Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tested the nord piano? did it have the new samples?

fjzingo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some posts about it in other threads, including the Yamaha CP thread

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I played the Nord Piano at NAMM. I don't know if the samples are new, to me it sounded similar to the piano in the stage. Although they weren't necessarily the most realistic piano sounds I've heard from a board, I found the sound to be a perfectly robust LIVE sound. Meaning that the piano had the perfect tone to cut through but blend in a band situation. It was bright but not brittle. If it weren't a one trick pony, I'd say it was worth having. The stage seems like a much more logical choice though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Methinks it's Nords reply to Korg's SV-1, seeing as they cover the just about the same ground at a similiar(ish) price range.

The NP seems like a Stage without the organ & synth sections (and all the other Stage's bells & whistles, but at least the FX are there). Synth & particularly Organ on weighted keys never feels right to me so I don't mind getting another board to cover those, but $2600 is a bit much to pay for just the 'piano' board.

Having tried the SV-1, which has a lovely piano sound & is markedly cheaper, I'd be inclined toward it.

Played it at NAMM. Was unimpressed with the sounds and action of the keyboard. I would go with the CP5. No contest.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Played it at NAMM. Was unimpressed with the sounds and action of the keyboard. I would go with the CP5. No contest.

Well, apart from the weight. I tried a Stage 76 to cut down my load-in workout, but just couldn't get on with either the action (too light for my taste, found it hard to "dig in") or the sound (all the Nord pianos sound anonymous in the tenor range to me).

So I got an SV-1/73. Both action and pianos are solid and its a reasonable compromise in size and weight for me. YMMV.

If you can't live with 88 notes, still look at the SV-1/88, as well as the usual suspects - Yamaha CP33 (soon to be replaced by CP50 I guess), Roland FP4 or RD300GX.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

D-Bon, I never recorded it but one of its admitted strengths was that the Stage DID sit well in band mixes live, IMO. Unfortunately, the majority of my work is solo piano so...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Aren't the new Rhodes sounds dyno like from what I read, very bell like. Looks like a bit of a letdown with the Nord Piano then. Seems the Stage is still your best bet.

+1

For roughly an extra $1K you largely get the same pianos, plus organ, synth, and enhanced MIDI capability.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Any sound samples for the new Rhodes's yet?

I am very glad a dyno'ed sound is available, but there are variations within that area as well... Al Jarreau's dyno sound (George Duke's, that is, or maybe Canning's) is different (richer) from Russ Ferrante's dyno'ed sound on the Jackets' Mirage A Trois album...

Very curious...

Do users really appreciate the foot pedal noises?

To me that was always an unfavorable noise when playing acoustic pianos.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Isn't it funny how things like this recreate "flaws"? I mean Hammond probably drove people crazy trying to get rid of tonewheel leakage, and now all clones have it. Wouldn't it be funny if he were around today and tweaked an instrument to sound like he wanted? No leakage, etc.? We'd all probably go "yuk!"

Those samples of the Nord Piano sound really good (though going thru an online video and computer speakers, who knows).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Indeed, it does sound good. As to Mogut's comment, I for one use that pedal noise as a musical element. Have only done so on acoustics so far... I've been wondering lately, with taking piano sounds to the next level, why no company allows the player to pluck the strings. It wouldn't be too hard, I guess, and I would truly appreciate that.

Nord seems to have missed the first train, though. Sounds as if he's presenting revolutionating technology when adding pedal noise and string resonance is just putting the Nords up to par with what's generally taken for granted these days.

This keyboard also does lack a few things. First off, and this has been mentioned a LOT, but a more piano-like keybed, since it's not supposed to be a compromise between different instrument types. Secondly, where is that big ol' delay that the Stage has? Vital for rhodes.

Nevertheless, I'll probably have to try it when it comes. Just...

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Isn't it funny how things like this recreate "flaws"? I mean Hammond probably drove people crazy trying to get rid of tonewheel leakage, and now all clones have it. Wouldn't it be funny if he were around today and tweaked an instrument to sound like he wanted? No leakage, etc.? We'd all probably go "yuk!"

Like my Hammond T-212 - very dry and boring sounding organ. It was designed to have little keyclick, among other undesirable "features".

I'd like to do these mods someday.

Stuff and things.

Archived