Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i-Tunes amazing classical music deal

Cygnus64

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know how much disk space this collection takes up?

Thanks.

I would guess it's a gig.

Actually it could be 2 gigs. They are encoded at 256kbps. I didn't know that, I thought it would be 128. It looks like tracks I purchased around 2007 are at 128, and ones purchased after are 256.

It looks like it's 2.81 GB, according to the search results in iTunes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My collection of Dowland is now complete, I've added 17 new Dowland tracks to my previous collection of zero. :D

That's funny, I am listening to the Dowland as we speak (?). Can't say as I knew a thing about his music before.

I have John Dowland on LP, but this is my first "digital Dowland." ;)

I had a tradition for awhile of listening to Dowland every Thanksgiving, because his music was contemporary to our "first" Thanksgiving in 1621, and there really wasn't any other traditional Thanksgiving music I could think of.

It's nice to have his music in a convenient format. Thanks again for the heads up, Cygnus64. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I own a fair amount already, but at the cost of one album, it's still totally worth buying.

About two months ago there was a pricing error in the Canadian iTunes store. The 111 Years Of Deutsche Grammophon collection (55 albums) that was supposed to be $130-ish was available for $9.99. For two days. It hit number one on the Top Albums list, ahead of albums from Michael Jackson, Black Eyed Peas, and Miley Cyrus. iTunes Canada fixed it, and I assume they just swallowed their losses without ever saying anything. 730 tracks, or 6.76 GB, or 2 days and 10 hours of music for $9.99.

I wonder if the huge "success" of that prompted this in any way.

You could probably buy it and download it, and archive the parts you don't want on your drive assuming you have the space to do the initial download.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Alas, my annual i-Tunes gift card is used up. :( In past years I was given a $50 card. This year= $15. :laugh: With the last 5 bucks I bought a Suite (Lady Radnor's Suite) by Parry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Parry

Parry is pretty much a one hit wonder, his hit being "Jerusalem" (yes, the one covered by ELP). After seeing some scores and hearing some tracks, I think that he should be played far more often.

There are quite a few turn of the 20th century composers who met the same fate and should be played today. The reasons they fell out of favor?

1. Debussy

2. Stravinsky

When those two came on the scene, the Parrys of the world were instantly toast. :laugh: It's very unfortunate, but they were literally turned into antiques overnight. It's awesome that one can discover this music on i-tunes.

Too bad, I'm a big fan of music of the first half of the 20th century.

Our previous pastor and his wife were serious classical music fans, but not apparently modern works. She said to me some years ago, "They been working on 20th century music for almost 100 years, and they still haven't gotten it right."

Probably not an original remark, but pretty amusing.

I get the joke, but surely she must like Copland's Appalachian Spring, Holst's The Planets, Barber's Adagio For Strings, Orff's Carmina Burana, or other of the 20th century's more accessible works.

There's more variety in the 20th century than any other century in history. Certainly, there's something for everyone!

Best,

Geoff

There's more variety in the 20th century than any other century in history.

I'll bet they said that every turn of the century. While we hear the variety, I wonder if people in the 22nd century will hear 20th century music as more homogenous.

There's more variety in the 20th century than any other century in history.

I'll bet they said that every turn of the century. While we hear the variety, I wonder if people in the 22nd century will hear 20th century music as more homogenous.

I don't think so. There's a reason for the variety: globalization. The Baroque was mainly dominated by Italy, Classical by the Germans/Austrians. By the Twentieth Century, Russians, French and British were strongly represented. Bartok and the Americans came by the 30s, so there was truly a geographical reason why it is so diverse.

And beyond that, there was a timbral explosion as a result of the technological revolution of the 20th century, which also made it possible to create scales and harmonies that made 12-tone music seem tame. And let's not forget Harry Partch, whose diversity alone could compete with entire cultures that preceded him.

And then there are all of the 20th century popular forms of music to consider -- jazz, rock, country, blues, electronica, etc.

Best,

Geoff

I give up -- how do you buy this?

The web page doesn't have a "buy" link; just a "view in iTunes" link, which required me to install some extra software, the new version of iTunes, the latest Safari (my least favourite browser on the Mac), and then reboot.

