points, and dB and richwhite9 each had 5. But in a sad close to the regular season, neither GovernorSilver nor Magpel got picks in, and got the goose egg in return.

Where does that leave us? If the Pick Em Pool ended now, our champ would have been ProfD. But were moving into the playoffs, so anything could still happen in a tight race!

ProfD (135)

kanker (132)

antimatter (131)

Geoff Grace (131)

Mid Life Crisis (122)

richwhite9 (121)

jeffk_nfl2010 (120)

dB (119)

griffinator (117)

saku (113)

Magpel (113)

GovernorSilver (111)

Divisional Musings

NFC East: Philadelphia (10-6) has ended their red hot season with two losses, and they were not meaningless losses... they had a chance at a #1 seed and a bye week. Now theyll face a very strong Packers team in the wild card round, with no guarantee of moving beyond them. Id also like to take this moment to say that the Giants not making the playoffs with a 10-6 record is really too bad, but thats our playoff system and unless they change the rules, they wont be the last superior team to get shut out of the big dance.

NFC North: The Bears (11-5) do indeed get the first round off, being the #2 seed in the NFC. Green Bay (10-6) earned a well-deserved wild card slot, and will face the Eagles as referenced above. Im predicting a great game, no matter who wins.

NFC South: Before the season, I probably wouldnt have picked the Falcons (13-3) as the best team in the NFC, but numbers dont lie. They get the bye week and homefield throughout the playoffs. Dont overlook the defending champs, the Saints (11-5), whove come on strong lately. They will be destroying the Seahawks- er, will be playing the Seahawks in New Orleans. More on this in a moment.

NFC West: Well, NFL history has been made, in the worst of ways. As I predicted weeks and weeks ago, this division is so horrible that the unimaginable has actually happened: the Seahawks (7-9) are a playoff team with a losing record. They tied the equally mediocre Rams in the final game of the year, but are playoff-bound based on best win percentage in division games. As people have pointed out, this is the system we have, and as long as youre going to base the playoffs on division champs, this is bound to happen form time to time. But in the NFC alone, the Giants and Bucs had way better records and will be playing golf this weekend instead of football. Cest la vie.

AFC East: Im trying hard to imagine a scenario where the Pats (14-2) lose against any of their playoff opponents. Im not seeing it. Well wait until the divisional round to find out. Their division mates and wild card team the Jets (11-5) will not have a cakewalk against suddenly tougher and healthier Indianapolis (10-6). In fact, the Colts are current favored by a field goal. Looking forward to this game.

AFC North: The Steelers (12-4) get to rest for a week in the #2 seed, but the Ravens (also 12-4) have sort of quietly won 4 straight and look poised to beat the crap out of the Chiefs this weekend. Keep in mind that if it werent for Pittsburghs best win percentage in division games, the Ravens would have the week off.

AFC South: It came down to the final week, but the Colts (10-6) pulled themselves together and took the AFC South (and the #3 seed). Jacksonville, as strong as they seemed early on, hit a wall and lost their final three games. The Colts will be facing the Jets.

AFC West: I dont hate the Chiefs (10-6)... they inspire the least hatred as a Raiders fanboy compared to my thoughts on the Broncos and Chargers. However, I was doing backflips when the Raiders made their own odd history by beating them in week 17, making Oakland the first team since the merger to go undefeated in the division and not make the playoffs. I dont see the Chiefs holding up in the wild card round against the Ravens. Well find out soon enough.

Finally, when I predicted last week that two or three more coaches would lose their gigs by the start of next year, I really didnt think one of them would be so immediate. Mangini may end up being a great coach someday, but it wont be today, and it wont be with the Browns. In any case, it's time to enjoy some playoff football! Yeah! May the best team(s) win.

As I predicted weeks and weeks ago, this division is so horrible that the unimaginable has actually happened: the Seahawks (7-9) are a playoff team with a losing record.

Or maybe this division is so tough, a 7-9 record is the best you can hope for playing vs. such awesome division competition.

1st place baby!!! See you in Seattle next Saturday. (Do they get NBC in Raiderville?)

I still shiver when I see Pete Carroll on the sidelines

After the Jets fired Pete Carroll and replaced him with Bill Parcells, Bob Kraft then hired Pete Carroll to prove to Parcells that Kraft could make a winner out of anyone, even Pete Carroll, and that Parcells was in fact nothing but a product of the Patriot system

Of course Carroll then took his 6-10 last place in the AFC East credentials from the Jets to the Patriots and within 3 years coached Pacell's Super Bowl Patriots team to last place in the AFC East.

Only in the NFL (or NBA) is this normal behavior from business owners like Kraft.

Dont overlook the defending champs, the Saints (11-5), whove come on strong lately. They will be destroying the Seahawks- er, will be playing the Seahawks in New Orleans.

If only it were in New Orleans. Nope, division champions get homefield advantage against wild card teams regardless of record. And Seattle is one of the best homefield advantages in the league--not that I think it will be enough for the Seahawks to prevail against the defending champs, but still...

As much as I've defended letting division winners into the playoffs regardless of record, this is one rule I'd like to change. Homefield advantage should be given to the team with the better record, regardless of whether it's a division winner or a wild card team.

Best,

Geoff

I still shiver when I see Pete Carroll on the sidelines

After the Jets fired Pete Carroll and replaced him with Bill Parcells, Bob Kraft then hired Pete Carroll to prove to Parcells that Kraft could make a winner out of anyone, even Pete Carroll, and that Parcells was in fact nothing but a product of the Patriot system

Of course Carroll then took his 6-10 last place in the AFC East credentials from the Jets to the Patriots and within 3 years coached Pacell's Super Bowl Patriots team to last place in the AFC East.

Only in the NFL (or NBA) is this normal behavior from business owners like Kraft.

But then Carroll went on to coach UCLA and turned them into the most dominant team in college football in the 2000s, so go figure.

Dont overlook the defending champs, the Saints (11-5), whove come on strong lately. They will be destroying the Seahawks- er, will be playing the Seahawks in New Orleans.

If only it were in New Orleans.

You are right. I'd actually meant to write "in Seattle" but then my brain tried to use common sense and give home field advantage to the better team. :D

Archived