Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Interesting Sunday Night

SilverDragonSoun

I was trying to decide whether to post this here in maybe in the humor thread.

So here I am the old dude at the young college kids party with my wife and a couple of friends. There was talk about a concert and like an idiot Im thinking live music. I failed to remember what age group I was dealing with. The word is spreading that they are ready to jam in the backyard and Im thinking when I was back there earlier I didnt remember seeing a band set up. It was about a half hour ago so maybe they just set up real fast or I might have missed it. Being in the mood for some live music I drag my wife and her friends out to the backyard. Now its important to understand my expectations are not high so I am willing to give just about any band the benefit of the doubt. Being a musician we can be so critical and judgmental so basically this band was getting a free pass. My wife even noticed and was amazed I was in such a good mood. To even further put me in a good mood, as I was walking out the backyard, a drunken guy walked right into the closed glass door and fell on his buttocks. While cruel perhaps, I did laugh and made my way to the backyard. I look up and see a big screen TV and four guys up on a makeshift stage. Their instruments, not Yamaha, Korg or something recognizable, instead I saw white plastic and rubber materials and then saw the large TV turn to the familiar look of Rock Band. I let a sigh of disappointment as I recognize the reality of the situation.

Amazingly these young adults were going crazy and cheering as the band started. ¾ of the way through the first song, as a band, they were booed off stage by the game crowd in large part due to the drummer. The guy with the mic said they didnt have their usual drummer, so performing tonight was going to be an issue. They talked and decided to go on without a drummer much to the dismay of the crowd. My wife looked at me with her big brown eyes and I knew what she wanted. Being the good husband (ok a more realistic view is being the ego driven old guy who wants to still believe he can look cool and get 20 something year old women), I make my way to the front. The band, if you can call them that, is still talking among themselves with the crowd getting restless. I get their attention and tell them I can play the drums on rockband (one of my guilty pleasures). They look at me and I swear were about to say no when the guy holding the plastic guitar, asks, can you play on the hard levels. I smile and say in my best Al Bundy imitation, Lets rock. I take the sticks and we play a few songs. Surprisingly the crowd is really into it and there are even drunk women in the front, one of them nice enough to flash us a few times. After about 45 minutes, we finish and I have lots of young people, mostly women, around me acting like groupies. I feel the back of my neck burning as if a laser was piercing my skin. I look back and see the wife and her three friends giving me the evil eye. My moment is over and I know I have to go home. The amazing thing is that in many ways, minus the actually playing of course, I really felt like a rockstar for a moment.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reminds me of the South Park episode where they get gigs playing Guitar Hero at the local bowling alley and get signed by a record label playing Guitar Hero. Stan's Dad comes out with a guitar and says "look, I can really play that song on the guitar". They all look at him and say "that's stupid", and go back to playing Guitar Hero.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Surprisingly the crowd is really into it and there are even drunk women in the front, one of them nice enough to flash us a few times. After about 45 minutes, we finish and I have lots of young people, mostly women, around me acting like groupies. I feel the back of my neck burning as if a laser was piercing my skin. I look back and see the wife and her three friends giving me the evil eye.

:thu:

When the woman I sleep with (the same one who foolishly said "I Do" back in '81) is in this modus operandi, I usually hear the caustic phrase:

"SHE'S YOUNG ENOUGH TO BE YOUR DAUGHTER!"

:mad:

Lately though I just tune it out. :rolleyes:

:snax:

I'm turning into a dirty old man...

And I like it. :laugh:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My usual response when my wife says that is: "You say that like it's a bad thing..."
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

It's funny and sad. Live music will not be replaced by DJs or karaoke but a video game system. I hope club owners and promoters fail to read that memo. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Surprisingly the crowd is really into it and there are even drunk women in the front, one of them nice enough to flash us a few times. After about 45 minutes, we finish and I have lots of young people, mostly women, around me acting like groupies. I feel the back of my neck burning as if a laser was piercing my skin. I look back and see the wife and her three friends giving me the evil eye.

:thu:

When the woman I sleep with (the same one who foolishly said "I Do" back in '81) is in this modus operandi, I usually hear the caustic phrase:

"SHE'S YOUNG ENOUGH TO BE YOUR DAUGHTER!"

:mad:

Lately though I just tune it out. :rolleyes:

:snax:

I'm turning into a dirty old man...

And I like it. :laugh:

Tom

BUT SHE's NOT YOUR DAUGHTER as we say in my band

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

lol

I remember a personal pivotal moment many decades ago, when I first found myself attracted to a very hot young woman who was too young to consider, um, getting closer to. A coming of age moment of sorts, I guess.

I remember a similar moment some time later, when I realised the hot woman I was talking to was too young for my son. A coming of old age, I guess.

None of this having anything to do with Rock Band, which I have yet to see in actual operation. That moment will most likely be a coming of ... nausea.

To think that when I first started playing piano, not in bands, but just solo, I used to loathe those wankers at the Wurlitzer store in the mall with their "auto accompaniment".

That would be a step up from "Rock Band".

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

This is pathetic to the nth degree really. I know every generation feels like the one after them is a bunch of lame losers, but this just takes the cake. The 20-somethings have fake music, fake friends (FaceBook, MySpace, etc.), everything they could want at their fingertips. Deep down I knew that kind of thing was going on, but to read a true account is sickening.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

BUT SHE's NOT YOUR DAUGHTER as we say in my band

'tis OK Jim. M'lady is just trying to keep me out of trouble.

'sides... it could be YOUR daughter.

Then I'd REALLY be in trouble, don'tchaknow?

:D

(I don't wanna go BACK to jail.) :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well, there is the story of the older dude who tried to trade his 40 year old wife in for two 20 year olds...then discovered he wasn't wired for 220!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

I was watching Idiocracy the other day, and there are the shots near the end when there are the stands full of bad guitar players. I told Lori, "if that was done now, they'd all be holding Guitar Hero game controllers instead."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived