Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your last synth?

zyzik

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My last synth was a Motif XS.

by "last synth" I meant final not recent or current.

Then this is an utterly impossible question to answer, and is rather inane. You're asking people to predict the future (or their own imminent demise).

I'll hazard a guess that I'll be buying the Kurzanaha K9000* some time in 2034. How's that? :rolleyes:

* Kurzanaha is the conglomeration of Kurzweil, Roland and Yamaha that occurs when the machines take over Kurzweil and completely assimilate all other major synth manufacturers; Korg unfortunately succumbs to the effects of Chaos (err... Kaoss) Theory and spontaneously implodes in upon itself.

My last hardware synth was a Nord Lead III that I sold in 2001. I've been using software on a Mac ever since starting with Reaktor (which I no longer use). My main synth now is Sculpture in Logic Pro and I just ordered Waldorf Largo. I'm really not into virtual or real analog anymore.

OB Xpander. Sold for cash when I was first married and struggling to a studio guy collecting the proper toys for his NYC studio. He didn't look like he knew or cared to know about the OB and I didn't want to see the old girl go down like that. . . .but my wife and the piano was calling, saying 'time to sit down now'!

selling it helped me get my head back into a more solid musical perspective again. In a way a swang song of sorts in regards to synths for me.

but selling it also helped me escape from the vortex that was/is the OB Xpander! It's modular gear wrapped in a soft gooey software architecture interface center. Tones of fun! I loved the stock patch that permutated in odd events, all different (fun to put on to go to bed w/) like a weird clock endlessly changing it's tick. I think when I heard that, I had gotten the ideas behind the axe!

It could sound digital without breaking a sweat! made ya wonder!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Romplers notwithstanding, I have totally deluded myself into believing the last analog synth I will ever need is the Moog Voyager. I would likely go for the "Old School" model because the expanders and associated patching cannot be seen by the digital memory anyway. However, I did hear they were going to discontinue that model(if not already).

Now all I have to do is delude myself into believing I can afford it.......I'm pretty sure I can manage that! :crazy:

Memorymoog: That's the one that'll kill me.

Every time I think I want another analog I think back to the time that I was traveling with a MemoryMoog. Every two weeks I would open it up and tune all 18 osc's for pitch, range and scale using a little bitty screwdriver. :freak:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

LAST synth? You mean it ever stops?

right. i don't see an end any time soon :eek::freak: . tho i could say i'm almost there as far as analogics. in theory, i still wish for a old osc board minimoog, xpander and a sml (hopefully macbeth x-module) moog-ish modular. the latter has most chance of happening atm.

after that, i think i'd mostly be interested in something digital, new, very different.. like Kyma Pacarana or if (in my dream scenario) something comes out on the resynthesis front like a new Nueron, in a new DSP-heavy incarnation. that be awesome.

@matt: that MOTM looks just phenomenal. good work. :thu:

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

The last synth purchased was my Motif XS7... G.A.S. is a terminal disease..it rarely, if ever, goes away... It will NOT be my last synth and as long as they produce them, I will keep purchasing them.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

My current synth (thus, the last one I bought, about three years ago)is a Yamaha S90ES. I like it a lot.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the new XS technology yet. One thing that disappoints me about the new XS line (including the soon to be released S90XS) is that there is no input for the breath-controller (BC3A). I make use of the BC3A, along with the PLG150VL plug-in board on the S90ES for saxophone sounds, and it makes half decent sounding horn patches, - for a keyboard.

I am into bringing as little equipment as possible to gigs, and that's why I like the S90ES so much. I can do everything I need to do with one keyboard.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

One thing that disappoints me about the new XS line (including the soon to be released S90XS) is that there is no input for the breath-controller (BC3A). I make use of the BC3A, along with the PLG150VL plug-in board on the S90ES for saxophone sounds, and it makes half decent sounding horn patches, - for a keyboard.

Ditto. Love the floboes and other "imaginary" models myself.

When I upgrade, it will be to a synth with bc input which offers alternate synthesis methods.

V-Synth GT, great synth.. not sure about its programmability compared to the original though (which had dedicated knobs)... seems a lot of hard work and easy just to press the wrong thing and lose what you are working on... the tone sharing thing is the main culprit...

Before that it was the Moog Voyager, and before that the RD700GX...

Not normally a fan of acquiring gear (esp when you have to move!), but it does mount up...

I'm hoping my LAST synth will be a easily upgraded implanted chip

that is wireless and automatically interfaces with any old keyboard or computer you happen to have laying around.

It would also double as a radar detector and defibrillator.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I kinda envy guitar players that they can use one guitar for 20 years or longer so I figured I'll stick with my motif XS for good.

I kinda envy keyboard players that they can use a Hammond B3 for 20 years or longer.

Or a Korg MS-20.

Or a Rhodes.

Or a Mellotron.

Or a Prophet 5.

Or a piano.

Or a harpsichord.

Or a JX-3P.

Archived