Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that makes me happier than DALLAS losing is the Steelers winning. Good call db. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Good call db.

Yepper. Is Oakland's red zone defense that good or the Boys' RZ offense that poor?

It's the preseason,andt the first match at that...but the cowboys o-line might have problems...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Okay, so it's preseason...but I'll take the Raiders beating the Cowboys in Dallas any time. :)

HELL YEAH!

I have zero faith in preseason being an indicator of anything, good or bad, but it is a breath of fresh air being out of the JaMarcus Debacle Years. Raiders looked good by all accounts.

GO RAIDERS

Somehow, I don't have any sympathy for the Cowboys; their offensive line, their offensive owner, or their no-offense QB Romo. So far, Tony has done a great job of choking when the game is on the line. He's not a very good holder, doesn't make the clutch throws, and has not proven to be a winner when the chips are down.

Yep, no sympathy, no mercy, take no prisoners.

Even the Dallas Cheerleaders have been looking pretty lame the last few years. :/

I wouldn't have it any other way.

No CHEERS for Dallas!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's the preseason,andt the first match at that...but the cowboys o-line might have problems...

It was their 2nd pre-season game. Nonetheless, it's always good to see them lose. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

HoF 'game' doesnt really count, it is more of a glorified scrimmage than a preseason game..but I agree, it is always good to see them lose...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

The other day, I looked at the listing for the NFL Network, and it was a Green Bay Packers scrimmage. It may have actually said "Green Bay Packers vs. Green Bay Packers." I'm not *that* desperate to watch football.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Simmons on holdouts

I found his analysis of the Brady situation interesting, but he actually didn't go far enough. If you accept Simmons arguments on value and all that and that Brady's probably going to get Franchised after playing well below market value for way too many years all the while Irsay keeps publicly talking about how he fully intends to make Manning the highest paid player in the game, then that makes the way the Pats have treated are probably will do Brady all the more disrespectful.

The other thing Simmons missed is that while the Colts paid the hell out of Manning with a contract that would cripple most teams, and as he did note they still managed to keep the core around Manning while paying fair market value for talent, the one thing they have going for them in that regard is Polian. As much as I can't stand that guy, he knows the cap rules better than anyone having basically written them. Kind of gives you the impression that part of the problem in NE is not being quite sure how to pay guys top dollar and still keep under the cap.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Kind of gives you the impression that part of the problem in NE is not being quite sure how to pay guys top dollar and still keep under the cap.

No, the problem in NE is that they got burned by the last couple of big purchases they made (Adalius Thomas in particular) which makes it harder to find enough money to pay the guys that deserve it while still keeping enough depth to cover for previous failures.

I dont know Scott, New England is almost as cheap as the Steelers have been up until they signed Big Ben to a huge deal.

Heres what Brady got the last time:

A six-year, $60 million deal ($26.5 million guaranteed) signed in 2005, one year after Peyton Manning's colossal seven-year, $99 million deal.

This year Brady is playing for 6.5 million? And if Robert Kraft keeps dragging his feet into this season without a new deal for Tom, he could easily Franchise him for one more year for what.....12 million? At that point Brady may be expendable.

Brady may set the record for being the lowest paid top quarterback in the modern era of the NFL. If not for Brady and a few other core players, NE wouldn't have won 3 Super Bowls. Put Bledsoe behind center with the same team and there would have been different results.

The respect Tom has been getting from Kraft and the NE organization is an insult to such a great quarterback. He is one of the best ever and NE has had no problem paying him what they can get away with, kinda like Walmart treats their employees. Only Tom brought the NE Walmart 3 world championships.

Mike T.

OTOH, folks complain about the astronomical salaries of players. Then, teams like the Pats, Colts and Steelers are blamed for being notoriously cheap. When it comes to money, it's hard to please both sides. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

OTOH, folks complain about the astronomical salaries of players. Then, teams like the Pats, Colts and Steelers are blamed for being notoriously cheap. When it comes to money, it's hard to please both sides. :cool:

I was thinking the same thing.

And the above, mind you, is coming from a Skins fan, a team who has never seemed to find any difficulty paying people vast sums of money to... uh.... well...

The respect Tom has been getting from Kraft and the NE organization is an insult to such a great quarterback.

Actually, the contract you referenced was one Brady helped structure, because he (circa 2005) was more interested in the team having enough money to be able to continue building around him.

What (unfortunately) happened was that suddenly a host of other Pats players demanded "best at the position" contracts, including Deion Branch (what has he done since he was traded to Seattle?) and several others who were let go by the team because they just wanted too damned much money for what they were worth.

What you call "cheap" has been a matter of reasonable fiscal responsibility versus teams like Washington and Oakland, who overpay for splashy free agents that don't do shit when they get there.

The only exception that is now rearing its ugly head (and has been since the end of 2007, frankly) is the O-Line. They let a lot of linemen go for big dollar contracts elsewhere, and now they are struggling to fill the gaps, particularly with Mankins' holdout and Kaczur's possible season-ending injury.

Even the Dallas Cheerleaders have been looking pretty lame the last few years. :/

I've been a Redskins fan for my entire life, and very few people hate the Dallas Cowboys more than I do. That said, there ain't nothing lame about these ladies... :love:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/noah822/SquadPhoto_2010_600.jpg

2010 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders

And the above, mind you, is coming from a Skins fan, a team who has never seemed to find any difficulty paying people vast sums of money to... uh.... well...

What you call "cheap" has been a matter of reasonable fiscal responsibility versus teams like Washington and Oakland, who overpay for splashy free agents that don't do shit when they get there.

Yep. I would have preferred building a team instead of trying to buy it again.

I certainly hope the new regime keeps the owner more fiscally responsible than he has been in the past.

I'm not one complaining about player salaries. However, I do not believe all men are willing to "play hard" once they have been well fed.

I do believe plastic face, er, Jerry Jones did the right thing in sparing no expense on those cheerleaders. :thu::cool:

PD

by Griffinator:

You may be right about that in the case of New England. However, I maintain that the Stealers are just CHEAP. In baseball, the Pirates are even MORE cheap. It must be a Pittsburgh thing. :sick::rolleyes::cry:

And of course, the Steelers finally broke down and gave Big Ben ALL the money and what does he do? He proves that he's an over-grown pampered athlete that has always gotten his own way and has done what he's wanted to do most of his life. I guess it serves the Steelers right for paying real money to a criminal that can't handle his booze, or women. :poke: :idk

Cheers,

Mike T.

Edit: I just read this by ProfD:

"I do believe plastic face, er, Jerry Jones did the right thing in sparing no expense on those cheerleaders."

To bad those cheerleaders hardly break even on their expenses for the "honor" of being a Cowboys Cheerleader. I remember the story that comes out in the mid-seventies that Cowboys Cheerleaders were pad $15 a game. I'm sure its gone up to maybe.......hmm.......$30 a game now, but the way Dallas has played in recent years, it doesn't hit me as such an honor. :sick:

I believe the cheerleaders pay has gone up considerably since the mid-70s. They get perks beyond money.

For one, attending games for free. Ticket prices, drinks and concessions aren't cheap. :laugh:

In football news, that Skins offense already 'looks' better. Definitely got a real play-caller on the sideline

Maybe this new jack 3-4 defense could work providing that players know their assignments.

The Skins have a tough schedule but I have a good feeling they will hold their own and be fun to watch. :cool:

PD

You may be right about that in the case of New England. However, I maintain that the Stealers are just CHEAP. In baseball, the Pirates are even MORE cheap. It must be a Pittsburgh thing. :sick::rolleyes::cry:

And of course, the Steelers finally broke down and gave Big Ben ALL the money and what does he do? He proves that he's an over-grown pampered athlete that has always gotten his own way and has done what he's wanted to do most of his life. I guess it serves the Steelers right for paying real money to a criminal that can't handle his booze, or women. :poke: :idk

Unfortunately for Steeler fans, the whole thing just reinforces to ownership that it's not worth it to pay anyone big bucks...

True Dat. Word was around Pittsburgh long before the last crime that Ben committed that we had a flaming A-hole at QB. Everyone wants to win and we can't control players personalities. He was a closet creep before he got into the NFL. Now he's just a creep.

Mike T.

I was so starved for NFL football, I actually sat and watched replays of a couple of preseason games on NFL Network. TO appeared to behave as a Bengal, but probably because Palmer threw to him more than to Ochocinco. The Chargers were without 2 of their top three pass rushers (Merriman and English) so Rivera did something the Chargers rarely do in preseason, call plenty of blitzes from all positions (safeties, corners, etc.). Competition for roster spots at D-line was particularly intense, and it showed in the game. The Bears' newly acquired Peppers had little impact despite a rotation of backups at left tackle to oppose him. Matthews looked more like Michael Turner than LT, but that's ok. Poor kid has a lot of pressure already in taking his idol's place on the team.

I suppose many of us are starved for football. Saturday night I went to a "Sports Bar" to watch the Steelers Pre Season game. Too bad Penn State's summer graduation was on Saturday too and there were a lot of people in the place to eat, talk, and didn't care about the Steelers game. They had the music sound system up instead of broadcasting the game. :(

I realize that the game announcers don't always have anything interesting to say, but they did have Jaws, Mike Tirico, and whats his name that use to coach a couple of different NFL teams?? :/ in the booth. So they night have had some interesting information on some of the players trying to make the team(s). But no sound.

I guess it will be more of the same for tonight's Giants/Jets game on MNF.

Mike T.

Um... ouch.

Yet more evidence of why coaches, players, and most fans can't stand pre-season: your starters getting hurt. I know this little gash won't hamper Eli for long, but it's never good when your main guy gets his head smashed under any circumstances.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0816/ny_u_elimts2_576.jpg

Um... ouch.

Yet more evidence of why coaches, players, and most fans can't stand pre-season: your starters getting hurt. I know this little gash won't hamper Eli for long, but it's never good when your main guy gets his head smashed under any circumstances.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0816/ny_u_elimts2_576.jpg

Reminiscent of the classic Y.A. Tittle photo, even if it is preseason.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Reminiscent of the classic Y.A. Tittle photo, even if it is preseason.

I was thinking the same thing last night. And yes, OUCH.

I liked the Cruz kid, three TDs. Always sombody like that in preseason, then they always seeem to vanish. Hopefully he'll get some time with the starters next week.

Archived