Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

A bit of a yearly ritual with me, but here goes: I disapprove of the season starting with a single game on a Thursday, as good a matchup as this is.

Hear hear.

(My yearly ritualistic agreement with you, completing the process until 2011)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bit of a yearly ritual with me, but here goes: I disapprove of the season starting with a single game on a Thursday, as good a matchup as this is.

Hear hear.

(My yearly ritualistic agreement with you, completing the process until 2011)

Yeah it's kind of a tease, but try to think of the entire football weekend, then it's not so bad.

For example, there's a college game on fri night, and a few big college games on Sat to hold us until Sunday gets here. Penn St vs Alabama, Ohio St vs Miami, and Florida St vs Oklahoma etc.

Work on music and enjoy!

TROLL . . . ish.

For example, there's a college game on fri night, and a few big college games on Sat to hold us until Sunday gets here. Penn St vs Alabama, Ohio St vs Miami, and Florida St vs Oklahoma etc.

Work on music and enjoy!

I still have a bit of fondness for USF Bulls (they were still Division I-AA when I lived in Tampa - a couple of years away from joining the Big East) and will try to follow their progress against the Florida Gators. They already beat Florida State recently.

The Vikings protected Favre a lot better this time around. Favre is a publicity hound, but he can still throw the football, even when it an arm throw to make a completion. It was tough football. This is my favorite time of year!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Vikings protected Favre a lot better this time around. Favre is a publicity hound, but he can still throw the football, even when it an arm throw to make a completion. It was tough football. This is my favorite time of year!

Mike T.

Both defenses performed brilliantly - Minny's D just ran out of gas at the end.

The Vikes need to come up with an offesnsive scheme or plan or they are in serious trouble.

Watching Favre play reminds me of great boxers fighting past their prime. Enough skills to participate and flashes of brilliance but overall, time to walk away.

IMO, the Saints do not have a killer instinct. They come out firing a hail of bullets and fade in the later rounds. Still, they are the defending champions and one of the most dangerous teams in the league.

None of the excitement from the championship game but good enough to start the regular season. Football is back. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Vikes need to come up with an offesnsive scheme or plan or they are in serious trouble.

Watching Favre play reminds me of great boxers fighting past their prime. Enough skills to participate and flashes of brilliance but overall, time to walk away.

Peterson was running it just fine for some tough but very effective yards in the 1st half. Second half they all but abandoned the Peterson attack, yet they turn to Favre who was great right before halftime, but had a dead arm the entire second half! I mean he was skipping balls off the turf the entire half. Did Childress not notice this??

TROLL . . . ish.

I dislike this article's conclusions. :idea::mad:

dB

My understanding is that the ranking is based on TV viewership in each team's home area. Thus, a higher percentage of people in Kansas City watch the Chiefs than the percentage of folks in Oakland who watch the Raiders. ;) I don't think they take into account the number of Raider fans outside of Oakland.

Earlier in the day, Mike Francessa in New York was discussing experts' O-lines ratings. Everyone has NO as the #1 two-way O-line in the game. They really took it to the Vikings in the second half, depriving Favre of a lot of opportunities.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I think it's too early to make conclusions about Favre based on tonight's game. Has Brett lost a step, or it just that he hasn't gotten into a rhythm yet with his backup receivers, or both?

We'll know more in the coming weeks. ;)

It was nice of the Vikings to spot the Packers a game though. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I've been wondering when you were going to get around to saying that. :D

Okay, now it's football season! :cool::thu::wave:

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, we're betting against the spread, but IIRC, we don't get points until after the whole week is through (i.e., Tuesday).

Feels like a million years since last NFL season, so I'm a little rusty on the process. I'll get in the groove soon enough. :)

I think it's too early to make conclusions about Favre based on tonight's game. Has Brett lost a step, or it just that he hasn't gotten into a rhythm yet with his backup receivers, or both?

Lost a step? I dunno, it looked more like relying on his arm because he was on a bum leg than anything else.

His arm got tired after that 1st half, what was he 4 of 12 or something in the 2nd half? Childress should have expected that and gone back to Peterson. They have to compliment each other.

