Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Even a healthy Favre is just above average. He's never been one of the outstanding QBs in my opinion. He's just a pretty good quarterback who has been able to set career records mostly because he's played for so damn long. Give Peyton another 7 full seasons and Brady another 9, and both would annihilate Favre in every category.

Favre was the league MVP for three straight seasons. He broke Elway's and Marino's records in a similar timespan that it took them to set those records. Manning and Brady may or may not eventually break Favre's records, but they're not on track to annihilate them.

Favre isn't a "just above average" quarterback, not unless you're talking about 41-year-old Favre.

I should have clarified that I still consider him a first-ballot hall-of-famer. "Just" above average was probably a poor choice of phrasing on my part.

But yeah, Peyton and Brady are both on easily pace to eclipse most or all of his records. That's assuming, of course (especially in Brady's case), that they end up playing 20 full seasons in their careers like Favre has, which may or may not happen.

At his current pace, Peyton will have more passing yards and TDs than Favre currently has in around 4 more seasons. If he plays a full 20 seasons like Favre, he absolutely crushes every record. I'll grant that Brady probably won't make it that long, barring some miracle anti-aging invention, but certainly his per-season averages are much better than Favre's in pretty much every category.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly every top 10 list of post-merger QBs on the internet has Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, Favre, Young, and Montana on the list. Many have Bradwhaw, Tarkenton, and Staubach edging out Aikman, Warner, McNabb, Moon, Stabler, etc

I've never seen Favre listed as best of all time but Brady is in the position to push that case. A ring this year along with the undefeated until the SB season of 2007 puts him in any conversation on the subject.

Nearly every top 10 list of post-merger QBs on the internet has Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, Favre, Young, and Montana on the list. Many have Bradwhaw, Tarkenton, and Staubach edging out Aikman, Warner, McNabb, Moon, Stabler, etc

I've never seen Favre listed as best of all time but Brady is in the position to push that case. A ring this year along with the undefeated until the SB season of 2007 puts him in any conversation on the subject.

Particularly when one considers that the 18-1 season pretty much was entirely the effort of the passing game, because their defense was terrible and their running game was a laugh riot of injury substitutions.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think you can win a championship without at least a very good quarterback at the helm. But John Elway was a better quarterback when his team lost those Super Bowls than he was when they won. It takes a great team to win a championship.

Best,

Geoff

I'd agree with you on that point Geoff. Doug Williams was certainly the better QB for a game when the Skins beat the Broncos, but I'd have to give Elway the edge on his season in a big way.

All said, that 2nd Q was an amazing 15 minutes of football history for the Redskins and Williams. In Super Bowl history, I doubt that any team has ever played a better quarter.

Yeah, the Broncos were favored because of the season Elway had. And Elway showed what he was capable of straight out of the gate when he threw a 56-yard touchdown pass on Denver's first play from scrimmage.

But Doug Williams was the MVP of the game, and the Redskins were the better team. Considerably better.

Especially during the second quarter.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'd bet you even Brett Favre doesn't know exactly why he's still playing.

Look at it another way. In threads where we've talked about why you play music, kanker's response is along the lines of "was there any other choice?" I tend to feel bad for those who get to do what they love, but then have to stop because they're physically unable to continue. Generally as musicians, that's not a problem for us so we're lucky in that regard.

I think in the long term, these few years of post-Packer-play will be largely ignored. I could be wrong about that, but my impression is that most guys who hung around too long don't have that hanging over them, so this won't be an exception. I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think in the long term, these few years of post-Packer-play will be largely ignored. I could be wrong about that, but my impression is that most guys who hung around too long don't have that hanging over them, so this won't be an exception. I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

I don't see any indication that Joe Montana was viewed negatively for his efforts with the Chiefs, so...

It doesn't stop The Stones. And God knows, somethng should. Brett er.. Bart Starr retired in 1972 while they were touring the 2010 release 'Exiles on Main Street'.

Doug Flutie handled it gracefully by knowing he was there to train younger guys and in case of emergency.

Ali boxed until he was pummeled into the ground. That seems to be the dividing line. Chase the dream but don't die with your boots on and make everyone feel sorry. Brett risks that next year unless he comes off the bench in an 18 game season.

The Metrodome spoke: it doesn't want to see him again. Then there's the BRT -- Brett and Bart thing and the Exiles release in 1972 and 2010. It's an omen.

I believe when (if) Brett ever retires, within a few years after, Green Bay will forigive him. They'll retire his number, have a Brett favre day, he'll cry, the fans will cheer, the rest of us will :rolleyes:. First ballot hall of famer for sure. Somewhere in or near the top 10 QBs. Maybe 15 is an easier number.

Brett's theatrics came into play when he couldn't decide if he wanted to continue playing. When he kept dragging his feet, GB decided they had to move on. Business people are not going to kiss someone's butt to get them to do their job. Brett felt disrespected, but he was wrong. I sure hope this is his last go around. He's 41 years old, its time to hang up the cleats. Yes, he can still throw the ball. But Father Time always wins. Enough already. :cry:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Doug Flutie handled it gracefully by knowing he was there to train younger guys and in case of emergency.

Which, honestly, would have been the most graceful exit for Favre. Be there in Green Bay as a mentor and backup for Rodgers for a couple of years, and then retire with the world loving you. But while we all laud Brett's accomplishments, does anyone really think his ego would have allowed him to be a backup QB anywhere?

And yes, the Packers will eventually ceremonially sign him for one day so he can retire there and so on and so forth. He'll probably want to start on that day, though. :D

But while we all laud Brett's accomplishments, does anyone really think his ego would have allowed him to be a backup QB anywhere?

I know I wouldn't have done that if I were Brett, especially if I knew I could still throw the ball at his level. Favre at that time, while old by football standards, was still one of the league's top QBs. It's easy to be us, and be able to say, in retrospect, "he should have done this or that." Any of us may or may not have done anything differently in his shoes. To quote Born on the Fourth of July, "you weren't there, man!"

Wow, apparently the Chargers are going to town on the 'Niners and Vincent Jackson has three TDs.

Chiefs might need to win out to take this division--not unthinkable: Rams on the road, Titan and Raiders at home.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Too bad SD couldn't send the 2010 Chargers to play in the 1995 Superbowl. ;)

The game was competitive until Justin Smith was ejected for pushing a ref. Until that point, the SF defensive line was wrecking havoc on the Charger OL, and the SF O-line was opening holes for RBs, particularly their power back. After the ejection the momentum switched to the Chargers' side for good.

The announcers kept complaining about Vernon Davis not being used. Hard to throw to him when your QB is under pressure on almost every pass play.

The special teams unit was missing a veteran player, and it was apparently enough to show several near-breakdowns. A Ginn return TD was called back by a yellow flag. VJ had a monster night. Tolbert sure loses his helmet a lot.

If the Chargers can win two more (Cincy and Denver both on the road), they just need the Chiefs to lose one game to win the AFCW again. I could see the Raiders taking out the Chiefs.

The problem is, which Chargers are going to show up any given night?

Cincy is a dangerous opponent if you go to sleep on them, and so is Denver, particularly now with an interim coach...

Both games are on the road, in stadiums exposed to the elements. Palmer usually plays well against the Chargers. Neither game is a gimme for the Bolts.

The Chiefs though have the tougher remaining schedule, imo. The Rams and Raiders have been more competitive than years past and the Titans are still a dangerous team.

Cincy is a dangerous opponent if you go to sleep on them, and so is Denver, particularly now with an interim coach...

Both games are on the road, in stadiums exposed to the elements. Palmer usually plays well against the Chargers. Neither game is a gimme for the Bolts.

The Chiefs though have the tougher remaining schedule, imo. The Rams and Raiders have been more competitive than years past and the Titans are still a dangerous team.

Ehhhh the Titans couldn't stop Human Bowling Ball MJD, I doubt they'll be able to do much but whimper when the KC running game tramples them.

Raiders I could see going either way. Rams, again, not so much.

The Redskins will start the 2011 preseason this Sunday in Dallas.

McNabb has been benched. Grossman to start.

With Minny and Dallas (a popular prediction for NFC title game) having SUCH ugly seasons, and with an unprecedented three ugly midseason coaching changes, Washington's ugly season has been unfairly overlooked...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

yahoo says the redskin players are not happy about the decision...a real circus over there: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/McNabb-benched-for-Grossman-Redskins-players-fu?urn=nfl-297400

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Ehhhh the Titans couldn't stop Human Bowling Ball MJD, I doubt they'll be able to do much but whimper when the KC running game tramples them.

Raiders I could see going either way. Rams, again, not so much.

I guess we'll see this weekend. I failed to get my pick in for the Chargers-Niners game but got my picks in for KC-StL and the rest. The Rams are another Jekyll & Hyde team, but have a winning record at home. Sam Bradford is having a heck of a rookie season.

If the Skins coaching staff believe Rex is the answer to their QB problems, they are hurtin a lot more than I thought. He got run out of Chicago because of his poor play and is fortunate he didn't get a pair of concrete shoes to go along with it. The Skins need to start drafting young players and building a team from the ground up.

With Synder's $$ maybe he can bribe hoody to go to work for him!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Patriots Factoid of the week:

The Pats have won 11 straight games with snow falling dating back to 2001. The Patriots have outscored their opponents 109-0 in first half of their last three snow games. 109-0!

Snowplows, Zambonis and shovels may come into play. There's nothing that warms a Pats fans heart like when they shovel a little spot for a Pats Field Goal kicker in the closing minutes and the opponents cry "Foul!"

Heavy snow is in the forecast....

Best Pats hate video...

[video:youtube]

Patriots Factoid of the week:

The Pats have won 11 straight games with snow falling dating back to 2001.

Shhhhh...

Perhaps it's best not to talk about the 2001-2002 season around here when talking about the Patriots' snow playing abilities... ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I really wonder whose idea it was to sign McNabb in the first place considering the drama this season. Benching him in favor of Grossman leads me to believe the Shanahans and GM Allen are going to blow up this team. It is the only explanation since they will definitely lose the current locker room with this move.

IMO, the team needs to rebuild with younger players. I do not have a problem if that is the general direction. But, their personnel decisions could be made a lot more tactfully. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived