Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free Gift from East West Quantum Leap

Bill Heins

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also a great opportunity for for anybody interested in buying their larger libraries to try the PLAY engine on their machine. After hearing so many complaints about PLAY, I was very surprised to find it working quite smoothly for me under Logic 9 and snow leopard.

Not a lot of patches, but hey, it's free!

GIGO

What sounds are they giving away?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Thanks for the tip!

Now a newbie question. It says "works with most sequencer/notation hosts including Ableton Live, Cubase/Nuendo, Digital Performer, Finale, FL Studio, Garageband, Logic, Pro Tools, Sibelius, Sonar, etc."

How do I install it in GarageBand? I've never added anything to the original GarageBand.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

So I downloaded the three parts for mac but none of them are opening with disk manager... anyone have an idea of how to get this installed? Do I need to download something else?

Hi MM, I' on a Mac and when I downloaded two of the files wouldn't open for me either. I had to download them again and now everything's just dandy. :) I think the files are just so large that the opportunity for corruption is great.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks for the tip!

Now a newbie question. It says "works with most sequencer/notation hosts including Ableton Live, Cubase/Nuendo, Digital Performer, Finale, FL Studio, Garageband, Logic, Pro Tools, Sibelius, Sonar, etc."

How do I install it in GarageBand? I've never added anything to the original GarageBand.

Never mind. Found it.

Double-click the tracks header (or select the track and choose Track > Show Track Info).

Click the Details triangle to show the track generator and effect controls.

Choose DLSMusicDevice from the Generator pop-up menu.

Click the Edit (pencil) button for the generator to show the generator Preset window.

Choose the Soundfont you want to use from the Sound Bank pop-up menu.

When you are finished, close the Preset window and the Track Info pane.

Play and record the Soundfont as you would any other Software Instrument.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Thanks for the tip!

You don't actually do anything to Garageband directly. For most AU plugins you run the plugin's installer just as you would for any other program. The installation makes the plugins available to any programs that can use AU plugins including Garageband. In Garageband you access them the way you would any other AU plug, in the Software Instrument track's "Sound Generator" drop-down menu (if you're using the latest version of Garageband).

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks for the tip!

You don't actually do anything to Garageband directly. For most AU plugins you run the plugin's installer just as you would for any other program. The installation makes the plugins available to any programs that can use AU plugins including Garageband. In Garageband you access them the way you would any other AU plug, in the Software Instrument track's "Sound Generator" drop-down menu (if you're using the latest version of Garageband).

Thanks. It's a little different in GB '08, but I think I'm on the right track.

BTW, there's a new biography of Monk out. I read a review earlier today here:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100111/yaffe/single

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Got it! Thanks for the help. It's a little different in the GB '08, although I did not have to install it in the /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/ folder and it showed up as "Play" in the Instrument Generator and not under "DLSMusicDevice" as stated below.

Here is the GB Help entry:

You can use Soundfonts in GarageBand. Soundfonts are a type of software instrument based on audio samples. A variety of commercial and free Soundfonts are available on the Internet and from other sources.

Before you can use a Soundfont, you must install it on your computer in the /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/ folder. After installing a Soundfont, you can play and record it in a Software Instrument track.

To use a Soundfont in a Software Instrument track:

Double-click the tracks header (or select the track and choose Track > Show Track Info).

Click the Details triangle to show the track generator and effect controls.

Choose DLSMusicDevice from the Generator pop-up menu.

Click the Edit (pencil) button for the generator to show the generator Preset window.

Choose the Soundfont you want to use from the Sound Bank pop-up menu.

When you are finished, close the Preset window and the Track Info pane.

Play and record the Soundfont as you would any other Software Instrument.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Hi MM, I' on a Mac and when I downloaded two of the files wouldn't open for me either. I had to download them again and now everything's just dandy. :) I think the files are just so large that the opportunity for corruption is great.

I lost internet connection a couple of times while downloading so I bet that is it. Dang they took so long to download I guess I'll just have to try them all again since none open.

What sounds are they giving away?

Everything you need to produce a quick Christmas Carol :) I haven't read up on their nomenclature but there a few string sections in a couple of articulations, a few brass, some woodwinds (English horn and bassoon), and the Xmas necessaries like chimes and sleigh bells etc. They all sound great!

I haven't had stuck notes but I've had notes drop out for no discernible reason.

Yep, notes tend to stick after a while when I use it with Digital Performer, but it works perfectly for me in Garageband.

It may be because I can open the program within Garageband, but for some reason, I have to open it separately with Digital Performer. It may be something I'm doing wrong.

The samples sound great.

I downloaded the PC files last night. Very large files, over 1.5 GB total. I'm not used to 15 minute downloads.

I ran the main install from file 1. tried to install 2 & 3 and got errors, but it could have been since I hadn't rebooted after the PLAY install (file 1). I'll try reinstalling 2 & 3 tonight, then see if the VST files work.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived