Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Second KB Question

Fusker

Ok, these never get old, right? :rimshot:

I have a Motif XS8 and am quite pleased with it. But yes, it's a tad hefty for various rehearsals. When I got the XS8, I wasn't really planning on gigging out, but now suddenly I'm on 2 and a half 'projects'.

So here's the question, I want to spend say $1200 (or less)on a more light weight option (70+ keys) for rehearsals...and get a second KB to compliment my XS8 for gigs...what should I be looking at? I'm talking covering the basics of at least 'decent' piano, clav, wurli, and organ.

Electro 3 would be my first choice, but when I see KB's like the JUNO Stage, it makes me wonder if something half the price of the Nord would suffice.

I know ideally I should try and draw my own conclusions, but I'm in sticksville and even the 2 larger markets I just visited didn't have anything that wasn't a casio, yamaha or roland....limited.

Is there an option out there for $1200 less that won't anger me after using the XS8? Or should I hold out for the Nord? Seems like over transporting the XS8 isn't the best idea, and it is a bit of a lug for a couple rehearsals a week.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For less than $1k, I would buy a Kurzweil SP2 over a Roland Juno anything.

While the SP2 has 'other' sounds, it is marketed as a stage piano.

Still, it could function as a 2nd KB along with the XS8. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Unless you completely, utterly need 88 keys, trade down to the XS7. Problem solved.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

The Electro 2 73 just dropped to $1100 in the garage sale. The piano is certainly workable (some might argue), the clav, EP's, and Organ are killer. Just a thought.

Ok, I want to spend say $1200 (or less)on a more light weight option (70+ keys) for rehearsals...and get a second KB to compliment my XS8 for gigs...what should I be looking at? I'm talking covering the basics of at least 'decent' piano, clav, wurli, and organ.

A used Electro 2 73 is what I thought of first, bit weary of spending $1,000 plus, sight unseen on something 7 years old and road-weary....but that's just me.

I tend to buy things new in general, much to the pain of my pocket-book. Good suggestions!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived