Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Used Synth?

theGman

I hope this topic isn't too vague. I would like to get a 2nd hand synth in the 600 to 1000 range.

I figure this would be like buying a generation-old used car, to get the best available. I am stuck on any one brand, but what would be good general buy in this price range?

I have a Electro 3 and XK1 now, and prefer the light touch so many here despise :).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are your needs soundwise? Do you need a good VA or something more specialized? You may go to some old general purpose (Roland (D50 or something in this league, Korg M1 or Triton, they all do the same all around thing) or a used VW (Nord Lead 2 comes first in mind) for leads and electronica stuff. They all are in the 600-1000 price (at least here in Europe) but they're totally different animals. It's all in your sonic needs
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Well - it is like buying a used car. It all depends on the application. Everyone will have their favorites, so I might as well list mine:

General Purpose: Yamaha Motif ES6 or ES7 (lower and upper end of your price range)

Virtual Analog: Access Virus Kb or if you're lucky Kc

Experimental and just whacked-out fun: Roland V-Synth

If you're into mono analog you can find Moog LPs for well under a grand used these days.

You may go to some old general purpose (Roland (D50 or something in this league,

I have a lovely, low-mileage D-50 for sale ... with two memory cards (1 ROM + 1 RAM).

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

There are many possibilities on the used market. Otherwise, within that price range, consider the following brand new synths:

Alesis Micron

Korg R3

Korg X50

Roland SH-201

DSI MEK

Either way, the best synth, new or used, is one in excellent condition and enables the end user to make music with it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So a Korg Triton would do the job. Nice all around sounds, but nothing TOO good (but you got Nord, right?). Strings, pads, orchestral sounds, pads and the usual stuff. But for blues, southern rock and Doors you can go with the Nord only - pianos, organs and some rhodes and clavs- can't you?
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I have a Electro 3 and XK1 now, and prefer the light touch so many here despise :).

Save your money / save your back. You've got everything you need to play blues, Rock, The Doors, & Jimmy Smith.

Be happy. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Type "best synth" in the search box. Get that one! :D

Why dont we have a massive poll that lists every keyboard ever made, and everyone only vote for one. And just title it "The best one" and sticky it?

....seriously

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Type "best synth" in the search box. Get that one! :D

Why dont we have a massive poll that lists every keyboard ever made, and everyone only vote for one. And just title it "The best one" and sticky it?

....seriously

Confining these GAS riddled musos to one vote would be a problem. :laugh:

Sonic State is a good place to start when looking for the best synths. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I understand that nowadays you can buy a Korg Triton (used) for about $300. Its really sad because years ago I worked for a year just to save up enough cash to spend like $3000 on the keyboard. But, they are still around for like 10% of the price and I still recommend that keyboard..especially with the expansions.

I understand that nowadays you can buy a Korg Triton (used) for about $300. Its really sad because years ago I worked for a year just to save up enough cash to spend like $3000 on the keyboard. But, they are still around for like 10% of the price and I still recommend that keyboard..especially with the expansions.

I find it hard to believe that Tritons sell for $300 used.

I find it hard to believe that Tritons sell for $300 used.

That's because they don't.

As already said. The electro 3 is perfect for that classic rock gig. It's weakest link is the acoustic piano ( and action for piano),but all in all it does a hell of a job w/ hammond,wurlys, clavs, and rhodes. a triton can't touch it for those sounds and live performance. You got what you need bro.

If i was to get an older keyboard I would rather have a motif. Even the original version is a great board and can be purchased now for half of their original costs.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, lets see at the time there were a few that were going for that rate. Now, when I checked there are others that arte 88 key going for between 500-800, however most have NO BIDS. Also, I'd be more than happy to link you a listing...of course, logic also tells me that you can search ebay yourself via a keyword. If you do not how to do this, simply go to ebay by typing in on your web browser, "www.ebay.com" then in the keyword search area, just type in korg triton and you will find a list of keyboards along with their prices and descriptions. I hope this helped, since it sounds like you do not know how to check ebay. As requested, here is a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Triton-61-Key-Workstation-Keyboard-Sampler_W0QQitemZ150410873799QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item23052fcbc7

Well, lets see at the time there were a few that were going for that rate. Now, when I checked there are others that arte 88 key going for between 500-800, however most have NO BIDS. Also, I'd be more than happy to link you a listing...of course, logic also tells me that you can search ebay yourself via a keyword. If you do not how to do this, simply go to ebay by typing in on your web browser, "www.ebay.com" then in the keyword search area, just type in korg triton and you will find a list of keyboards along with their prices and descriptions. I hope this helped, since it sounds like you do not know how to check ebay. As requested, here is a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Triton-61-Key-Workstation-Keyboard-Sampler_W0QQitemZ150410873799QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item23052fcbc7

2 days left on the auction, that price will go way up by the time it's over.

