Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your last synth?

zyzik

since we know already what was your first synth ;) I wonder if it's possible to say what will be your last synth?

and I hope you won't say - a laptop...

I kinda envy guitar players that they can use one guitar for 20 years or longer so I figured I'll stick with my motif XS for good.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got a Motif ES6 recently (from Music*AL) and haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet ... still learning something new every day that just blows me away about this board!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

A laptop? Really, I haven't bought a hardware synth since my JV-90 back in '93, although I'm seriously thinking about buy a 49-key X-Station. Between Ableton Live, NI Komplete, FAW Circle and Logic I have more than enough to keep me busy synth-wise.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Working on my own design. Will probably be retired before I have the time to develop it.

Semi-Modular....

A mixed digital and analog backplane conisting of communication and audio busses, including optical.

Each module has it's own processor, so that as you add Oscillators, Filters, Data Storage, other DSP, it doesn't tax a central processor, so you are not limited by processing power or data storage capacity, only communication/transmissino bandwidth.

User Interface? Think of it like a web server. Each module serves up its controls sort of like a web page complete with graphics, etc., but in an object oriented sort of way, to where you could build your own user interface and bind controls to the objects served up by the boards (sorry, I couldn't simplify that explanation much, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about).

You could really add anything to it - analog or digital. Heck, Moog Music could sell a MiniMoog Board for it that would plug into the backplane and have all the same analog components as a MiniMoog. Whatever the next communication bus is, you could add a board that interfaces that bus protocal with the backplane. Same for data storage.

No real limitations.

Obviously by posting on the internet, I don't care if somebody else does it first - I welcome it if they can get it done before me!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I purchased a Nord Modular a few years ago. It won't be last synth, but in a sense it was! I'd look at other devices and say, pretty cool ... but I can do that with my current rig and with this new synth I won't be able to ...... It was a gas-killer!

At this point, my ultimate synth would be an updated nord modular with dedicated building blocks for sample-playback, physical modeling and convolution. Although I am tempted to add analog filtering to the list, I have obtained pretty lively results with outboard analog.

Jerry

Not a laptop but Plugzilla! A VST host similar to the Muse Receptor. What a beast! I've only had it for two nights and have lost too much sleep already. With my previous synths I always knew how many sounds I had available at my fingertips. Now I don't even know how many SYNTHS I have available.

Fear The POWER of PLUGZILLA!

<<>>

Michael

since we know already what was your first synth ;) I wonder if it's possible to say what will be your last synth?

and I hope you won't say - a laptop...

I kinda envy guitar players that they can use one guitar for 20 years or longer so I figured I'll stick with my motif XS for good.

The last synth I bought was probably 15 years ago. Pretty much anything I need to do I can handle between the Roland D-50 , Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq KS-32, or my old Moog. I have some others but they get very little.... actual no use.

Maybe if I played new pop music it would be an issue.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I got myself a Virus TI end of last year, that's my last synth so far.

Besides the TI (total integration) functionality that I enjoy very much with Cubase, this thing is easy to use but at the same time deep under the hood. The sound is huge. Not true analog? So what? Give it a listen, you'll be surprised!

I got my modular itch scratched when I built this...

Know what Moe...

I think you should move that big bastid to your living room. :D:thu:

Yeah. :snax:

What would da wife say, huh? :cool:

You could be juslike Billy!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/17/billy.joel.separation/art.billy.katie.joel.gi.jpg

Billy Joel, Wife Separating

er...

Is There Gas in the Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

.... and Billy Joel threw Christi Brinkley off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

LAST synth? You mean it ever stops? I've had better luck with Korg and E-mu than any other companies, but that's simply a subjective ear-thing after a point; those 2 do Full and Bright (respectively) to the 9s, IMO. Rolands are all but bulletproof and a pal has a Yamaha SY85 that purrs right along, let's be real.

My needs and interests have largely dovetailed with Logic 8 and its potent synth bundle, but I doubt many would argue that with each being so different in tangible ways, less than 3 different synths is a limitation. Of course, 12 can lead to divorce, so I'd say 6 or 7 was plenty. All due respect to those who dumped their relationship and amassed 20. At least you decided on your priorities, ahem. :rimshot:

I COMPLAINED BECAUSE I HAD NO FAIRLIGHT, UNTIL I MET A MAN WHO HAD NO THEREMIN.

Apologies to Donna Summer

Last synth

Last synth for love

Yes, its my last synth

I promise tonight

I need it by me,

Beside me, to guide me,

To hold me, to scold me,

cause when Im bad

Im so, so bad

So let's patch, the last synth

Let's patch, the last synth

Let's patch, this last synth tonight

Last synth, last synth for love

Yes, its my last synth

I promise tonight

A laptop? Really, I haven't bought a hardware synth since my JV-90 back in '93, although I'm seriously thinking about buy a 49-key X-Station. Between Ableton Live, NI Komplete, FAW Circle and Logic I have more than enough to keep me busy synth-wise.

I'm with you MonksDream. The hardware synths I buy just tend to become controllers for software.

Busch.

I bought a Kurzweil K2Vx right when they were being discontinued (circa 2000-2001?) and decided that until I know that synth intimately inside & out I had no business adding another synth to my arsenal. Since there's no chance of that ever happening, I'm set!

Alesis QS8 (the first model). Other than the broken mod wheel (and if anyone has advice on how to repair it I'd appreciate it!) it still does the job.

Don't feel too bad for me though, I did buy an XK3C a year and a half ago, though I don't think I'd call it a synth.

I bought a Kurzweil K2Vx right when they were being discontinued (circa 2000-2001?) and decided that until I know that synth intimately inside & out I had no business adding another synth to my arsenal. Since there's no chance of that ever happening, I'm set!

I glad I didn't think like that. About 20 years ago or so I bought a Roland SH-101. Other than using it to play the synth lead line in Funkytown I could never find a use for that thing.... but I kept buying more synthesizers. I still have that SH-101. I ought to sell it I guess.

last synth input wise will probably be these 2:

http://shazware.com/piano/rig.html

last synth output wise will likely be my desktop.

Right now, I'm just feeding new .SF2 and .WAV files I find and like into my ole Audigy card while I play with the not so amazing, yet still pretty ok soundfont synth on top of the Audigy.

Yeah, it's noisy. Yeah, the audio path is PRETTY minimal.

But at least there ain't no latency at all.

And I'm hoping to make up for it by learning how to play better.

We'll see how that works out for me...

I'm also workin' on some software to make the soundfont audio path a LITTLE bit easier to deal with.

I just like that .SF2 is a pretty good standard (albeit not very flexible.)

...Steve (writing my own midi sequencer - yeah, i'm crazy like that - http://pianocheetah.com)

I haven't bought a new synth for a long time - but I do have a new one.

Latest (hopefully not last) synth I got is an Evolver desktop. I'm enjoying it a whole lot, and it's giving me GAS for a MEK! :)

Since we are living in this exciting barbaric electronic age where new synthesizers leap like carp off the drawing board on a weekly basis I will keep buying till death, but my last synth related purchase that I'll keep till tomorrow is the bcr2000 Behringer USB MIDI lighted rotary controller. I find it breaths a new life with all the dials for my digital synthesizers.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

If it's actually a synth, the last synth I bought was a Roland XP-50, which I bought in 1998. I used it to gig for ten years with my band because it was the lightest keyboard I had for most of the time. I used the PsychoRhodes patch and an organ patch for almost everything.

If it's simply the last keyboard I purchased, that'd be a Nord Electro II, which I purchased probably about two years ago, and have gigged with several times. Nice keyboard.

Archived