Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Avatar

Dave Bryce

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading what you guys said, it sounds like the best plan for me is to wait until after Christmas and see it in IMAX 3D. It's very tempting to see Avatar locally, but I've experienced all the theaters in my area and none of them would do a film like this justice.

Thanks forumites! :thu:

they finally got the humanoids' eyes to not be dead

I think Joe actually had the eye thing down pretty well in LOTR with Gollum...but yeah, they really got that right on this film. :thu:

The thing that kills me is a technique called subsurface scattering, which affects the way virtual light penetrates virtual skin like is does in real life. Joe got a technical achievement Oscar for co-developing the technique for Gollum.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'm waiting for the BluRay on this one.

I've read spoiler-rich reviews, and in terms of story and theme I'm not attracted to it.

Don't wait for the Blu-Ray. Go see this in 3D! preferably in IMAX if it's available. Cameron has created a landmark that deserves to be viewed in the format he created it for. I have issues with the "outsider goes native and saves the local savages" storyline however the way that story is presented is nothing less than groundbreaking.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I'd love to see it in 3D. Only one problem: I don't have "stereo vision". My eyes tend to focus individually on objects which makes my depth perception terrible. I have to work very hard to use both eyes together on an image so the "Avatar" 3D technology will probably be completely lost on me. Kinda sucks.

Holy crap. I just realized last night that Colonel Quaritch was played by the same guy (Steven Boyd) who played Ike Clanton in Tombstone.

What vivid characters that guy portrays. And when did he get so bulked up?

I think you were referring to Stephen Lang.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002332/

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Holy crap. I just realized last night that Colonel Quaritch was played by the same guy (Steven Boyd) who played Ike Clanton in Tombstone.

What vivid characters that guy portrays. And when did he get so bulked up?

I think you were referring to Stephen Lang.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002332/

Sigh. And I even looked him up on IMDB before posting. Somewhere between my eyes switching from one window to another, my brain forgot what it saw.

Moe

---

mate stubb,

He's the guy that played in the Steven Segal flick Fire Down Below, as Segal's girl interest's brother. He does look like the cat who play played IC in Tombstone though.

I saw Avatar Monday night myself. There's actually kind of a love story going on also. The wife appreciated that. I thought the movie exceeded all the hype. JMHO.

John Sr.

they finally got the humanoids' eyes to not be dead

I think Joe actually had the eye thing down pretty well in LOTR with Gollum...but yeah, they really got that right on this film. :thu:

The thing that kills me is a technique called subsurface scattering, which affects the way virtual light penetrates virtual skin like is does in real life. Joe got a technical achievement Oscar for co-developing the technique for Gollum.

dB

Apparently James Cameron wanted to make this film after Titanic, but the CG would have been way to expensive and didn't look good enough yet. Once he saw Gollum in LOTR, he decided the CG technology had finally progressed enough to make Avatar.

If you live in a major city with lots of theaters, you'll see there are a variety of 3d presentations: IMAX 3D, Digital 3D, REAL 3D, and plain ole 3D. Does anyone know what makes "Real 3d" different?

I saw it in Digital 3d, and then saw it in IMAX 3D. I think I'm going to see it once more in "real 3d".

I was shocked to learn there are only 2500 3d "screens" in the US.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I saw the movie this afternoon with my 13-year-old son. Very entertaining, and excellent CG. We saw the "Real 3D" version.

The latest charges are more serious as the summary of 'Call Me Joe' a classic sci-fi story from 1957 is pretty much spot on.

Synopsis of Call Me Joe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_me_joe

Except for the fact that a disabled character is one of the "operators" and a principal character, the rest of the plot is quite different. Not a ripoff; perhaps an homage.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Where did they find so many tall actors
The height and thinness of the Na'vi is done in CG using normal actors (and probably not as many actors as there are people in the crowd scenes).

I saw Avatar in 3d this weekend and I must say that is has been a long time since I was this impressed with a movie. This movie delivers on all fronts!

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Segal lost me after "Under Seige".

Me too. Was just trying to make another connection to the actor.

John

If Steven Seagal was in Avatar I would go. :whistle:

JUST KIDDING!

I tried to go early New Years day, but the theater was sold out!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

After Avatar, I was thinking that film-making technology has now evolved enough that someone can do Burroughs' Mars (Barsoom) books and Dan Simmons' _Ilium_ and _Olympos_.

Apparently Pixar has the rights to the Burroughs works and is about to start production on a live-action version, and may update their methods after Avatar's success: http://io9.com/5432469/how-avatar-has-changed-pixars-john-carter-of-mars

Avatar has now exceeded $1B (yep, one billion) in global box office in just 17 days since it's release.

That's astonishing.

Noah

When the IMAX theater in my area is charging $15.50 per ticket with no matinee prices, it's a little less astonishing.

I still haven't seen this pic, because all holiday season that theater has had every showing sold out for days in advance. I'll probably get in there sometime this week. Now that school has started there should be some seats opening up.

I was surprised at how well and hassle free the 3D experience was. The glasses were so much better than those funky red and green ones, and they fit well over my rather thick glasses. The 3D effects worked well and didn't give me a headache. The attention to detail in art and set design, design of the world as a whole, was very good.

The things I didn't like (in addition to the screenplay and story) were, I think, concessions to a large mass market audience. It seemed to me the alien's culture and society were based on those of Native Americans in general, and that was probably done because they figured the audience would need a familiar concept of aliens - a more realistic alien culture would actually be alien and hard to understand is my guess. Also, 150 years in the future, for machine guns and rockets to be two of the main military technologies - maybe this was because it was more dramatic to represent visually than what will exist, as well as easily understandable. Think 150 years in the past, compare rifles and cannons with advanced military technology of today.

If you look at the history of predicting the future, often the predictions, viewed from the vantage point of the future, show that the predictor's concepts and ideas were very much of their time, and tell us more about that time than their predictions told their contemporaries about the future. It will be interesting to see Avatar in 50 years (I'm guess most of us won't be around in 150 years :-)

The good news is that the technologies Cameron used in making this film will start to filter out to all film makers, just like most technology development - starts as only affordable by a few, ends up as standard affordable technology used by the majority of people in that field.

Archived