Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new LogicStudio is here!

EricG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems nice. BTW, do any of you guys use the previous Logic? I want to buy the new version and use live the Mainstage-it really gives me a huge GAS, but i want to hear from you before i buy.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I was seriously hoping Apple wouldn't have a new version of Logic for a while. I've barely scratched the surface of Logic 8, and now I have GAS for Logic 9, especially after watching the videos in the "what's new" section.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Damn that was fast! I've just been starting to have a sense of mastery over Logic 8.

Man there are some pretty sweet features I see watching these videos. The flex tool looks incredible and like a real time saver, as does the ability to quantize audio.

The GAS is starting to build!!! Kevin, quick, write a Logic 9 book!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bounce in place, drum replacement. I'm starting to salivate more and more.

Someone on another forum said this seems much more like Logic 8.5 or something. Looking at the features I tend to agree. Nothing wrong with that though for a $199 upgrade. In fact I prefer it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Darn you apple!

First I pick up Komplete, and now this? I can't be spending all this money!

... I wonder how long I'll last before I break down and get this. Maybe I'll wait for a 9.1 update then move up. Of course, Logic 8 never made it past 8.0.2, so I might be waiting for a while.

At first glance I was a it disappointed. No soft synth updates. I mean the Logic stuff is how many years old by now? But then I realized I have Komplete coming so I shouldn't complain. I'm going to have fun comparing the Logic guitar stuff and Guitar rig.

GIGO

Intel only. Time to upgrade

Yes, it's time to upgrade. My dual 2.0GHz G5 has served me well the last 5-6 years. This change just had to come... but it's gonna hurt on my creditcard pretty bad... Ooouch.

The new flex tool looks great.

Apple store didn't know what the hell I was talking about. The girl working had to talk to a manager to see if they had any in stock. They don't. So I ordered the upgrade online.

I'm stoked. But it seems more like an 8.X upgrade than an X.0.

Intel only. Time to upgrade

Yes, it's time to upgrade. My dual 2.0GHz G5 has served me well the last 5-6 years. This change just had to come... but it's gonna hurt on my creditcard pretty bad... Ooouch.

The new flex tool looks great.

I've been holding out as long as I can before I buy the new one, but it's time. Once software starts leaving me behind, I have to make the move. Not crazy about it 'cause it's gonna really cost.

I use DP most of the time, but use logic with a couple people that bring stuff in that use logic. It's just easier for them if we stay there. My son lives at home and runs Logic in his room on his 8 core, so I'll buy this upgrade before I upgrade my machine. He prefers it over DP. I've been using DP since it came out, so I'm very comfortable with it. i did leave it behind for almost a year when logic 8 hit, but went back to using DP, I just like it better. I'm still on a G5 -2.5. it runs faithfully everyday, so I hate to change it out and re-authorize all the plugins and VI's. What a pita and hard to give up the down time, but it's comin' I'm afraid.

Amazing you've lasted this long with the G5 is what I'm thinking Linwood. But you know your way around all that stuff very well so I'm sure you're a master of using CPUs efficiently.

I pretty much track it/print it and move on so I don't have a lot of Vi's open at once. I hate this because if I wanna make a change it's a bit a of a pain. I've got tc powercore to handle some plugins, so I can do my jingle gig easily with the G5. It's when I try to do anything with vsl or play that I really run into trouble. Everything almost comes to a halt.

Perhaps a deadhorse, but I have to ask, I'm (in the last year since I got back into it) on Cubase on a PC. I typically have used PC's the last 10 years (non-music apps), but am certainly not a 'loyalist' to computer brands.

I know historically, Macs have been the way to go for music applications...is this still the case? Since Macs can now run as PC's as well, is it a no brainer to go Mac if cost isn't the primary objective? Clearly, Macs are still a good 30% more expensive than PC's. So what say you? Is the Mac experience at least 30% better thn the PC experience when it comes to musicapps?

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I was hoping MainStage 2.0 would include a more efficient use of soft synths. It appears to be the same as the original MS. I want to be able to have a SINGLE instance of each soft synth on its own MIDI channel. Also, MS traps all MIDI program changes for its own use so you can't use them to change presets on NI and other soft synths. If any of these issues are addressed in 2.0 I'd like to know, otherwise I'll just stick with Ableton Live which does what I need.

Busch.

I was hoping MainStage 2.0 would include a more efficient use of soft synths. It appears to be the same as the original MS. I want to be able to have a SINGLE instance of each soft synth on its own MIDI channel. Also, MS traps all MIDI program changes for its own use so you can't use them to change presets on NI and other soft synths. If any of these issues are addressed in 2.0 I'd like to know, otherwise I'll just stick with Ableton Live which does what I need.

Busch.

Seriously. Mainstage maxes out with just a couple instances of different instruments. Thus far it hasn't been a viable performance option for me unfortunately.

here's from Logic Pro Help forum regarding Mainstage 2...sorry to anyone who I may offend by posting content from another site. sorry so long.

by Herr gunstig

Some of the new features that I found:

New external instrument channel strip lets you send midi out and receive audio in on the same channel strip -- like a combination of Logic's external instrument and aux channel strips bundled up in one mega channel strip. You can send program change, bank change and midi clock to the port/channel defined on the external instrument channel strip.

The external instrument channel strip shows up as a keyboard layer, so you can layer it with other sounds, defining specific key and velocity ranges. Floating splits also work with the external instrument channel strip, so that the external instrument is just like using a normal software instrument. I can map knobs to send any standard midi controller into the external instrument channel strip.

I can create multiple mappings per on screen object. Each mapping supports a transformation graph so that I can maintain a relationship between multiple parameters automatically with a single knob for example I can cross fade by bringing up the volume on one channel strip while simultaneously decreasing the volume on another channel strip. Then I can turn the knob back and forth like a madman! Even cooler is that I can control a software instrument parameter while simultaneously sending a midi controller to an external instrument -- this lets me control an internal and external instrument simultaneously with a single knob.

Beats in patches appear to be properly synchronized. There appears to be a hidden transport where I can press the space bar to turn on and off (it appears there's a toolbar item I can add too that will display the status, and an action I can map to for a workspace object). If I put ultrabeat in two separate patches with sync mode off, I can switch between the patches without loosing a beat -- i.e., the two ultrabeats are beat synced. It's quite fun.

I tried Reason as a rewire slave, and fed midi to it through an external instrument channel strip. MainStage picked up all of my custom midi controller names.

Patch switching is now super fast. On my edirol PCR-800, one of the knobs sends program change on every knob-detent. I can spin the knob and MainStage keeps up on my MacBook Pro.

MainStage appears to know how to send midi back out to certain hardware. WIth my Waves GTR Ground connected, the "Send value to" drop down has a port selected in layout mode. I get fancy information on my display on the device -- it says MAINSTA on my display when I start up (I guess there aren't enough characters on the display to show MAINSTAGE), and then the parameter names are shown and change dynamically above each button as I switch patches (each parameter name is abbreviated by a three letter shortening). My Kenton Killamix shows the right values when I switch through patches (the Killamix has endless rotary knobs).

There are a couple of new objects. The VU meter is particularly cool, as the needle has an analog looking motion to it. You have to see it.

There's a layer editor that lets me edit the floating splits all in one place.

There are some options for choosing midi inputs for a multitimbral channel strip (presumably for the EVB).

The tuner is much easier to use now. It is less jumpy and has cool fading LEDs.

The patch selector can be mapped to show and change to different regions if I import an appropriate audio file with markers from Logic.

I can now display the current time by mapping a parameter text object to the current time action mapping

I can create a channel strip, go to copy and then choose "paste as alias." MainStage now shares that channel strip among multiple patches, so that I can save on resources if I try to run a huge sampled instrument like Ivory.

There's a new command editor that lets me remap any available command to any keyboard shortcut I want to create.

There's a new option to save all of my project assets together with the concert file.

There are some new options for pickup and relative modes for knobs. With pickup mode, when I switch to a patch where the knob is in a different place, I can rotate the knob freely until I hit the value that is shown on screen, at which point the knob "picks up" and starts adjust the value. The relative mode appears to change the value immediately, but relatively -- it doesn't jump to the value on my external hardware, but rather moves as if my hardware was already at the spot shown on screen.

All of the tuning tables are there, including hermode.

by mmm42

I have to add a "few" things you "forgot" to mention:

A cool coverflow 3D or 2D list browser which allows easy selection of layouts you want to use.

The new layouts also look better...

MainStage 1 had a 100 mapping limit, MainStage 2 does not have a limit on mappings, making e.g. an 8 channel mixer possible (which is one of the layouts shipped with MainStage 2)

Much better editor for the layout mode with alignment guides and alignment functions, instead of the grid alignment in version 1.

Grouped controls which are blocks of controllers can be easily created, but MainStage 2 ships with with 60 controls/grouped controls, so a layout can be very quickly created.

Custom backgrounds for easy creating of stomp boxes or just to "spiff up" a layout.

Multiple selection of objects to change several parameters at once

Support for motor fader or LEDs on certain controllers (Behringer BCF or the Killamix)

Custom support for many devices, like the Appogee GiO (RGB LEDs above the buttons) or even the Korg KONTROL49 with multi-color LCDs, which display the parameter name and value of your own mappings. No configuration necessary, it will just work!

Support for MIDI MMC and MIDI real-time messages to support more controller without tricks

Support for more relative controller modes, also to support more controllers out of the box

Custom MIDI controller names and note names for specific MIDI devices or ReWire slaves

A patch browser instead of just a channel strip browser

A browser for plug-in settings

MainStage can now be limited to listen to MIDI clock only on a specific MIDI port

MainStage can now be limited to listen to MIDI program change on a specific MIDI port and channel

Pan Law support

Better on-screen keyboard/musical typing (like GarageBand 5)

Velocity scaling for the input and notes

High-latency plugins from Logic are now also available

optional display of the latency of a single channel strip under the channel strip

Display of the round-trip latency for Core Audio

Multi-timbral support for the EVB3, which can also be used to change the MIDI channel and/or let the same channel strip listen to several external keyboards at the same time

Send of Bank select and/or program change to external MIDI instruments on patch change

Emitting a MIDI beat clock to external MIDI instruments

Support for MIDI Start/Stop/Continue/Reset real-time messages

Expression is now supported on all Logic software instruments

Multi-Out support

Aux on a patch level for complex routing

The output in multiple selected channel strips can be changed with one click

More than 256 channel strips per concert (the limit is now 1024)

Feedback protection on audio channel strips

Re-order of channel strips

Many additional actions (like displaying the current time, MIDI clock, Play/Stop, Play, Stop, Continue, Record)

Save as project to consolidate all files in one concert

I don't even want to mention all the features Playback and Loopback have...

Also we should not forget:

Significant performance improvements overall!!!!

Switching patch is now extremely fast - in fact the current patch can be mapped to a knob (via an action mapping), which allows browsing through patches with it. The actual switching is faster than you can turn the knob, well limited by the speed of MIDI...

Much higher stability if the CPU load is at maximum (while it is clearly NOT recommended to do that)

MainStage 2 is no longer strictly single-core

Much improved memory handling, including support for aliases to channel strips to be able to use AudioUnits, which require a significant amount of memory

Sync has been improved

Oh, and yes: All known/reported bugs from MainStage 1 have been fixed

Just got back from my university bookstore. Academic price is $149 (just like v.8), shipping 3-5 days.

Are you positive about that? Everyone on the Logicprohelp forum is saying that the academic version is $449 - a mere $50 off. I'd love to believe what you're saying, I just hope you can confirm it!

Thanks Littidy,

It looks like my two main bitches have been addressed:

"I can create a channel strip, go to copy and then choose "paste as alias." MainStage now shares that channel strip among multiple patches, so that I can save on resources if I try to run a huge sampled instrument like Ivory."

AND

"MainStage can now be limited to listen to MIDI program change on a specific MIDI port and channel."

Busch.

Archived