Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As we focus on the season ahead, there's a sequel to a story from years past making headlines today:

NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl

In case anyone is interested (and I was), our conversation about that game took place at Harmony Central, during Dave's tenure as moderator there:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=983298&pp=20&page=75

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Raiders will make the playoffs this season. Discuss.

they've been upgraded at qb...but will that get them past S.D.?

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Hmm...

It's titled a little differently, but that looks like the very same article I linked to a half dozen posts ago. ;)

The article gives some vindication to fans who felt Seattle was robbed, but then it ends with this quote:

"The Super Bowl was one of those games where it seemed the big calls went against Seattle," Hochuli said in August 2006. "And that was just fortuitous bad fortuitous for Seattle.

"The league felt, actually, that the Super Bowl was well officiated. Now, that doesn't mean there were no mistakes. There are always mistakes, but it was a well-officiated game."

"It was a well-officiated game." No, I can't say I agree with that. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Seattle was robbed, but no one's going to hold that Super Bowl up as a shining example of a well-officiated game.

Best,

Geoff

Hmm...

It's titled a little differently, but that looks like the very same article I linked to a half dozen posts ago. ;)

I posted before I saw your post. Maybe now however, now that we've exposed the truth about that game, the police will take action against the referee, the NFL, and the citizens of PA, since they were all in it together.

Raiders will make the playoffs this season. Discuss.

I'm a Raiders fan, but I'd be surprised if this was going to happen.

The Raiders' defense wasn't bad last season, and it would seem on the surface that losing JaMarcus is going to be an automatic improvement at QB. But nothing much has changed with the Raiders' terrible O-line, and Campbell won't have a chance to be great if he's on his ass after every play. Cable will not be calling plays this year, so perhaps he can focus on getting the O-line in line.

Khalif Barnes will probably make a contribution this year (spent last year with a broken leg). Robert Gallery is always this guy that seems to be full of potential and hasn't lived up to it yet, due to injuries or otherwise. Satele didn't do jack shit at center and got run over on most plays, so hopefully there are changes there.

So.. playoffs? I guess it only depends on how sucky the Bolts, Chiefs and Horsies are this year (which, hopefully, will be pretty damn bad all around). The entire AFC West is a pretty terrible division regardless. My Raiders prediction at the moment: an optimistic 6-10. I doubt that gets them a playoff berth, ya know? But I'm still looking forward to the games.

GO RAIDERS

Referee of Seattle's Super Bowl Loss Admits Errors

That's correct. SteadyB referring to the Steelers as the Stealers 4 years after that game amazes even me.

There were some bad calls, but Seattle played even worse than the Steelers. They had their chances.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The general concensus on the AFC.

The usual doormats: Buffalo, Kansas City, Cleveland and Jacksonville.

The usual contenders: New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Indianapolis.

Teams of Interest in the mix: Cincy, Pitt (the Big Ben saga), NY Jets and Houston.

Teams without enough oomph: Miami, Oakland, Tennessee, and Denver.

Other factors:

AFC East draws the tough AFC North and NFC North. 5 teams played over .500 last year. This could hurt the second place team's (The Jets) chance of advancing.

AFC North draws the AFC East and NFC South: 4 teams playing over .500 last year. The usual division warfare between the top 3 teams could make it tough for a team to advance as a wild card.

AFC West draws the AFC South and NFC West. 3 teams playing over .500 last year. Oakland or Denver could nab a Wild Card berth as other contenders in the East and North beat each other up.

AFC South draws the AFC West and NFC East. 3 teams playing over .500 last year. Houston's path to a wild card is clear.

Wild Card Predictions: Houston. Oakland or Denver sneaks in as Pittsburg and Cincy and Baltimore beat up on each other and Jets can't survive a tough schedule.

Just a reminder -- we've got three Thursday games this week, so don't forget to get your picks in before then! :wave:;)

That does beg the question of whether or not we will have Pick 'Em this year. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

...Campbell won't have a chance to be great if he's on his ass after every play.

GO RAIDERS

I'd be curious to see what Jason can do with a good line protecting him. Best of luck with that. I wish i could see the game tomorrow, mostly to see Colt play. I have a feeling that he will be good for the Raiders.

That does beg the question of whether or not we will have Pick 'Em this year. :cool:

We have to have a pick-em. It's tradition....

Like watching Charlie Brown on Halloween or something.

FWIW-I preferred the Survival pool as an ongoing thread as opposed to the Yahoo thing (which is perfect for pickem). It allows the people that get tossed in week one to remain active with chatter. Like me for instance.

We have to have a pick-em. It's tradition....

Like watching Charlie Brown on Halloween or something.

FWIW-I preferred the Survival pool as an ongoing thread as opposed to the Yahoo thing (which is perfect for pickem). It allows the people that get tossed in week one to remain active with chatter. Like me for instance.

If DB runs the Survival thread I will set up the Pick-em pool

What does everyone think about using confidence points? You basically rate you picks from 1 to 16 based on which ones you are the surest. If you top pick for week wins you get 16 points. If your weakest pick wins you get only one point. Helps to determine if you really know your picks or a randomly guessing. I never win anyway so it makes no difference to me

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

What does everyone think about using confidence points? You basically rate you picks from 1 to 16 based on which ones you are the surest. If you top pick for week wins you get 16 points. If your weakest pick wins you get only one point. Helps to determine if you really know your picks or a randomly guessing. I never win anyway so it makes no difference to me

I know my picks but I wouldn't run around calling confidence. The spread causes enough problems. :laugh:

I would vote to keep it simple but whatever the majority decides, I'm down. Let's get it. :rawk::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If DB runs the Survival thread I will set up the Pick-em pool

You guys wanna go back to doing that here instead of as a Yahoo group? I didn't run the Yahoo survival pool...

dB

I'm into the Pick-em and the Survival pool as long as we're not expected to call preseason games. That in and of itself is an exercise in futility.

I know my picks but I wouldn't run around calling confidence. The spread causes enough problems. :laugh:

I would vote to keep it simple but whatever the majority decides, I'm down. Let's get it. :rawk::cool:

+1

Best,

Geoff

Archived