After jumping through another few hoops, it puts up a lot of confusing choices in iTunes about Twitter etc., lists the price of the album in British Sterling, then after I change country to U.S., I have to do a detailed traversal via "Browse" in the Classical genre to re-find Cologne Chamber Orchestra to get to this album.

At this point, the album itself no longer has a "Buy" button in iTunes; only the individual tracks at 99 cents apiece.

Was this a UK-only promotion?

Has it expired?

Isn't it possible to buy iTunes Store music directly via a browser?

Please note that I have never bought music online before today, other than ordering actual CD's.

I had no idea it was so complicated and that you apparently have to go through so many steps associated with a lifestyle I do not lead (consumerism, extensive use of online social networking and downloading, etc.).

Now I feel awful that I forwarded the link to a few friends and family members, who also do buy consumer gadgets or use the internet as a primary mode of entertainment and communication.

I am guessing that no one else had issues because they regularly download music and have already gone through a bunch of incremental steps over a long period of time, that for me had to all be compacted at once since I've never done any of them before?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

II had no idea it was so complicated

It's not.

The link will launch i-Tunes. After that, you will see a "buy" button. I just tested it and it's fine. Do you have an iTunes account?

Sorry you're having problems, but i-Tunes is usually really simple to use. After you have the software and an account, it really cant be much easier. Yes, there is a "buy now" button on the left to buy the whole shebang.

Hmm, I was able to get back to a view that finally shows the image you embedded in your post. That wasn't showing on my screen at first, but then I noticed you can double-click on the name of the album in the Browse hierarchy at the top of the iTunes window and it brings up the album view that I had seen earlier, with the album price tag.

Several minutes after clicking on it, it finally brought up the login dialog, so I'll see now whether it lets me set up an iTunes Store account in US Dollars and proceed to the actual purchase. :-)

Thanks for showing that clipboard swipe from your iTunes store, as it helped me know what to aim for to get to the next step towards purchase.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

OK, that worked. I think things got convoluted because of the combination of my not already having an account and the initial price showing up in British Sterling.

The first time the login/create dialog came up, I got thrown back to Square One after switching to US/Dollars. This is probably what triggered the series of confusing steps.

Hopefully the next time I purchase from iTunes Store, it will be easier and quicker.

Earlier today, I bought from Amazon's online store as a close friend from high school released his first solo album only in that format. I had to download a helper app for that, but overall it seemed a quicker and safer experience than iTunes Store, which worries me a bit in terms of potential for people hacking into personal information and false charges. I hope that is not the case. I felt altogether safer and more comfortable with the Amazon MP3 experience earlier tonight.

the initial price showing up in British Sterling.
:idea:

Wow, three hours and it's only 1/3 of the way done downloading. They must have bandwidth control at the iTunes Store, since I have Broadband Internet.

I would love to have this. Alas, I have EVDO service for my (pseudo) high speed internet (the price you pay for living in a rural area.....and I'm lucky I can even get this!). 2.81GB would eat up about 60% of my monthly allotment of GB's. It would also take a long time to download. Wish I could purchase this on a disc. Darn. :(

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

It's a great deal for sure, but I was surprised it took almost seven hours to download, as I can download multiple sample libraries that add up to the same size, in well under two hours (if not under an hour).

I suppose the iTunes Store, and the supporting technology in iTunes itself, is economised for server load and other issues, and was designed with the assumption that people would only be downloading small amounts of data at a time.

Whenever I buy from iTunes, it always comes close to filling the pipe on my end. I've never noticed a speed issue nor bandwidth limiting of any significance.

It's a great deal for sure, but I was surprised it took almost seven hours to download, as I can download multiple sample libraries that add up to the same size, in well under two hours (if not under an hour).

I suppose the iTunes Store, and the supporting technology in iTunes itself, is economised for server load and other issues, and was designed with the assumption that people would only be downloading small amounts of data at a time.

Millions of i-Tunes gift cards are given at Xmas, and kids aren't back in school yet, so this is peak volume time. I've never downloading anything this big from them, but a typical track doesn't usually take long.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. I didn't realise kids are out of school right now, as California has such weird staggered sessions ever since they went to the full-year calendar and a lottery system.

Downloading now... thanks so much for the tip.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived