Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif XS: bad keybed?

Synthoid

After reading complaints (over at Motifator) about the longevity of the XS non-weighted keybeds, I wanted to ask users here--any problems with broken keys, mushiness or other issues?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not on my XS7 yet, but certainly on the ES7. I am by no means a heavy handed or hard player. But I have had 3 keys break at different times on the ES7 over a 3 year period or so. I use the ES7 as my main board most every Friday and Saturday, so it gets a lot of use, but not to have this type of problem.

There seems to be an issue with the back of the key where it sets in the metal rail. The little plastic pedestal at the end of the key develops stress cracks and eventually breaks enough to allow the key to become unseated. The key then either sticks when depressed or causes the adjacent keys to simultaneously sound. A real problem.

I have done the repairs myself since the local repair shop was far too expensive. Removed the 40 or so screws that hold the bottom panel (ridiculous) and simply used some epoxy to carefully rebuild the base of the key allowing the key to freely rock but not slip out of the metal rail. The first repair so far lasted about 3 years.

Other than that I love the boards....

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Synthoid, I owned a Motif ES7 for several years and never had any issues with any of the issues you mentioned.

However, I ended up selling it primarily because the keys are narrower than those on other keyboards. As I recall, an octave was about 3/8" narrower than an octave on Korg or Roland non-weighted keyboards. When the XS series came out, I considered purchasing an XS7, but the keys on it are narrow also.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Removed the 40 or so screws that hold the bottom panel (ridiculous)

Yeah what is it with that? Same problem with opening my Triton--would take a half-day just to remove the screws. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I would really find it hard to believe that Yamaha would put out a keyboard that would have major issues. I have an ES8 for over 5 years and there is a LOT of hours of practice and gigs on it. I haven't broken it yet. And although my playing skills aren't all that much better with all the practice, the ES8 is not worse for wear.

I played the XS7 on several occasions and it has a very nice synth action KB. The best I've ever played. But I don't know anyone that actually owns one so I don't know first or second hand about reliability.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Although most of you guys know this, I think it should be noted that the ES6-7 and XS6-7 keybeds are not the same.

For one thing, the XS series is semi-weighted with little metal weights glued to the keys' undersides - like what Roland does. And FWIW the XS does feel slightly mushier when I play it, although in general I prefer it to the ES because of the (slight) extra heft of the keys.

I don't own an XS, but have banged around on my ES7 for four years now without an issue. I suppose that anything will break if you have an extremely heavy technique though.

My ES7 has been a very reliable workhorse for several years.....no key or keybed problems to report at all.

Not at all like my old Kurz PC88 which threw keyweights all the time.

One day I will upgrade to the S70XS and I sure hope the keys are solid on that. I think that a weighted key flopping around is always going to endure more stress than semi and therefore be less reliable. I hope I am wrong with that idea.

I was referring to the unweighted keybeds though....not the 88.

I know ...just sayin tho :D

Its good to know the weighted keybeds are durable...I will buy one eventually, but will always keep the ES7 as a backup....good info guys! :thu:

• 4 years later...
yes I own the MOTIF XS 7. I've had it since 2010. And I've had several issues with the black keys only. Most of my black keys are very noisy (like metal on metal) and they have become very loose. When I bought replacement keys they worked just fine but eventually they go bad again. Just the other day one of my keys actually popped out during a rehearsal. According to yamaha I am the only one with this problem. The thing that confuses me is why doesn't it happen with the white keys and only on the black keys. I am a heavy player and I play quite often but with that being said shouldn't this happen on all keys. It appears to me that there is some kind of flaw with The black keys? this also affects the feel and the response of the black Keys vs the white keys and it's very frustrating during a performance. I wish that yamaha would look into this and correct the problem.

I've had my XF7 since late 2010, the only key problem I had was when my stand collapsed and the board fell and one key got chipped.

I play either with headphones or with very loud bands, so slight key noise would not be noticed. I play low volume at rehearsals pre-start etc., never heard any key with a problem ever.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

yes I own the MOTIF XS 7. I've had it since 2010. And I've had several issues with the black keys only. Most of my black keys are very noisy (like metal on metal) and they have become very loose. When I bought replacement keys they worked just fine but eventually they go bad again. Just the other day one of my keys actually popped out during a rehearsal. According to yamaha I am the only one with this problem. The thing that confuses me is why doesn't it happen with the white keys and only on the black keys. I am a heavy player and I play quite often but with that being said shouldn't this happen on all keys. It appears to me that there is some kind of flaw with The black keys? this also affects the feel and the response of the black Keys vs the white keys and it's very frustrating during a performance. I wish that yamaha would look into this and correct the problem.

If you have damaged any of the keys, and I mean even the smallest chip imaginable on the inner guts of the key.... it will do weird stuff....

I've had to change out 3 keys over the 5+ years ive had my current motif....never a black

but the 88's are differnt than 6 and 7's

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Archived