Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Of ALL the playing injuries . . .

raddtunes

I'm developing what is certainly a "repetitive motion" type injury at the top of my back/bottom of my neck area.

It's directly the result of playing left hand bass on my RD-700GX. Or - I should say playing left hand bass improperly. I think I'm pushing too hard, while keeping my left hand/arm extended in the bass area of the keyboard constantly. Any thoughts on that? I am properly trained - and can play regular piano for several hours without problems.

I've adjusted my siting position - one octave lower than middle C now, which seems to help some, but this past week I came home quite sore, and the pain is moving south.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to have a similar problem. Since then my hands are very picky about weighted keyboard actions. For example, casio, yamaha actions cause me pain.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

For the guy who's pain is going south, you've got a pinched nerve, I very strongly suggest talking with a Damn good physical therapist or they will get worse. My problem is my hands, fingers, no problems while I'm playing at all but the next day, WOW, I have arthritis, boy does it hurt, there is not a thing that can be done besides stop playing and I am damned if I will do that.

I don't know what to say but you have some serious sympathy from me. I would also check out a physical therapist, but have nothing more to offer, because obviously resting up isn't an option as this is how you make your living. Seriously sucks though and I'm sorry!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I would DEFINATELY see a PT or Massage therapist. In the interem take a tennis ball and lay on it trying to find the place that hurts the most.

Do you sleep on your side? if so put a pillow under the arm that is on top if that is the shoulder that hurts. If it is the bottom shoulder they roll over. The best way to sleep is on your back. Also do some stretches for Traps, Infraspinatus, Supraspinatus, Teres major/minor, deltoids and Bicepts.

Your forum MT National License # 09230

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

My problem is my hands, fingers, no problems while I'm playing at all but the next day, WOW, I have arthritis, boy does it hurt, there is not a thing that can be done besides stop playing and I am damned if I will do that.

I know what you mean. Been living on anti-inflammatories. :(

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Traps, Infraspinatus, Supraspinatus, Teres major/minor, deltoids and Bicepts.

Hey Jimmy, that reads like a new breed of dinosaurs. Otherwise, you might have a few clients soon. :laugh:

This is terrible news to me as I also like to play LH bass and use a weighted KB action. I've thought about buying a 2nd KB (unweighted action) primarily for that reason.

But, there are potential arm/wrist issues if the 2nd KB is placed above the 88. I'd imagine playing that 2nd KB to the left could lead back to the same problem in time. D*mn.

Radd, you certainly have my sympathy bro. Hope the doc can recommend the apppropriate course of action in providing relief soon. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My problem is my hands, fingers, no problems while I'm playing at all but the next day, WOW, I have arthritis, boy does it hurt, there is not a thing that can be done besides stop playing and I am damned if I will do that.

Look into Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Fish Oil, and MSM. Might not do a thing, but they've done wonders for me
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

been living on anti-inflammatories for the last 1 1/2 years myself, and my PT says there is nothing more she can do for me. Construction related injury, something I am gonna have to live with. Makes it difficult to load in/out my own gear. I HATE having to trust/rely on someone else to move my gear!! Jimmy, if I had known you were a MT, I would have moved SOUTH instead of trying to move west! You would have another client for sure!

radd, don't wait too long to begin getting treatment for this. The longer you wait the more damage you do, making it harder to recover.

Jay

Radd, your MT or PT will also give you exercises to do to strengthen the OPPOSSIT muscle. Antagonist/Protagonist muscles work together to create movement. Other wise when you reach up to scratch you nose you would slap yourself in the face.

Often times a muscle strain is caused by the antagonist being stronger than the protagonist.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

you guys might want to avoid wheat lectins, or more generally, bread

All glucosamine is thought to do is bind to the proteins from wheat which otherwise would unlock the carbohydrates that extend from cartilage cells! Therefore it is more logical to simply not eat the wheat!

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

although I should add that different people may have allergies to different lectins, and it is not fully understood. experimenting with your diet using periods of abstinence and consistency followed by a test variable is always a good idea, and in my opinion, something you should be doing all your life.

VPC-1 w/Ivory II & Nord Electro 3

Look into Glucosamine and Chondroitin, Fish Oil, and MSM. Might not do a thing, but they've done wonders for me

Tried them all. In small doses none of them make any difference. Large doses of glucosamine made my joints feel stiffer after a week or so, but I've found 4500mg of fish oil a day helps. It's enabled me to cut down from 3 50mg diclofenac tablets per day to 1.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Have you tried adjusting your seat height too? I found that I was getting some pain in my left wrist too. Then I traded my (low) piano stool for a height-adjustable drum throne and set the height so that my elbow was slightly higher than the keyboard. That did the trick.

jaff, that is good to know since my injury is shoulder, which led to elbow tendonitis, but that has now recovered. I am trying to prevent a recurrence. I will give that a try especially since I just re-invented my studio due to a few new projects coming my way.

Archived