Now here's a little lesson for you. Once you've searched for an item on Ebay, there's a link on the left side of the page that's says "Completed Listings." That will show the final selling price of past auctions using your search keyword. Go check the completed listings for Korg Tritons, and you'll see what they really sell for. I only saw a couple that sold for under $500, and they didn't look to be in great shape, which is probably why.

2 days left on the auction, that price will go way up by the time it's over.

Now here's a little lesson for you. Once you've searched for an item on Ebay, there's a link on the left side of the page that's says "Completed Listings." That will show the final selling price of past auctions using your search keyword. Go check the completed listings for Korg Tritons, and you'll see what they really sell for. I only saw a couple that sold for under $500, and they didn't look to be in great shape, which is probably why.

Thanks, Bridog. :thu:

I was on my iPhone earlier, which is why my reply wasn't more ... detailed. Appreciate you helping clear it up for our new friend. ;)

logic also tells me that you can search ebay yourself via a keyword.

A shame that same logic couldn't help you comprehend my question. I'll quote it here with special emphasis so you can try again.

Tell you what... you prove us wrong. Please link to an eBay auction that has completed where the working Triton classic has sold for $300.

Is that clearer for you? :)

So a Korg Triton would do the job. Nice all around sounds, but nothing TOO good (but you got Nord, right?). Strings, pads, orchestral sounds, pads and the usual stuff. But for blues, southern rock and Doors you can go with the Nord only - pianos, organs and some rhodes and clavs- can't you?

The problem I have with the E3 is that you can only do a split with the organ sounds, and I would like to be able to do an organ/piano split; therefore, I was hoping to find something with ideally or close to the E3 piano half sounds on a seperate keyboard.

I didn't know you couldn't do a basic piano/organ split when I bought it. Still love it though.

Paul

But why don't you use the Electro for pianos and the XK1 for organs - problem solved - or?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

you know what? Considering the fact that when the Triton just came out I worked a YEAR to save up and pay for the darn thing...I am quite frankly relieved that its not "openly" available at a measerly rate of about $300, however I did see it in those ranges on ebay. I paid about $4,000 for that thing and it still is worth every penny. What is really worth it here is what you put out of it than what others think its worth. Maybe I should have said that before. I do understand though how we are all trying to save though..so was just trying to help after my ebay search. Hoping you find the instrument that helps you express yourself...

Leonora

Also, if I might add,thanks for teaching me how to find items that have been deemed "sold" on ebay. Earlier, I was just making a suggestion based on my observations and found that the response was a bit hostile and could not understand why. Being hostile to other fellow musicians is not cool... I did nothing wrong, just made a suggestion and suggested an avenue to look at as a possibility to help someone. Is that a reason to be mean to someone else? I felt that I had to become defensive and based on my observations and statement ended up being verbally challenged, even though I did nothing wrong. My words were quoted and used in a manner that was off context. I would quite frankly like to know why since I am a newcomer. Is this your initiation? Or are you just like this to everyone. Do you have a personal problem with me?

First explain how your words were use out of context. You said that that you could buy a Triton on Ebay for $300. We disagreed, and you have yet to prove otherwise. What's the problem exactly?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I think perhaps you've seen Tritons "listed" at around $300 (while in the middle of an auction, like the example you posted), but if you check the completed listings, you'd see that they don't actually sell for that much when all is said and done.

The unfortunate thing about checking the "sold" listings on EBay is that they only go back a couple of weeks (when they first started, they went back for months, guess it took too much database space; or else they found it more profitable to shorten the time.

I've had a couple of items that I really wanted that were more than I wanted to spend, and have kept my own records in text files on when they sold, how much they sold for, and other useful info (condition, seller reputation, etc).

Most of the items that are really wanted will only have a few token bids until the last few minutes of the auction, there is even a term used for bidding at the very last moment - "sniping." Of course, sometimes there gets to be a bidding war, and the participants take leave of their senses in the vain desire to be the "winner," I've often seen well-used merchandise sell for more than one could have bought it new from a dealer.

Can't help on the Triton pricing, never kept up with that one. Welcome to the forums, Leonora.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

But why don't you use the Electro for pianos and the XK1 for organs - problem solved - or?

Because I use the other 2 organ sounds a fair amount also, not just the Hammond sound. The XK1 doesn't do the other 2 sounds.

Archived