TROLL . . . ish.

I thought Favre's second half slump was supposed to be largely due to an adjustment in coverage the Saints made on Favre's go-to receiver from the first half, at least that was the conclusion they made in the booth. But who really knows?

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, we're betting against the spread, but IIRC, we don't get points until after the whole week is through (i.e., Tuesday).

Feels like a million years since last NFL season, so I'm a little rusty on the process. I'll get in the groove soon enough. :)

Thanks, Jeff. I recall us betting against the spread in the past, but I guess I missed reading about it this time around.

Best,

Geoff

Geoff:

Brett's timing was a bit off with his receivers, but he wasn't in training camp so I'd say its just a matter of getting on the same page as his receivers. Brett is still Brett, he still has a gun of an arm. The Saints are a tough team, but I honestly thought they were going to hand the Vikings their collective team rectum on a platter, which didn't happen. Maybe the Vikes are a little better than I had thought.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow, most of the big games are on at exactly the same time tommorrow at 3:30pm. I'd forgotten the Michigan/ND game as well.

Looks like the remote is going to need fresh batteries!! Football!!

**Correction**

Looks like the Penn St vs Alabama game is on tonight at 7pm.

TROLL . . . ish.

Geoff:

Brett's timing was a bit off with his receivers, but he wasn't in training camp so I'd say its just a matter of getting on the same page as his receivers. Brett is still Brett, he still has a gun of an arm. The Saints are a tough team, but I honestly thought they were going to hand the Vikings their collective team rectum on a platter, which didn't happen. Maybe the Vikes are a little better than I had thought.

Cheers,

Mike T.

You gotta admit, while many assumed the Saints would win after all the camp problems the Vikes had this year, if you told everyone they'd win 14-9, they'd point you to the nearest psych ward and suggest you check yourself in....

Geoff:

Cheers,

Mike T.

You gotta admit, while many assumed the Saints would win after all the camp problems the Vikes had this year, if you told everyone they'd win 14-9, they'd point you to the nearest psych ward and suggest you check yourself in....

I heard an over/under 'expert' on the radio saying that in their models, a 23 point or under game between the Vikes/Saints would occur less than 1% of the time.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Games like this are another sound reason for me NOT to bet on football. I save a lot of money that way.

Even the "Experts" didn't expect that final score, so I'm not alone.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Wow!! That ND/Michigan game was utter warfare!!

All I can say is this kid Denard Robinson is gonna be a collegiate legend if he can stay healthy.. 502 total yrds today, with 885 yards in the last 2 games! What a player!

QB Dayne Crist from ND made some jaw dropping plays as well.

Alright, alright, I know...enough of college ball talk here in the wrong forum, I'm done. Time for a cocktail and some NFL tomorrow!

TROLL . . . ish.

Looks like I'm starting the season with a full NFC East review. G-men/Panthers at 1, Eagles/Pack at 4, then the Skins/Girls tonight. I'm going to DVR the Pats/Bengals for future viewing this week.

This looks like a mighty starting dose of gridiron grease. Better than bacon.

May the Giants crush the Panthers with a pounding running game and a dominating defense!

Looks like I'm starting the season with a full NFC East review. G-men/Panthers at 1, Eagles/Pack at 4, then the Skins/Girls tonight. I'm going to DVR the Pats/Bengals for future viewing this week.

This looks like a mighty starting dose of gridiron grease. Better than bacon.

!

I started the day with three college games, saw two real football matches (the kind you play with your feet :)) and will close with three NFL games into the early hours of the morn...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Raiders/Titans, followed by Packers/Eagles followed by Cowboys/Redskins.

I am SO ready for some football. :cool::snax::thu::rawk::cool:

Oh yeah! :thu:

We also have Panthers at Giants opposite the Raiders at Titans, but I can understand why you'll be watching Raiders / Titans. ;)

As for me, I'll be flipping back and forth between those games, but of course the highlight of my day will be the Packers at Eagles game. :cool:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Archived