Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Shine A Light": Where's Chuck?

Ed Coury

I missed Scorsese's "Shine A Light" at the theaters, so I caught it on pay-per-view last night.

I understand why Leavell might not get equal time with Mick, Keith, Ron, and Charlie, but I was disappointed at the fact that he only appeared a few times -- for what seemed like two seconds each time.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It still was a great film. Chuck seemed relatively happy with how he came out in the mix.

On the most recent project, the Shine a Light DVD and soundtrack, I was pretty pleased with the mix. The keyboards are quite up-front. Its a great movie and the soundtrack is great.

BTW, I saw "Shine a Light" in IMAX and didn't enjoy it very much. I felt it was too fast moving and cut too quickly for that medium. OTOH, I bought the DVD and it was great.

P.S. First post back since my cable internet connection returned! Woo hoo! :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

hated it!

to much quick cutting "Miami Vice" type editing: it ended up looking more like a rock video than a show.

Nothing like the elegiac, brilliant Last Waltz

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Chuck deserves more air time! I haven't seen the film yet. The Stones have always had a policy way back to Stew (forgot his last name)of eliminating the keyboard players from the main band image. Back in the 60's they felt Stew wasn't good looking enough but as I understand it he was there from almost the very beginning and was considered part of the original band and a close friend!

Jes my best friend and bandmate since 3rd grade when we were yuts use to hiss at Nicky Hopkins. Thats was my first taste of the disdain for KEYBOARDGUY as Un-R&R MAN!. That kind of re-framed my mind even as a 18 year old kid in terms of the 'Gladiator' circus mentality and perception of the mass populous in regards to what is/is not considered cool.

You know - the Roman Coliseum thumbs up or thumbs down WFW mentality! Well there it is!

That was a funny remark Tonysounds - KeyboardGuyLand! Sad sad but true!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I also haven't seen the film but I took a look at one of the clips and spotted a CP300.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I hate to be the voice of dissent, and I love both Chuck and Ian Stewart's work with the Stones, but ultimately, they were never members of the band. Had they been, they'd have gotten more attention not only in the movie, but in all the years they contributed to the band.

So I don't see how you can blame Scorsese for not spotlighting him in the same way he would Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronny. It's not because Chuck plays keys. I'm sure the backing vocalists also didn't get covered as well as the band members. A side guy is always going to be treated as such.

Technically Stu (Ian Stewart) was a member of the Stones. He was first to answer Brian Jones' ad, and was in the band before Mick, Keith, Charlie, or Bill! But he was kicked out and made road manager and played on recordings and with them live after Andrew Oldham said he didn't fit the "look" of the band. Also, Stu didn't like playing stuff that didn't boogie. That's why they toured with a second keyboard player such as Nicky Hopkins, Ian McLagan, and then Chuck. Stu wouldn't play stuff like Wild Horses. :)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Technically Stu (Ian Stewart) was a member of the Stones.

Absolutely. But since he got demoted to road manager and touring player two years before they'd even made their first album, it's hard to think of a pianist ever having been a "member" of the Stones.

The Stones have long been a funny bunch as far as "members." I heard once that Ronnie wasn't made a true member until years after he had been playing with them. Chuck's been with them 25 years, and Darryl has been with them since 1993. And let's not forget Bobby Keys!

I enjoyed the movie, but didn't love it. Although I play keyboards as well as guitar (keys is actually my main instrument), I found myself really enjoying Richards' tone and the push and pull of what he was playing. But I didn't find the film transcendent. I can't rememember why, but it may have been the editing/pacing, I dunno. I heard the U2 Imax film was amazing, but never saw it.

I'm sure the backing vocalists also didn't get covered as well as the band members. A side guy is always going to be treated as such.

Actually they are seen quite often, throughout the concert (close-ups, too)...as are guest artists. But you're right about the focus being on the main band members.

Of course, Scorsese missed an opportunity to tell a cool inside story by revealing Chuck's roll as music director, and reminding Mick and the boys about the words and music for the tunes they've written over the years :-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I think there's coverage of that in the Biggest Bang DVD set somewhere, IIRC.

Joe,

Thanks for the clarification on that! Here is a picture of Stu!

Looks like he was a nice guy!

http://www.out-take.co.uk/images/new_site/Goldmine.jpg

Tony

Technically Stu (Ian Stewart) was a member of the Stones. He was first to answer Brian Jones' ad, and was in the band before Mick, Keith, Charlie, or Bill! But he was kicked out and made road manager and played on recordings and with them live after Andrew Oldham said he didn't fit the "look" of the band. Also, Stu didn't like playing stuff that didn't boogie. That's why they toured with a second keyboard player such as Nicky Hopkins, Ian McLagan, and then Chuck. Stu wouldn't play stuff like Wild Horses. :)

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Stu was supposedly a sweet dude, it seems so from the fact that he stuck around even after he was kicked out. But you can see from what was described as his "truck driver looks" why they felt he did not fit their image.

But you can see from what was described as his "truck driver looks" why they felt he did not fit their image.

Exactly.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves: we talk about image consciousness of today being the downfall of music, and wax poet about all these classic bands where "the music mattered, dude". But in reality, NEVER has music performance been totally separated from image, and I'm talking about going back to Bach.

So the Stones, a band that's praised for its integrity (and rightfully so), were still forced to abandon a friend and big musical contributor because his facial features weren't pretty. Fair? No. Completely acceptable in the entertainment business? Absolutely.

By the way: I also loved Stu's contributions to some Zeppelin tracks as well. What would "Boogie with Stu" be without Stu, I ask you? :D

By the way: I also loved Stu's contributions to some Zeppelin tracks as well. What would "Boogie with Stu" be without Stu, I ask you? :D
That's funny, because I only realized, after buying the Complete Zep set from iTunes, that it was probably him on piano. I looked up the album credits on allmusic.com, and he was listed. Duh on me. :)

I just read the Wikipedia entry about Stu, and learned something really cool I did not know.

When the Stones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, they requested that Stewart's name be included as a member of the band.

:thu:

Joe,

I think I remember that actually! I heard he would call band practices when the band was lazy about rehearsing and Jagger realized that Stu kept them together musically for many years.

They obviously 'loved' him!

lb

I just read the Wikipedia entry about Stu, and learned something really cool I did not know.

When the Stones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, they requested that Stewart's name be included as a member of the band.

:thu:

Archived