Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

True Blood...Not OT

Steve Nathan

My daughter loves this show on HBO called True Blood. Last night I forced myself to sit through as much as I could stand. I've seen better acting/dialog/direction in high school plays (and I'm being kind :sleep:)....but, and here's why it's not OT.

About 10 years ago I played on a record that went nowhere. Nice guy, good singer, decent writer, but for whatever reason, it never made it past the radio gatekeepers. I cashed my session check and that was that. Last night I discovered that a song from that record is the theme song to this awful TV show. :)

I said something to my wife and she said "Oh yeah, I think we got a check for that". I looked and sure enough, the (dreaded) Musician's Union got me nearly $600 bucks for it, with more to come if it's picked up for more seasons (as much as I disliked it, it's sure to be a long running hit!).

Please don't hit back with those "the union sucks, the union only works for 10 guys, the union didn't get me any jobs" posts. I know how nearly everyone around here feels about the union already. But I wanted to point out that any musician, anywhere who plays on a recording (even if it's just a local band regional record), has the potential for future income if they're on a contract. You never know what someone someday may decide is a great song for a commercial, TV show or movie soundtrack.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I are huge fans of the show. It's one of those campy shows that doesn't take itself too seriously. You have to know the characters in order to get it.

I really like the theme song. My wife has downloaded it. Hopefully you are getting royalties on that as well.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

so, in "do bad things with you", its your keys, cool.

That's my beloved C2 :cool:

At first I though the track might be a "re-cut", but once the second verse organ fills came in I knew it was me. :D

It's not royalties, but AFM "New Use" payments I'll get. It's one of the great perks. Play once, get paid again and again. :laugh:

I know how nearly everyone around here feels about the union already.
I noticed you said "nearly." I don't have an opinion, at least not yet. :)

I think it's cool you're getting something out of this! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think it's cool you're getting something out of this! thu

And it gets better :laugh:

As I sit here typing, in the other room I hear them re-running the ACM Awards show (from last May)on CBS. In a few weeks, I'll get some checks for the tracks they used. :o

Forgive me for beating that Union drum again, but Damn....it's nice to get paid even once for a record, but this will be the third time I'll get paid for each of those songs!

Hey, I've returned to edit this post. As soon as I posted it I began thinking that it might sound like I'm bragging about how much money I make. I'm not.

I'm always looking for ways to demonstrate that when groups of musicians stick together, the Union works for them. Where musicians only look out for themselves (and undercut each other for gigs), the Union can't help.

I was unaware of getting performance royalty payments for simply being on a recording before I read an article in a back issue of Electronic Musician. I always thought only the writers got royalty payments for airplay.

That is indeed cool Steve, and glad you are making us aware of income possibilities that many of us may not even know about.

I thought about posting something about that after I read that article, but... it is much better hearing it from one of us who is actually getting the checks in the mail. :thu:

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

My wife is totally addicted to True Blood. I'm less enamoured but I've always thought the theme song rocks. Really nice organ work there, Steve!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I went to youtube to hear the tune. Cool tune - love the C2 on it Steve. Also like the Guitar work.

I have never seen the show, nor will I if it is anything like the intro. It gave me the heebies.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Can someone provide a link to the theme on YouTube? All I'm finding are clips from the show, which I'm not interested in (especially because I don't have HBO. Why get interested in a show I can't watch?).

Thanks!

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks!

Great song, great organ.

But wow, some of those clips in that sequence are a bit much. If I decide I want the song I'll buy it from the Jace Everett album or get the whole thing.

(BTW, Steve, according to the credits both on iTunes and allmusic.com, that album was released in 2005. Did the record take that long to get out, are the dates wrong, or is your memory foggy? ;) )

(BTW, Steve, according to the credits both on iTunes and allmusic.com, that album was released in 2005.

Can't say I remember it taking longer than usual to come out. It seemed like longer ago to me than 05, but I'm "at that age" you know. :D

The El Guitar is J.T. Corenfloss, a hugely talented player. Nashville's has so many great players who are barely known (outside of session circles).

Just to clear up for accuracy:

I am not getting "Royalties". Royalties are percentage payments based on sales. Typically artists, producers, songwriters and publishers make there money from royalties.

As a session musician, I am paid a one time fee, a Union scale wage for playing on the record. If a song from that record is later used in another medium (like a movie, commercial or TV show), I get another one time payment based on it's "New Use".

It has nothing to do with sales. You get the same scale, whether the original record sold millions or was a dud.

FWIW, when I went looking for the song on Youtube under Jace Everett, the first video I caught was:

Nowhere near as good without the Hammond. Have to say that the song kinda drew me into the show, and your opening lick on the second verse had alot to do with it. Great stuff, Steve.

Show is total camp..but kinda fun.

"May you stay...forever young."

I dig the theme to "Hung" as well.... It sounds like an old record, but I guess it's a fairly new tune by The Black Keys.

I like that one, too. Even the way they recorded that lead vox makes that tune happen. I'd have never thought to do that. Maybe it was a mistake that worked.

Steve: Kinda thought that was you on the recording. Amazing tone, perfect amount of tube crunch. And, as always, the perfect part. Great work!

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Congrats Steve. I've seen the show a few times. :thu:

Just to clear up for accuracy:

I am not getting "Royalties". Royalties are percentage payments based on sales. Typically artists, producers, songwriters and publishers make there money from royalties.

As a session musician, I am paid a one time fee, a Union scale wage for playing on the record. If a song from that record is later used in another medium (like a movie, commercial or TV show), I get another one time payment based on it's "New Use".

"New Uses" are limited by time, like say, 1 season for a TV show, or a 13 week cycle for a commercial. Each time the show is renewed, or the commercial runs for another 13 week cycle, you get another "New Use" payment.

It has nothing to do with sales. You get the same scale, whether the original record sold millions or was a dud.

This hasnt been my experience. For new use, I got one check per new use project, perhaps I am mis-interpreting what you are saying?

I played on the uber-hits "Losing my Religion" and "Shiny Happy People" with REM. They used those songs in a zillion things, but I only got one "new use" payment per TV show/movie. One of them is in the show "Friends", which has probably aired thousands of times. I only get paid for the first. Are you saying that you are getting more than that?

This hasnt been my experience. For new use, I got one check per new use project, perhaps I am mis-interpreting what you are saying?

No, your right. I realized on my way to dinner that I'd mixed up the payments you get for recurring advertising cycles with "New Use". My wife confirmed that I shouldn't expect any more True Blood checks, regardless of how many seasons it runs.

Now if they make a True Blood movie......... :cool:

Okay here is the article from E. Musician about Soundexchange Soundexchange.com an organization that tracks performance payments for recording artists.

Tell me what you guys think about this. I had not heard of this organization before reading this article.

Hopefully some of you are owed a ton of money :wink:

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived