Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on small active PA speakers

konaboy

I'm currently researching a PA system. The application is as my personal PA for synth/piano + vocals. It will be used in rehearsal room with a drummer (light pop music), possibly later for small parties, receptions etc.

I'm interested in the 10" size class, so that would be models like the Mackie SRM350 or JBL EON10 G2. I will be using a Mackie mixer.

Which of these two models is the best, any alternatives I should consider?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks. We can rule out QSC, twice the price of the other contenders and I can't justify the extra expense for my casual non-professional requirements.

Must look into the stage-pas again. I have previously disliked it due to the noisy cooling fan. But then it was different because I had intended to use it also in the home as a monitor.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I heard them when they were first released, and they sounded OK.

Great bang for buck. The mixer section should be good as Yammie mixers are some of the best consumer-grade mixers in the business (their pro-level mixers aren't bad either) and deliver more neutral sound at that level than most of the contendors, with emphasis on features that really matter.

I would definitely recommend them over the Mackies but can't comment on the QSC's as I haven't heard their recent offerings.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have a pair of the JBL EON 10G2 (and also the 15G2), well pleased with them. I was looking for a scalable rig that was also moderate in weight. Use several different Tapco (Mackie) mixers, a Kurzweil K2661 and PC3 with them, several SM57's.

If funds are available in the next year, I may set up the 15's at church and get a pair of QSC K12's - but will have to have a listen to them driven by similar boards first.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use the Mackies (with a Mackie Mixer) and am quite happy so far with them. They are on stage monitors for my submix only so I do not compete with large guitar amps to fill the room.....they would never stand up to that!

The QSC's were not out when I purchased these so I never made that comparison.....you should consider all offerings for the price this class of powered speaker costs.

You can log on to the Mackie forum, read the threads and get a good feel for what SR guys, and other users are experiencing with the products. There have been no significant user complaints on the 350's, however, other Mackie products seem to have some issues.

I also use the JBl 510s and love them. You can typically pick up the demo models for about $430 each....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived